Thread: Problems with guns

Post imported post

What kinds of things break on semi-autos and how common/frequent are these problems? What kinds of things can one do to prevent them? More generally, what kinds ofguns have bad track records?

Lastly, can you learn to fix these kinds of things yourself?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Good question, moved up to Selecting a Handgun.

The things that break depend on the model of firearm. What one can fix also depends on the gun.
    Small springs, extractors, firing pins, magazine release assemblies are what I have seen break the most. Usually those things are not to hard to learn to fix.
    I'm sure there are others on par but one of the most reliable and also easy to fix guns is a Glock. Here is a good video on how to detail strip one.
    http://vaguninfo.com/videos/glock.htm

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:

The things that break depend on the model of firearm. What one can fix also depends on the gun.
    Small springs, extractors, firing pins, magazine release assemblies are what I have seen break the most. Usually those things are not to hard to learn to fix.
    I'm sure there are others on par but one of the most reliable and also easy to fix guns is a Glock. Here is a good video on how to detail strip one.
    Awesome vid, Ian. Thanks!!

How hard is it to get parts for Glocks? Where can you buy them?

Oh, and, Ian, where did you learn to disassemble (and even more impressive, re-assemble) your gun?

Post imported post

ama-gi wrote:
    How hard is it to get parts for Glocks? Where can you buy them?
    Glock parts are the simplest gun parts to locate. Just about ANY gun store sells them, or google "glock replacement parts" and choose from over 100 good places.

Post imported post

If you have ever owned a Glock 23, you may know what I am talking about. The spring seems to have a problem with slipping down on the part where it rests against the barrell. Has anyone ever had the back of their spring break? I have shot less than 200 rounds through my G23, but every time I disassemble it, the spring looks like it is barely holding on. Is it going to break? I am sure I could buy a better spring.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

after 10,000+ rounds through one of my Glock 19s and ~3,000 rounds through the other, I've not had anything break.

It's been recomended to change out the recoil spring assembly w/Glock factory parts (at factory rates) every 5K rounds, or so. I've done that & never had issues.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:

Excellent video. Thanks.

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    If you have ever owned a Glock 23, you may know what I am talking about. The spring seems to have a problem with slipping down on the part where it rests against the barrell. Has anyone ever had the back of their spring break? I have shot less than 200 rounds through my G23, but every time I disassemble it, the spring looks like it is barely holding on. Is it going to break? I am sure I could buy a better spring.
    That is normal.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson