• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock or XD

rocknsnow

imported post

I am looking at either getting a Glock or XD in the near future. I have shot both and like both. I am curious to what people think about both weapons. I am looking at either a 9mm or 45. I like the XD because of the grip saftey, and I have shot one quite a bit. But on the other had I like the Glock because if is tried and tested.

Please let me know what you think. I am curious to what people carry and what peoples preferences are.

Thanks, Tucker

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Proud XD .45 owner here. Also ex-Glock .45 owner. I like the XD alot more. The grip is more ergonomic (you shoot where you point). The Glock has a tendency to til upward in a normal/comfortable shooting grip (at least in my hand) The Xd also feels more balanced to me. The XDs are still a little more expensive though... but I'd say they are better.

molonlabetn

imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
I am looking at either getting a Glock or XD in the near future. I have shot both and like both. I am curious to what people think about both weapons. I am looking at either a 9mm or 45. I like the XD because of the grip saftey, and I have shot one quite a bit. But on the other had I like the Glock because if is tried and tested.

Please let me know what you think. I am curious to what people carry and what peoples preferences are.

Thanks, Tucker

You'll hear good things about both. Generally, the XD is less expensive. The XD wins in terms of ergonomics, as well. The XD is also more forgiving in terms of being able to feed & firea wider variety of ammo without doing damage to the gun (ie, reloads andlead bullets).

Glock has been around for awhile, parts are cheaper and more comon... but the XD has a lifetime warranty... Both are readily modifiable/customizable and have similar capacity. magazines are cheap for both, between $15 & $20...

It really boils down to what you prefer. Neither will let you down. 3 XDs for me, no Glocks.

Tacomatose

imported post

1 more vote for the XD's. I have both XD's and Glocks, and the glocks spend a lot of time in the dark(in the safe). Most people are more comfortable shooting the XD, but if you shoot the glock frequently you will learn to be comfortable with it also. They are both great guns and you will probably never have any issues with either one, it all comes down to the one you feels the best to you. Shoot them both, fondle them both, then shoot them some more and make your decision. I have 9mm's and .45's in both, so if you are ever up this way, let me know and we can hit the range. B

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
It really boils down to what you prefer. Neither will let you down. 3 XDs for me, no Glocks.

3 GLOCKs for me, no XDs. Neither will let you down. It really boils down to what you prefer.

EDIT - I prefer to say Hi Hank! (BobCav):cool:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

rocknsnow wrote:

Thanks, Tucker
I have had Glocks in the Past (ask SGTJensen:lol::cuss:). I would pick the XD if anything maybe even a S&W m&p

GeneticsDave

imported post

Definitely the XD. It has better ergonomics, a grip safety (no need for a Glock Block), it comes with XD Gear (Fobus mag/gun holster and a speed loader) and XDs are so much nicer to look at - Glocks are ugly (IMO).

xmirage2kx

imported post

This site tends to lean more towards XD's than glocks, while other sites will claim XD is trash. I am of the views that you should get a gun endorsed by law enforcement or a military (not necessarily ours). While one can argue that there are much better guns out there, no one can say any issued gun is total trash as they all have their good and bad points. Odds are if you have heard of it, or people who don't shoot have heard of it, then you won’t go wrong. Go to a range or talk to friends and buy what you shoot best. Some people this is a .45 1911, others it’s a .32 kel-tec. 1911, glock, sig, s&w, xd, hk… you won’t really go wrong. Avoid guns like Tanfoglio, Astra, Makarov, Ithaca, Lorcin, etc. While some of them may have a good gun or 2, stick with what is well known and you won’t be disappointed.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

:p:pHankT wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
HankT wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

I have had Glocks in the Past...
What....I hesitate to ask....happened .... to them?
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrateTRADED THEM IN FOR A......

Kimber Pro TLE/RL II

HankT:p:p:pHankT:p:p:pHankT
Thank God!
The Clerk took Them out of the Holster AFTER I gave them too him:p:p:p:celebrate

natehunts

imported post

I own the XD45c and I love it. The only reason I didn't go with the glock was because the XD fit my hands better. Both are great guns.

XD Owner

imported post

I bought an XD because I like the other features which you do not find on the Glock, to wit, tactile/visual loaded chamber and cocked indicators as well as the grip safety also mentioned in this thread. There is also the trigger safety.

And Springfield Armory is an American company. Yeah, I know, the gun is actually made in Croatia, but don't you think SA has a better logo than Glock? I'll take crossed cannons and a flaming cannonball over a G-LOCK.

logo.gif
VS.
Glock-logo.gif

utahxd9

imported post

One more vote for the XD I have owned XDs for the past 4 years & have loved them.

Brian (Tacomatomse) is the ultimate XD guy & has probably put more rounds through his 9 than most (gun) people will shoot in their lifetime. Do you have a count of how many rounds you have shot through your XD9 Brian? Might be an interesting question for another thread.

Jay

Cue-Ball

imported post

Another vote for the Springfield. I own an XD-9 as my daily carry gun and I love it. It's never had a misfeed or failure of any kind, I find it more ergonomic than the Glock (which has too much angle on the grip for my taste), and I really love the features like the tactile loaded chamber indicator and grip safety. I chose 9mm over .45 because it's less expensive to shoot, which means I get to the range more often, and because of capacity.

I like my XD so much that I'm looking to buy a second, and possibly another for my wife as well. I really wish Springfield made a single stack version of the XD to compete with Kahr. I'd be the first in line to buy two of them.

sccrref

imported post

I guess that I will the voice from the dark side. I have a Glock 19 and 21. Love both of them. Love the 19 the best of the two. Never had an XD as of yet but who knows. Finally got the Mrs converted and am starting to look with her and pick out one that she likes and is comfortable with. As many before have said and I must agree, " Shoot each of the guns your are interested in and buy the one that feels most comfortable to you." If you are not comfortable with the gun, it will just become a paper weight somewhere in your house.

unrequited

imported post

XD45ACP wrote:
One more vote for the XD  I have owned XDs for the past 4 years & have loved them.

Brian (Tacomatomse) is the ultimate XD guy & has probably put more rounds through his 9 than most (gun) people will shoot in their lifetime.  Do you have a count of how many rounds you have shot through your XD9 Brian?  Might be an interesting question for another thread. 

Jay
I recommend and carry this guy's handle. It's small, sleek, and has nifty gadgets like a firing pin indicator & loaded chamber indicator. Plus it shoots like a dream out of the box.