• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock or XD

combatcarry

imported post

I don't own either an XD or a Glock. But, if I'm going to shove a gun inside my wasteband (or in my pocket) I want at a minimum either a long hard trigger pull or a grip safety. Glocks scare me... too light of a trigger.... no "actual" safety features.:what:

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

I guess I'm just "old school" (if being a Glock fan can be considered 'old')... :lol: .... I'll take a Glock over a XD any day. XD is actually a great gun... not just good, but great... (please remember I said that!) ;)
but it has many unesessary features and people who choose the XD over the Glock usually are doing so for the wrong/misinformed reasons.
Common 'why' XD reasons:
The XD has a loaded chamber indicator (so does the Glock, the indicator on the Glock just doesn't break after extended firing like many XD's indicators have done)
The XD has a "cocked" indicator - so? overall a worthless unecessary device... if it's loaded (see above LCI), then pulling the trigger will make it go bang... just another gimmick to market it as "better"
My XD has two safeties (grip and trigger) - the grip safety is not only redundant, it gives the user a false sense of security... if you're picking a gun because it has multiple safeties then there is something wrong with your gunhandling skills. BTW, the Glock has 3 safeties, they're just not the "on" "off" kind.
The XD has a better grip angle... granted - but isn't it user preference anyway? That's for you to decide, not me.

So, I'm actually NOT bashing the XD... just saying that a lot about it is uncecessary marketing hype to initially steal some of the Glock market. NOW they should be able to stand on thier own two feet, as there are 100,000+ round XDs out there now and they seem to hold their own against the Glocks in terms of reliability.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I've shot two Glocks, the 17 and the 19 and I've shot the sub-compact XD and the XD Service, both in 9mm... I like the way the XD feels in my hand better than the Glock -- not just the 1911 grip angle, but just how it feels.

I'm a happy XD owner.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

For me, I like the idea of a double action. It is comforting for me to know that I have to pull the trigger before the firing pin starts to move back. On the XD, it is cocked back until you pull the trigger.

XD40coyote

imported post

I haven't fired any Glocks, but I got an XD 40 and so far I like it. I had a man ( practically a neighbor) come into my taxidermy studio and we started talking guns. I show him my XD and he immediatly says " this fits my hand so much better than my Glock". I invited him to come back one day with his Glock so I could try it out, and he in turn could try out my XD ( I have 10 acres of my parents' land to goof off on). His wife may object though if she were to find out he went to the lady taxidermist and we were "playing" with our guns together LOL- even though it would be professional with both of us- no silly stuff.

Deovin1

imported post

I have a Glock 19 (9mm)and 23 (40 cal). I love them both. I carry the23 for some extra punch.

I have shot an XD and I did like it. I think if you go for a 45 you would get shots placed faster with the Glock than you would with the XD. This is because of the angle of the grip on the Glock. The XD will point better at first (but with practice so will the Glock) but the Glock will give you a little edge as far as speed. Both are good guns.

Why aren't you considering a 40 cal? Just curious!

UtahRSO

imported post

One of my friends is a law enforcement officer, and his department mandates Glock 40's. So he's shot his Glock enough to be used to the grip angle. I own an XD9 and an XD40 (and DON"t TELL MY WIFE) I want my next gun to be an XD45. So my friend and I have debated XD vs. Glock until we can't think of anymore to say.

Pretty much every advantage of either one has been mentioned in this thread. The bottom line is they're both good guns, and you just have to choose the one that has the features you most want.

For me, the XD has more features I like: the grip angle, the method of take-down, the fully supported chamber, the rifling that lets me shoot lead bullets for cheaper practice, and the steel sights.

But I can appreciate the easy parts replacement and the simplicity of Glocks. And, just my subjective opinion, the Glock's grip angle MIGHT make recoil just a little easier to handle. But that's not a "for sure" thing in my mind yet.

But here's another thing I BELIEVE, but can't PROVE. Just my own feeling based on the negligent and accidental discharges my friend and I have discussed and/or read about. The XD is a safer gun than the Glock.

Enthusiast

imported post

I am a BIG Glock Fan. I'vebeen issued one and I own four more. I like Glocks because for me, they are about as perfect as you can get. I am a big fan of getting the most perfect gun you can get. This will vary from person to personto what perfect is for them. Ultimately for me I go with the one that is the most reliable, durable and the one that I'm the most accurate with.

Here's something I've posted on some other sites as well.

Getting a Glock, or any other firearm, is a personal choice. What may work for someone else may not work for you. When I first started getting into guns for personal defense, about 12 years ago, I didn't like Glocks. But, then they came out with Gen 3 frame and they didn't seem so bad, but I still wasn't that big of a fan of them.

Later I wanted a small handgun and eventually choose the G27. At the time I all ready had a Sig 226 and a HK USP Compact. As time went on and I changed Departments I was issued a G22 and I started to like them. I have since changed Departments, for the last time, and I was given a choice of G17 or G19. I went with the G17 because it was bigger. I have since become a big fan of them. So much so that I have sold my Sig and HK and ended up buying more Glocks. I now own four Glocks plus the one I'm issued. I hope to get more.

They have got to be one of the most reliable and durable handguns out there. I think that has got to be one of the most important things a person should check into when getting a gun for personal defense.

I know there is a lot of things said about Glocks being unsafe. To me the gun isn't unsafe, it's the person that is handling it that is unsafe. Some people think Glocks are ugly and don't use them for that reason, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if asthetics are what you are using to decide on what gun you use for personal defense, then you need to get a new Mindset.

I don't use Glocks because they are pretty or ugly, I use them because it works everytime I pull the trigger, they require less maintenance than other guns, I'm accurate with it, the magazines hold a lot of ammo, the smaller Glocks will take magazines for bigger Glocks, there are a lot of accessories for them thus making them cheaper and easier to get, and Glocks are more in the middle to lower end of the price scale, although this depends on your area.

For me Glocks are about as perfect as a gun as you can get. Again that is for me, I realize this is not so for everyone. So go to a gun store that has an indoor range and that rents handguns. Shoot the ones you are interested in and then decide which one is the best for YOU. YOU are the one that is going to have to live with the decision.

I am actually looking for a gun store that has Glocks, XD's, and M&P's so I can try them side by side each other to see which one like and if it ends up not being the Glock, then I just might get rid of the Glocks and go with the other that I like better.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

As I'm sure the aim was when the croats designed it, the XD reminds many alot of the 1911. The grip angle, the grip safety, and the SA trigger are all things that make me feel like I'm holding a 1911 (it just holds more rounds ;)).

The main thing I like better about the XD is the SA trigger though. The take up is enough of a "safety" IMO. If your hand's on the trigger, you should be ready to fire anyway.

Glocks are great guns too, and placing Glocks and XDsin the same class is like placing a Volkswagon and a Ferarri in the same class just because they are cars. They both have polymer frames and lack external manual safeties. That is where the similarities really end with these designs.

Bear-n-arms nGA

imported post

Having qualified with both I definitely prefer the XD to the Glock... The XD Is a well balanced tool and where you aim is where it shoots...(unless ur just a terrible shot.) and as far as caliber goes... My personal preference would be the .45 (the greatest handgun caliber of all time) over the 9mm... However, in doing that you increase stopping power at the risk ofsacrificing magazine capacity.

rocknsnow

imported post

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and comments on Glock vs. XD. I rented a glock and borrowed my buddies XD and went to the range a couple of times. I have ended up getting a XD 9, and want to get a 45 as well. So if you see a dark earth XD9 on a hip somewhere it is me.

Thanks.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
Glock .357 DO IT

homer-drool.gif