• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should blind people be able to carry concealed firearms?

acrimsontide

imported post

HankT wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

And HankT wrote:

One of the complicating issues that always comes up in the "Should blind guys carry a gun? discussion is what the definition of "blind" is.

Unfortunately, some people are called "blind" who still have some amount of vision.

So, it's important to make the distinction between people who are "blind" meaning they have no visual perception at all (are 100% blind) and those who are "legally blind" who have only a low amount of remaining vision.

Someone who is 100% blind should not carry a gun out in public. Not because they are blind, but because they are incompetent to use it accurately and safely in almost all situations.

Like Glen Beck said on his show today, that doesn't mean a 100% blind person can't own guns. But he's gotta keep 'em at home.

I came up with a novel solution for this dilemma (disabled person who is incompetent to deploy a gun but who still, of course, has a RKBA). A person who is disabled (i.e., 100% blind) should and who wishes to defend himself or herself should have an armed attendant asssigned to him or her for this purpose. This would be similar to other government programs for and regulations regarding disabled people. If they cannot perform certain tasks and operations that are part of their daily life, they will get assistance to do those.

Currently, there are many people who are incapableof excercising their RKBA beause they are disabled. Everyone, including the pro-gun community, simply ignores those people. It's an anamoly for the pro-gun rights side. We simply ignore them. Very ironic...

It sounds to me like some people are saying that losing one's sightequates to losing ones sense of responsibility. Surely the blind could be trained to use low-velocity ammo at contact range only (i.e. muzzle touching target:head, torso, etc.). But it seems I am hearing that because there are disabled people who can't be trusted to be responsible, we shouldn't trust any of them.

Nah, you're reading it wrong.

It's not a question of responsibility. The operative variable is not responsibility. It is competence. A 100% blind person cannot consistently, safelyand accurately determine threats, analyze self-defense situations, or target threats. Of the four rules of gun safety:

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II:
NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III:
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV:
BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

the person who is 100% blind cannot possibly consistently follow Rules II and IV. It's impossible for them to do itexcept in a few very restrictedsituations. The world is a bad place and certainly is a lot more complicated than the few very restricted situations that a 100% blind person might be able to handle.

A 100% blind person is simply not a safe entity in ordinary public spaces. Too much complexity exists.

Same as a100% blind person is not capable of driving a school bus full of children on a suburban school route. It's not bad, or anything. Just the way it is.

Would you send your kid off to school in a bus driven by a100%blind person? No?How'd you like to have your daughter, mother or sisterget shot in the head from a stray bullet fired by a 100% blind person who was "defending" himself against a bad guy or a perceived bad guy?

longwatch wrote:
Maybe someone who holds this view could explain the position that the blind shouldn't be allowed to carry on the street, but only be allowed to be armed in their home? To me this view seems illogical, in circumstance A (the street) the blind are incompetent or too unsafe to defend themselves but in circumstance B (the home) they are competent or safer? Doesn't make sense to me.
The view, as you describe it is quite illogical. But I don't think anyone has expressed that illogical view here. Who do you think has proferred that view, longwatch?

EXACTLY!!! If I were an anti, I would send this thread to the "Brady Bunch"!! Can't you just picture Sarah Brady standing in front of a camara saying something like:

"Can you believe these gun people actually believe that a totally blind person should carry a firearm? Senator Clinton, something must be done!!"

Thundar

imported post

My wife was blind. Legally blind, as defined by Social Security,with a 3 degree visual field and completely night blind. No drivers license, but able to hunt. Where do we draw the line?

XD Owner

imported post

No one has posted this article?

http://www.wesh.com/news/14437963/detail.html

Headline: Blind Man Shoots Home Intruder in Neck

Date: October 27, 2007

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A Gainesville man's lack of sight didn't stop him from defending his home from an intruder.

And the best line in the story, "Officials are praising Williams for protecting himself."

+1 for the visually impaired!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Thundar wrote:
My wife was blind. Legally blind, as defined by Social Security,with a 3 degree visual field and completely night blind. No drivers license, but able to hunt. Where do we draw the line?

100% blindness. 100%lack ofsight. No forms...no light...no nothing...

A person who is so disabled is incompetent to carry and use a gun in public. A person who is 100% blind in public shooting a gun is, frankly, a menace.

PavePusher

imported post

HankT wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

And HankT wrote:

One of the complicating issues that always comes up in the "Should blind guys carry a gun? discussion is what the definition of "blind" is.

Unfortunately, some people are called "blind" who still have some amount of vision.

So, it's important to make the distinction between people who are "blind" meaning they have no visual perception at all (are 100% blind) and those who are "legally blind" who have only a low amount of remaining vision.

Someone who is 100% blind should not carry a gun out in public. Not because they are blind, but because they are incompetent to use it accurately and safely in almost all situations.

Like Glen Beck said on his show today, that doesn't mean a 100% blind person can't own guns. But he's gotta keep 'em at home.

