• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another GOA ALERT on the McCarthy NICS bill

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

Is this the same bill that GOA kept PSH'ing as 'veterern disarmament'? Cause everything I've read (well, except the GOA stuff) about it seems pretty clear cut that all it does is give money to states to put people that are already prohibited into the federal database. Plus it had a provision that would let people who were previously barred under mental health rulings to petition to have their name removed fromt he prohibited persons list. Cause if it is, then it would be MUCH better to have it pass quickly, before some asshat like Ted "Shotglass" Kennedy or Diane "Whatsabarrelshroud" Feinstein tacks on some BS amendment to it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Heartless_Conservative wrote:
Plus it had a provision that would let people who were previously barred under mental health rulings to petition to have their name removed fromt he prohibited persons list.
No, the bill "requires" the states to have such a process, and *might* restrict subsidies if they do not have such a process. Federal section 925 appeals as an end run around lack of state due process have been defunded for years, and no poison pill is in teh McCarthy bill to force refunding by Congress.