• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you a police officer

paramedic70002

imported post

Instead of answering this question, which in my opinion is rude to ask someone to begin with, I propose the following suggestions:

I'm with OCF (which we all know is Open Carry Forum)

Do you need some assistance?

I'm shopping with my family right now, OK?

I just came here to eat. What's your specials today?

You get the idea.

Not to coerce someone into thinking you are an LEO when you're not, just to steer them away from a potential confrontation.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I usually respond with "Why? Is there a problem?" to which they reply "well no, but.." then I cut them off and "ok then, have a nice day".

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I still like 'No I'm just a guy'. I think it's best just to be straight, because what happens if they are asking because they do need an LEO? Mighty embarassing I'd think.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Instead of answering this question, which in my opinion is rude to ask someone to begin with, I propose the following suggestions:

It's not necessarily rude and it's not that big of a deal.

Just say no.

Whatever you do, if it is a woman,PLEASE DO NOT ask her if she hasa vagina.

imperialism2024

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Not to coerce someone into thinking you are an LEO when you're not, just to steer them away from a potential confrontation.
No, it's trying to mislead people into thinking you're an LEO. Why anyone would want to be seen as an LEO is beyond me, but regardless, IMO, it's just as bad as wearing a "concealed carry badge" or writing "gas guzzler tickets". I remember a thread about this a ways back...

But really, is it that hard to just say "No"?

Kastaway

imported post

I just say no. It's a great way to start up a conversation. That way I can tell them that OC is completely legal.

Hell I've been telling everybody I can. I've printed out all the documents I could get my hands on and giving them to everybody I can. The more people that know that it's illegal the less "men with a gun" calls that go bad. IMO

Oooops!!!!

imperialism2024

imported post

Kastaway wrote:
I just say no. It's a great way to start up a conversation. That way I can tell them that OC is completely illegal.

Hell I've been telling everybody I can. I've printed out all the documents I could get my hands on and giving them to everybody I can. The more people that know that it's illegal the less "men with a gun" calls that go bad. IMO
That's good, too. While it wouldn't lessen the number of confrontations at first, it will lead to fewer in the long run. When the people you talk to tell the people they talk to and so on, no more people will be asking "Are you a cop?" because they'll know that it's legal for civilians to carry a gun. Now, if you're carrying a police-issue gun model, then maybe you'll still get questions...

DeltaII5

imported post

Kastaway wrote:
I just say no. It's a great way to start up a conversation. That way I can tell them that OC is completely illegal.

I'm sure that encounter ends well :p

I just say "no, do I look like a cop?" I'm actually in good shape. (couldn't resist that one).

Mainsail

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:

“Are you a police officer?”
No

I will always answer that question definitively. If they counter with the standard follow-up question, “What do you do then?” I give them the same answer I give to the police when they ask, “Where are you coming from tonight?” or “Why do you have a gun?”

“I think that’s my business.”

Yes, after being harassed, threatened, and lied to by the TPD, I no longer feel any obligation to engage them in conversation. If it’s a citizen, I’ll try to judge, based on their demeanor, if they are trying to set me up for a lecture or genuinely curious and answer accordingly.

FogRider

imported post

I actually used the answer "No. Are you?" to the lady cutting my hair. She seemed like she wasn't to freaked out, so I figured a humorous response was alright.

On a semi-related note, I have noticed that I get better service when I OC. No, not for that reason. It's because it's uncommon enough that when I walk into a store some other time, I am immediately recognized. And if you are a fairly nice guy and a good tipper like me, the staff knowing who you are is a good thing.

So, it is in your interest to be polite, because that gun on your hip will get you recognised and remembered. How do you want to be known?

nauss

imported post

Lets all just break down and be one of the "gods amongst men"

I really want to make $29,000 a year and deal with scum all the time.

To give reverence to a cop is disgusting. I don't want them nor have

I EVER called them. I carry and that is ALL the help I need.

LEO 229

imported post

nauss wrote:

Please allow me to take this time to thank you for your kind words. :(

I like being able to help others and answer questions to permit them to be safe and use the law to their advantage. It is fortunate that I do not really deal with just the scum of society. I talk to everyday citizens and victims of crime too.

I protect and defend those that are not capable of doing it themselves due to age, handicap, mental deficiency, or injury.

I arrest the scum that break into homes and cars,rape, rob, assault, andkill others.

It is good to know that good people like you are out there that do not want us and do not call us. This gives me more time to help those truly in need.

I hope that you will have the resources and expertise to conduct your own investigations if you and your family areever avictim of any crime. Your gun can only do just so much.

PavePusher

imported post

HankT wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:

Just say no.

Hank, did you get slapped?!:lol:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
HankT wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:

Just say no.

Hank, did you get slapped?!:lol:

Nah. I didn't do it.

Mark did:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/5360.html

He was rather pleased with himself...

expvideo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
nauss wrote:

Please allow me to take this time to thank you for your kind words. :(

I like being able to help others and answer questions to permit them to be safe and use the law to their advantage. It is fortunate that I do not really deal with just the scum of society. I talk to everyday citizens and victims of crime too.

I protect and defend those that are not capable of doing it themselves due to age, handicap, mental deficiency, or injury.

I arrest the scum that break into homes and cars,rape, rob, assault, andkill others.

It is good to know that good people like you are out there that do not want us and do not call us. This gives me more time to help those truly in need.

I hope that you will have the resources and expertise to conduct your own investigations if you and your family areever avictim of any crime. Your gun can only do just so much.
If this is true, thank you. I wish some of the cops out here could take a lesson from you, because it's become pretty clear that the majority of them are not interested in helping people. We need more police officers that feel the way you do about helping people. I'm not saying that none of them have the right attitude; I'm saying that there are enough (however few) that don't. Thank you for setting a good example. I hope more people will follow it.