Thread: Permit Renewal

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

To renew a CHP permit, is there some requirement now to fill out an application like it was my first time to apply for one? My current permit expires in Jan. 08, so I called the Clerk of Court in Buena Vista to see what I needed to do. He said I needed to fill out an application, and sign it in front of somebody that worked there, or a notary. Then pay $15. He sent me an application for a CHP permit. I don't even remember what I did the last time when I renewed, I know I filled out a form, paid my money. But I don't remember a form like the one that was sent. Question 10 on the the form that was sent wants documentation that I know how to use a firearm. Wouldn't they have all that on file from when I orginally applied way back in the 1990s? I've had a permit for a long time, ever since the law changed. I hope this isn't some new thing which is as a result of the Tech shooting. I can make copies of all my training. But wouldn't they have all that on file from when I orginally applied?

Post imported post

In Fairfax County, they accepted a copy of my existing permit as "proof of training."

Post imported post

That's good to know.

Post imported post

I dont believe it has anything to do with the tech shootings or anything else.They have changed the form or I should say done away with the renewal forms. The only form available is the original form.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Remeber, no SSN required - write "Not disclosed, if any" in that block.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
    To renew a CHP permit, is there some requirement now to fill out an application like it was my first time to apply for one? My current permit expires in Jan. 08, so I called the Clerk of Court in Buena Vista to see what I needed to do. He said I needed to fill out an application, and sign it in front of somebody that worked there, or a notary. Then pay $15. He sent me an application for a CHP permit. I don't even remember what I did the last time when I renewed, I know I filled out a form, paid my money. But I don't remember a form like the one that was sent. Question 10 on the the form that was sent wants documentation that I know how to use a firearm. Wouldn't they have all that on file from when I orginally applied way back in the 1990s? I've had a permit for a long time, ever since the law changed. I hope this isn't some new thing which is as a result of the Tech shooting. I can make copies of all my training. But wouldn't they have all that on file from when I orginally applied?
    I don't know whether or not if varies from one county to the next, but the fact that one has a current CCW exempts them from supplying training documentation for a renewal in the county where I live. Prince William makes the renewal process pretty simple and straight forward. I would do a little more research were I you so you do it right when the time comes.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

wilkie wrote:
    I dont believe it has anything to do with the tech shootings or anything else.They have changed the form or I should say done away with the renewal forms. The only form available is the original form.
    That's good to know, I really wondered about that.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Remeber, no SSN required - write "Not disclosed, if any" in that block.
    The SSN is, of course, optional.

Leaving it off the formwould only prevent some other third partyfromseeing it before it is processed.

It caneasily be obtainedwhile checking your DMV return. So leaving it out does not mean it will never be discovered or used.

If your name is common and can be confused with someone else.... the SSN will help to identify that a bad record entry does NOT belong to you.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    The SSN is, of course, optional. . . .It caneasily be obtainedwhile checking your DMV return.
    Even assuming that CHP background checkers are accessing VA DMV records to gain access to SSNs, highly protected personal information under the federal Drivers Privacy Protection Act, not all CHP applicants have VA DLs, and a few that do have not disclosed any SSN to the DMV.

Post imported post

Thanks to all for your information.

Post imported post

18.2-308.G of the Virginia code lists the requirements accepted as demonstrating proof of competancy. Only one of those requirements has to be met.

18.2-308.G.6, says "Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;". If they demand something else they are in violation of the code. I believe it was the judge in Smyth Co. that was telling someone their firearms training certificate was expired and they would have to go through firearms training again, but that is B.S. according to 18.2-308.G.6.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.