• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The term "Sheeple"

Tomahawk

imported post

I am not a wolf or a sheep or a dog or any other kind of animal. I very much dislike that BS analogy.

I also avoid calling people "sheeple" unless they really deserve it by choosing to act defenseless and oblivious, and even then only among friends.

Too many gunowners talk about "scaring the sheeple", meaning anyone in public who is not carrying. That's a little too broad and smacks of being in some sort of elite club.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I am not a wolf or a sheep or a dog or any other kind of animal. I very much dislike that BS analogy.

I also avoid calling people "sheeple" unless they really deserve it by choosing to act defenseless and oblivious, and even then only among friends.

Too many gunowners talk about "scaring the sheeple", meaning anyone in public who is not carrying. That's a little too broad and smacks of being in some sort of elite club.
+1

And as to "I think it's the Superhero (Batman, Spiderman, Superman) in all of us (especially boys) that easily identifies with this; not to mention John Wayne, Hopalong Cassidy, and The Lone Ranger." - This precisely the image I do not wish to foster. While I understand that Captamerica was only referring to his son's positive reactions, many people would like to cast us in the role of hero worshiping, tough guy vigilantes - nothing could be further from the truth. Better to instill the respect for human life and dignity and the belief that the common man can make a difference.
I congratulate you Captamerica for exposing your son to responsible citizenship at an early age. I hope that you do not think that I was criticizing you - I was not.

Yata hey

FogRider

imported post

Sheeple, Amerika, kalifornia, libtards, neocon. All these words are accurate as hell, they just rub me the wrong way. Making up words just to be insulting is just annoying. "It's accurate" is not a good reason to say anything. One of my coworkers is a stupid bitch, but I don't call her that, even if no-one is around (ok, sometimes when no-one is around). I guess it is the same reason I tend to use proper spelling and grammar. I spent to many years learning how to do it right to throw it away just because I am anonymous.

TrueBrit

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Sheeple, Amerika, kalifornia, libtards, neocon. All these words are accurate as hell, they just rub me the wrong way. Making up words just to be insulting is just annoying. "It's accurate" is not a good reason to say anything. One of my coworkers is a stupid bitch, but I don't call her that, even if no-one is around (ok, sometimes when no-one is around). I guess it is the same reason I tend to use proper spelling and grammar. I spent to many years learning how to do it right to throw it away just because I am anonymous.

I like your take on things, Fog, since it surely devolves on us to exercise courtesy, as responsible gun owners, so that we are not perceived as ignorant rednecks!

I tend to view the"sheeple" as "unenlightened folks".

TrueBrit.

kerchaulk

imported post

OK, so "sheeple" is not a "PC" word. I don't think I would use it outside of this forum. But, how many times has the term "Anti-gun" been used about those who we consider uneducated; when it comes to gun laws? When I hear the term "sheeple", I think of those with their heads down trying not to bump into the ass in front of them. Sometimes we may have to use a word that will get somones attention. Isn't that what this site and OC is all about? Helping those around us see something other than what is considered the norm?

just my thoughts.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

'Sheeple' is merely a defamatory epithet. To prohibit epithets, desiring to make rhetoric and language inoffensive, would also gut it of color and liveliness.

Read Shakespeare to see the value of epithets defamatory and otherwise. Shakespeare did not write 'beauty lies in the eye of the beholder,' the author of that aphorism is not known.

I say, 'offense, like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epithet

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

nauss

imported post

Those who are educated to their rights and the laws ARE superior!

Most of the antis live in a fantasy world and gladly give their rights

away to a corrupt government. I don't feel too bad. Sorry.:celebrate

xmirage2kx

imported post

Being Armed or Unarmed does not make you a Sheeple, Ignoring the world around you or wanting to take away my choice does.

possumboy

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:

Being Armed or Unarmed does not make you a Sheeple, Ignoring the world around you or wanting to take away my choice does.

That is a good point. Let me give an example of what I define as sheeple - having nothing to do with being armed or disarmed. In another post LEO 229 gave a great example of what would make a sheeple:

It is the blind compliance with authority, ignoring your rights just to make things easier on both of you.

Do I call people Sheeple, no. Do I use it as a term in my head to people who just give up rights to make things easier - sometimes.

I try not to name call, I hear enough of it from my kids - and the election Ads!

