Thread: Concealed carry in cars

Post imported post

http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstori...1aafdfc28.html

Don't know if this has hit the forum yet, but since I lived in Texas for two years, it caught my eye.

"Mannewitz said he recommends bolting the gun down inside the car when leaving it behind."

What an ass...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Well, "bolting it down" sounds a bitawkward, but I DO recommend a serious/quality car safe for storing valuables in -- including guns -- if you have to leave them in your vehicle for whatever reason.

In my case, I have removedmy two rear seats from my HondaCR-V (for more cargo space and I don't need to carry more than one passenger usually) and have used the pre-existing seat mounting bolt-holes to mount my small safe...which is large enough even to put my laptop and PDA in ALONG with any handgun(s).

I definitely recommend SOME type of security for guns left in vehicles...even if it's only padlocking the trigger-guard to a seat frame, a heavy-duty eyeboltyou install or to something else in your car.

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

Oh, I fully agree that it should be secured somehow. But it sounded like he thought you should run a carriage bolt through the trigger guard and into the floor or something. Maybe I'm too paranoid/reading too much into his comment? Or I'm getting cranky in my middle age?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Yes, "bolting it" sounds like you wouldn't be able to get to it quickly...unless he meant doing that only if you had to leave it in the car unattended.

Cranky in your Middle Age? I'm a bit older than you...so I can tell you don't worry...it should get worse.

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

Gosh, Thanks!:?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Why not just lock it in the glove compartment? My only problem with that has ever been that my GC is rather small and won't fit a handgun in its holster (I can take it out and it fits though). Nobody looking in will see anything worth stealing, and if they get in the car thay have to pick the lock to the GC to find your gun.