• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Holster Options for Big Guys

AZRaptor

imported post

I have been carrying concealed for some time now, but recently have decided to start carrying open. I'm still trying to decide which of my guns to open carry. I have a S&W Model 12 .38 revolver, a Colt King Cobra 6in .357 and a Para LDA Companion size 1911 (3.5" barrel), I'm not really in a position to buy anything new right now, so it's gonna have to be one of these. (I actually own a Beretta 92FS and Safariland 6004 thigh rig for it, but it's on loan to my brother).

So after I pick which weapon to carry I need to also pick a carry style. I'm 6'2" and just over 300lbs, so wearing somethingright on the belt close to the hip is uncomfortable, especially when driving. I considered a thigh rig solution, but want to avoid the tacticool, "scaring the sheeple" mall-ninja look since there seems to be a general concensus its not the best option for OC interactions with those not used to seeing it. I believe this would only leave a horizonal (or close to horizontal) crossdraw option or a hip holster that is droppedbelowthe hip.

I'm interested in hearing about any carry options I haven't considered that would fit the bill, as well as thoughts on the ones I did mention.

Heck, it's Arizona, maybe I just need a western style belt rig and some six shooters. :)

Mtn Jack

imported post

Az raptor you are close to being my twin,i carry in the serpa cqc openly.I found that it is a very good holster for seatbelt carry,the gun rides behind the belts and could not bemore comfy. it is also in a very quick draw position.In fact i reached for it yesterday when some guy approched the drivers window unexpected,i was in the off side seat with latch unlocked,thankfully he was leting us know a taillite was burned out.Some people think the holster rides to far out for there liking,but hey we stick way out ,can you say OREOS and milk.Any ?? just ask. Be safe Mtn Jack :D:D I

AZRaptor

imported post

I'm carrying my King Cobra today in a simple UM side holster at 3 o'clock and its not to bad. I don't think it would be easy to draw sitting down. Maybe a belt holster with a bit of a drop on it. I looked but didn't see any cqc bolsters for any of my current weapons. Would a cqc for a larger 1911 work for my ParaOrd LDA 3.5in?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

On the topic of the thigh rig, I'm starting to think it really shouldn't matter. It's just a holster, after all. I just ordered a safariland belt holster, and got a thigh rig platform along with it ($69 for the whole lot...can't complain). I'm planning on using the thigh rig if I want to open carry with a jacket on, or if I'm just feeling froggy. I'm still thoroughly convinced that the reaction you get from people is based waaay more on how you present yourself and how you interact with people and a lot less on the gun and holster you're carrying.

Anyway I would take a look at safarilands holster line. They have a couple different platforms, some of which are dropped.

AZRaptor

imported post

I picked up a couple to try out today. I got a CQC for the 1911. It snaps in there tight, but still rides a little high for what I would like, is their an adapter you can get for them to lower it a bit?

Also, I picked up a western style holster for the King Cobra. It's actually designed for a Ruger Single Six or similar SA revolver, but it fits well enough. The back of the grip comes to the top of the belt so the position is what I wanted, but it is long enough to have the tie strap at the bottom to tie around the leg. The holster hangs straight, but the bottom is a bit away from my leg (not much) so tying it would definately hold it snug. I think it's really designed for a western gunfighter style belt as the "loop" is probably a good 4in of space. Because of that the holster has a ton of vertical play if I try to lift the holster, but drawing the gun leaves the holster in place.

Cheyenne Western Holster #114 by Triple K
114.jpg

Still looking for the ideal solution, but I'm getting closer I think.

spurrit

imported post

If you wear that holster tied down, you are officially a dork.

AZRaptor

imported post

Since this thread was revived with such a rivetting and insightful response I thought I'd post an update and mention I ended up with a Bianchi Cyclone holster for it.

111_l.jpg

spurrit

imported post

How do you like those holsters? Do you pretty much have to use two hands to re-holster? Do they make drawing your gun awkward at all? They look kinda tight around the barrel, which limits the angle of the draw.

AZRaptor

imported post

I have to kick my elbow up a bit higher than I am used to when drawing, but that's more because it's a 6 inch barrel rather than the holster design. The nice thing about the cyclone is that it also has the slots to be mounted as a crossdraw holster. I usually wear it in the vertical 3 o'clock position though. I can reholster with one hand and resnap the thumb break without a problem.

spurrit

imported post

Yeah, a muzzle rearward cant on a long barreled gun sucks. Unless your torso is about nine feet long.

When I build holsters, I make the toe of the holster a little oversized, simply to allow the barrel some sweep when I draw. This allows you to draw and level the gun in a much smoother motion.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm going to break my late personal rule against getting involved in other people's arguments:

Spurrit's behavior resembles the peace of God. (Philippians 4:7)

spurrit

imported post

YOU quoting the bible offends me as a christian.

On a different note, has it occured to you to quit dicking up other people's threads with this childish bullshit? Hell, for that note, do you even have an interest in guns?