• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Problems with guns

sjhipple

imported post

What kinds of things break on semi-autos and how common/frequent are these problems? What kinds of things can one do to prevent them? More generally, what kinds ofguns have bad track records?

Lastly, can you learn to fix these kinds of things yourself?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Good question, moved up to Selecting a Handgun.

The things that break depend on the model of firearm. What one can fix also depends on the gun.
Small springs, extractors, firing pins, magazine release assemblies are what I have seen break the most. Usually those things are not to hard to learn to fix.
I'm sure there are others on par but one of the most reliable and also easy to fix guns is a Glock. Here is a good video on how to detail strip one.
http://vaguninfo.com/videos/glock.htm

sjhipple

imported post

longwatch wrote:

The things that break depend on the model of firearm. What one can fix also depends on the gun.
Small springs, extractors, firing pins, magazine release assemblies are what I have seen break the most. Usually those things are not to hard to learn to fix.
I'm sure there are others on par but one of the most reliable and also easy to fix guns is a Glock. Here is a good video on how to detail strip one.

Awesome vid, Ian. Thanks!!

How hard is it to get parts for Glocks? Where can you buy them?

Oh, and, Ian, where did you learn to disassemble (and even more impressive, re-assemble) your gun?

xmirage2kx

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
How hard is it to get parts for Glocks? Where can you buy them?
Glock parts are the simplest gun parts to locate. Just about ANY gun store sells them, or google "glock replacement parts" and choose from over 100 good places.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

If you have ever owned a Glock 23, you may know what I am talking about. The spring seems to have a problem with slipping down on the part where it rests against the barrell. Has anyone ever had the back of their spring break? I have shot less than 200 rounds through my G23, but every time I disassemble it, the spring looks like it is barely holding on. Is it going to break? I am sure I could buy a better spring.

FightingGlock19

imported post

after 10,000+ rounds through one of my Glock 19s and ~3,000 rounds through the other, I've not had anything break.

It's been recomended to change out the recoil spring assembly w/Glock factory parts (at factory rates) every 5K rounds, or so. I've done that & never had issues.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:

Excellent video. Thanks.

VAopencarry

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
If you have ever owned a Glock 23, you may know what I am talking about. The spring seems to have a problem with slipping down on the part where it rests against the barrell. Has anyone ever had the back of their spring break? I have shot less than 200 rounds through my G23, but every time I disassemble it, the spring looks like it is barely holding on. Is it going to break? I am sure I could buy a better spring.
That is normal.