I came up with a novel solution for this dilemma (disabled person who is incompetent to deploy a gun but who still, of course, has a RKBA). A person who is disabled (i.e., 100% blind) should and who wishes to defend himself or herself should have an armed attendant asssigned to him or her for this purpose. This would be similar to other government programs for and regulations regarding disabled people. If they cannot perform certain tasks and operations that are part of their daily life, they will get assistance to do those.

Currently, there are many people who are incapableof excercising their RKBA beause they are disabled. Everyone, including the pro-gun community, simply ignores those people. It's an anamoly for the pro-gun rights side. We simply ignore them. Very ironic...

It sounds to me like some people are saying that losing one's sightequates to losing ones sense of responsibility. Surely the blind could be trained to use low-velocity ammo at contact range only (i.e. muzzle touching target:head, torso, etc.). But it seems I am hearing that because there are disabled people who can't be trusted to be responsible, we shouldn't trust any of them.

Nah, you're reading it wrong.

It's not a question of responsibility. The operative variable is not responsibility. It is competence. A 100% blind person cannot consistently, safelyand accurately determine threats, analyze self-defense situations, or target threats. Of the four rules of gun safety:

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II:
NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III:
KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV:
BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

the person who is 100% blind cannot possibly consistently follow Rules II and IV. It's impossible for them to do itexcept in a few very restrictedsituations. The world is a bad place and certainly is a lot more complicated than the few very restricted situations that a 100% blind person might be able to handle.

A 100% blind person is simply not a safe entity in ordinary public spaces. Too much complexity exists.

Same as a100% blind person is not capable of driving a school bus full of children on a suburban school route. It's not bad, or anything. Just the way it is.

Would you send your kid off to school in a bus driven by a100%blind person? No?How'd you like to have your daughter, mother or sisterget shot in the head from a stray bullet fired by a 100% blind person who was "defending" himself against a bad guy or a perceived bad guy?

longwatch wrote:
Maybe someone who holds this view could explain the position that the blind shouldn't be allowed to carry on the street, but only be allowed to be armed in their home? To me this view seems illogical, in circumstance A (the street) the blind are incompetent or too unsafe to defend themselves but in circumstance B (the home) they are competent or safer? Doesn't make sense to me.
The view, as you describe it is quite illogical. But I don't think anyone has expressed that illogical view here. Who do you think has proferred that view, longwatch?
By your illogic, blind people shouldn't have any right to self-defese at all, let alone with a firearm. Where do you want to draw the line? Can they use knives? Their guide-staffs? Guide dog? Fists? Any tool/weapon/body part can be a lethal instrument, and be used in error. Should they just stand/lie there and take it? What disabilities can utilise what tools/techniques? Blanket prohibitions are what the Anti's want. We're supposedto be the grouppromoting Personal Responsibility. Lets act like it. Most blind people wouldprobably not wish to utilise a firearm, but I'm not going to tell them they can't. I will want them to be fully briefed on theresponsibilities and consequences of their choices...

uncoolperson

imported post

it'd suck to be blind and be told you can't carry a gun... sure you may not actually want to carry because it's not the wisest of ideas, but to be TOLD.

with something like that into effect, i could see my carry rights going away in 10 years... because i have a tremmor, so i'm not that great at hitting a target outside 15 feet without lots of time to steady myself.... so i'm more of a danger to everyone than a normal person.

then we should get rid of the rights of people with long hair, because we all know long hair can impair someone's vision, then sunglasses... can't carry a gun if you have sunglasses.

and we can't leave out people with one arm, the normal citizen joe carrying his pistol is at a higher risk of having it taken from him and used by an attacker on him and others around than someone with two arms.

i like the rules as they are:
are you responsible?
do you respect the law?
can you differentiate between right and wrong decently enough?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
By your illogic, blind people shouldn't have any right to self-defese at all, let alone with a firearm. Where do you want to draw the line? Can they use knives? Their guide-staffs? Guide dog? Fists? Any tool/weapon/body part can be a lethal instrument, and be used in error. Should they just stand/lie there and take it? What disabilities can utilise what tools/techniques? Blanket prohibitions are what the Anti's want. We're supposedto be the grouppromoting Personal Responsibility. Lets act like it. Most blind people wouldprobably not wish to utilise a firearm, but I'm not going to tell them they can't. I will want them to be fully briefed on theresponsibilities and consequences of their choices...
If you read my posts carefully...or even casually...you will see where the suggested line is. 100% blind people should not carry guns in public. That's it. I don't know what you're talking about with dogs and knives...

The reason that 100% blind people should not carry a gun in public is that they are incompetent. And unsafe. They cannot even consistently follow 2 of the 4 Rules of Gun Safety.

100% blind people carrying out in public, in a mall, in a movie theater, in a store, on the street .... are a menace. Once they pull out the gun, best be far away. They will almost certainly be incompetent in the gun's use and are very likely to cause unnecessary damage to property and people. The reason is simple: 100% blind people cannot see anything. This is a fatal deficiency in the operation of a deadly weapon.