LEO 229 wrote in http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/4659-5.html(you can find many more good examples of how to be a sheeple by reading up on LEO 229's suggestions on best reponses to authority):
Damn.. I just noticed that he drove right past the cop when he turned.

I enjoyed the music but the ka band and clicking sucked. He really should have turned that off. :D

Ok.. here is what I am getting... Be honest.. do you think the answers he gave were appropriate? I can think of some better responses that could have alleviated the whole problem.

Cop: How we doin'... What's going on?

Driver: Nothin'!

:idea:"I am waiting to pick up a friend who is on his way back from work"

Cop: Why you parkin' here?

Driver: Can't I park here? It's a commuter lot!

:exclaim:You do not answer a question with a question. This is a stalling tactic criminals use to gain time toformulate theirlie.If you have a valid reason for being there... just tell him!

:idea:"I am waiting to pick up a friend who is on his way back from work"

Cop: We have problems in here after night time. People breaking into cars.

Driver: OK

:exclaim:Driver is now awarethat this parking lot has cars broken into at night

Cop: Do you have any ID on you?

Driver: Ya I do! OK?!Did I do something wrong?

:idea:"Sure... here is my driver's license. Did I do something wrong?"

Cop: You are a suspicious vehicle right now.

Driver: I'm a What?!

:exclaim:Come one!!! The cop alreadytold you cars get broken into there. You should have figured out that he is wanting to know why your there! You should be explaining your legitimate purpose right now.

:idea:"Oh, I am waiting to pick up a friend who is on his way back from work"

So in my opinion... the driver was being an ass.He knewwhy the cop was there and had explained that crimeshappens in that lot. The cop picked up on itand things got heated.

imperialism2024

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
"...............best responses to authority.........."

When (if ever) are you people going to learn YOU are the authority? ALL power flows from the people, LEO's are SERVANTS, not authority. You've got it ass backwards.
Good point you have there. Some will argue that it's just semantics, but words create our consciousness...

captainamerica

imported post

Just so there is noconfusion on the superhero-John Waynecomment let me clarify that it was not about hero worship or tough guy vigilantism. It is simply about being willing to answer the call for help with bravery in times where many others are unwilling to do so. Not because you're better or more macho but because it needs to be done. Take our WWII veterans (or any service person for that matter) as an example of ordinary men/women but extraordinary response. The 911 fire/police responders is another excellent example. The many variations of the same expression all state it best, "All that is necessary for the forces of evil to take root in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."

Grapeshot wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

+1

And as to "I think it's the Superhero (Batman, Spiderman, Superman) in all of us (especially boys) that easily identifies with this; not to mention John Wayne, Hopalong Cassidy, and The Lone Ranger." - This precisely the image I do not wish to foster. While I understand that Captamerica was only referring to his son's positive reactions, many people would like to cast us in the role of hero worshiping, tough guy vigilantes - nothing could be further from the truth. Better to instill the respect for human life and dignity and the belief that the common man can make a difference.
I congratulate you Captamerica for exposing your son to responsible citizenship at an early age. I hope that you do not think that I was criticizjng you - I was not.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

[align=left]We aren't the only ones referring to the sheep and wolves![/align][align=left] Yata hey
[/align][align=left][font="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"]
[/font][/align][align=left][font="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"]http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=1595550976
[/font][/align][align=left][font="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"]In A NATION OF SHEEP, Judge Andrew P. Napolitano frankly discusses how the federal government has circumvented the Constitution and is systematically dismantling the rights and freedoms that are the foundation of American democracy. He challenges Americans to recognize that they are being led down a very dangerous path and that the cost of following without challenge is the loss of the basic freedoms that facilitate our pursuit of happiness and that define us as a nation. [/font][/align]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nofoa wrote:
Am i weird? I don't consider myself a sheepdog. But i like to think of myself as a sheeple with teeth.
I guess that is a bit better than being a sheepdog with no teeth but why adopt that
personna (sheeple) at all? A good sheepdog does not spend his time posturing and acting aggressive but is capable of defending his flock if need be.
Yata hey

Sitrep

imported post

I've never though of the word sheeple as an insult, it's merely a classification. Sheeple are people that act like sheep, i.e. they stick with the crowd and try not to stick there heads up. I am frequently a sheep-person depending on the situation.

I usually try to blend in with the other cars on the freeway, not going a lot faster or slower, just moving with the herd.