• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wikipedia entry...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Was kicking around wikipedia and read the Washington gun laws page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_%28by_state%29#Washington

I added the portion describing lawful open carry. I plan to update it with more information when I have time. Also am thinking about a general Washington open carry page, as there is enough information to justify a full blown entry rather than a couple of paragraphs.

Steve

heresolong

imported post

If I were in charge of editing this entry I would change the wording of the "open carry is questionable" sentence. Although it is accurate it sounds more negative than the actual status. Perhaps "open carry is not prohibited by law" would be sufficient. There are too many people who think that something not endorsed by the state must be illegal. Reality is that everything is legal unless specifically prohibited. I would lose that wording.

heresolong

imported post

Oh wait, turns out I can edit it. Check out the latest version.

I also changed one word so that police departments are now "recognizing" that open carry is legal rather than "affirming". We don't need their affirmation, but rather their recognition that we are breaking no laws.

Hopefully I didn't step on any toes with these edits.

just_a_car

imported post

heresolong wrote:

I also changed one word so that police departments are now "recognizing" that open carry is legal rather than "affirming". We don't need their affirmation, but rather their recognition that we are breaking no laws.

Good job, gents. Enough people are relying on Wikipedia these days for the be-all-end-all of information that it's good to get the word out through there.

Though, we all are aware that the information on there is only as credible as the poster of said information. E.g., you're better off using it as a starting point for research rather than a citation.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

heresolong wrote:

nice edits, cleans things up nicely. The whole reason I started this thread was so we could all tweak it.

Steve

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'm doing some editing of it to add some historical context, and removing some advertising of things (which violates the nuetrality principle).. This is a wikipedia article.

kparker

imported post

I added a few little tweaks (like changing 'effect' to 'affect' in the sentence about transit, and added the disclaimer that there's generally no state preemption on the discharge of firearms.)