I've given it some thought, though. Strikes me that a Taser might be a good choice for 100% blind people. Maybe not, but it'd be better than nothing. And certainly better than a gun...

LEO 229

imported post

A blind guy is going to be no different than any of you in the dark of night.

If you arebeing attacked and you are armed... you need to be aware of your target and what is beyond before you fire. It is up to YOU to be responsible and know when to actually shoot.

Anyone can shoot an attacker when he is right on top of you. A point blank shot to the body can be effective and just as safe as anyone that can see.

GunnyG

imported post

HankT wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
If you read my posts carefully...or even casually...you will see where the suggested line is. 100% blind people should not carry guns in public. That's it. I don't know what you're talking about with dogs and knives...

The reason that 100% blind people should not carry a gun in public is that they are incompetent. And unsafe. They cannot even consistently follow 2 of the 4 Rules of Gun Safety.

100% blind people carrying out in public, in a mall, in a movie theater, in a store, on the street .... are a menace. Once they pull out the gun, best be far away. They will almost certainly be incompetent in the gun's use and are very likely to cause unnecessary damage to property and people. The reason is simple: 100% blind people cannot see anything. This is a fatal deficiency in the operation of a deadly weapon.

I've given it some thought, though. Strikes me that a Taser might be a good choice for 100% blind people. Maybe not, but it'd be better than nothing. And certainly better than a gun...

Breaking news: The State of HankT held a special session of the state legislature, due to citizen concern for safety and the issuance of concealed weapons carry permits. An additional requirement has been added to the current process. Effective1 November 2007, all current permit holders and new applicants for permission to carry concealed weapons will have to be tested for visual acuity. Those who are currently licensed and unable to comply will have their permits revoked.

The new minimum visual acuity threshold of uncorrected 20/10 in both eyes,has been unamimously accepted into law, as was recommended bythe panel of state medical and law enforcement authorities who testified before the legislators. The new lawalso exempts law enforcement personnelfrom this requirement.

Hank,

Are you 20/10? Do we really want to place that muchauthority in their hands? Or should we be able to individually determine our capabilities, and be allowed to act accordingly?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
EXACTLY!!! If I were an anti, I would send this thread to the "Brady Bunch"!! Can't you just picture Sarah Brady standing in front of a camara saying something like:

"Can you believe these gun people actually believe that a totally blind person should carry a firearm? Senator Clinton, something must be done!!"
So what...we are supposed to sensor what we talk about on this forum because the Brady Campaign might want to use it? They are against what we stand for and I'm not going to cower in the corner because they might tell other people their version of what they think I believe. Screw the Brady campaign, and screw worrying about other people misquoting you, because they are going to, no matter how hard we try to watch what we say.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
My wife is and she does. :cool:

LoveMyCountry

*Bonus points for anyone who can guess how we met.

Wow, that's great. If you would like, could you share with us what it's like for her to carry as a blind person? And by the way, Glenn Beck was looking to interview someone who believed in self defense enough to still carry even if they were blind. I don't know if your wife would be interested in that at all, but it might do the cause some good...

And my guess of how you met is: at the eye doctor?

XD Owner

imported post

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=7265 Video pf the guy I posted about earlier. The answer to the off topic question (isn't this an Open Carry forum?) is yes, blind people should be able to open carry, concealed carry, collect, target shoot, hunt, and yes, even defend themselves with guns.

Blind people areprobably even moreresponsible and careful since they are not sighted. I expect blind people to be responsible for their actions. If a blind woman is all alone at a bus stop, it might be prudent for her to carry (concealed) a gun for protection from an opportuistic mugger. Assuming it is a righteous shooting, I highly doubt a grand jury is going to indict an innocent little old blind lady who successfully defends herself.

Hell, Stephen Hawking can conceal carry if he can figure out a way to remotely control the gun. Cool, a wheelchair with a remote control concealedgun for the paraplegic to operate. Or just arm his nurse.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

XD Owner wrote:
Hell, Stephen Hawking can conceal carry if he can figure out a way to remotely control the gun. Cool, a wheelchair with a remote control concealedgun for the paraplegic to operate.

Something like this...

Gun-Chair--14494.jpg

dng

State Researcher
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
LoveMyCountry wrote:
*Bonus points for anyone who can guess how we met.
Blind date?

*dngreer wipes up Coca Cola he just spewed out off his nose and mouth all over the computer monitor and keyboard from laughing so hard at that stupid cheap shot...*

Hilarious; well, as long as LoveMyCountry isn't offended.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
If you arebeing attacked and you are armed... you need to be aware of your target and what is beyond before you fire. It is up to YOU to be responsible and know when to actually shoot.

Anyone can shoot an attacker when he is right on top of you. A point blank shot to the body can be effective and just as safe as anyone that can see.
Exactly! Make the person responsible, let's not create laws and regulations that create the "big brother watching over us" effect.