• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who wants signs proclaiming property rights?

klasikahl

imported post

I saw this sign on Wikipedia. It was custom-made by a North Carolina property owner. I am considering having some made to reflect Arizona law. If you would perhaps be interested in purchasing one, please let me know so that I may estimate demand.

Here's a picture of the sign in question:
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Defense_of_Habitation_citation.JPG
Sorry, the message board gets overzealous with smilies and doesn't like the :D in the above URL.

Here's a link to the new (April 24, 2006) Arizona law: http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/47leg/2r/laws/0199.htm

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd like one in Nevada, but unfortunately we have no such state law. Although police and prosecutors have shown common sense (it's not murder when it's self-defense) in this area, no law on the books means an overzealous prosecutor could bring charges against any would-be victim of a violent crime.

blacks13hb

imported post

Couldn't you get charged with pre-meditated murder if you put this sign up and then shoot someone.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

blacks13hb wrote:
Couldn't you get charged with pre-meditated murder if you put this sign up and then shoot someone.
That's like saying one could be charged with pre-meditated murder for purchasing a firearm for "home protection" and then shooting an intruder. I didn't buy it to put it in a drawer and forget about it. I bought it to shoot someone who is trying to hurt me or my family.

But I think the real point is that it's not murder in the first place. The law in NC where this sign is posted clearly allows the homeowner to use whatever force the homeowner determines to be necessary. Since it's not murder, the aggrevated or pre-meditated charge wouldn't apply.

Fallguy

imported post

NO...not at all

T.C.A. 36-11-611(c) says....

Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury within a residence, dwelling or vehicle is presumed to have held a reasonable belief of imminent death or serious bodily injury to self, family, a member of the household or a person visiting as an invited guest, when that force is used against another person, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence, dwelling or vehicle, and the person using defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred. (emphasis added)

Now...by no means am I condoning shoot everyone that walks in the door. But if some breaks into your house...you can use deadly force immediately if you choose to.

blacks13hb

imported post

Thx a lot for clearing that up. I just recently bought my first gun and want to get familiar with the laws so that I can assure the safety of my family and community.

Thx again for all the much needed and helpful info.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What state are you in?

I would caution you that state laws are very different. For example, here in Nevada, if I were to post that sign, I fear it would constitute a threat of bodily harm (since there is no state law I can reference regarding self defense).

Before posting such a sign, research whether doing so would be against the laws in your state.

Fallguy

imported post

Ok...I'm still messing around with the file. Here is one that is worded a little differently.

Attachments

• Right of Habitation 3.doc
    20 KB · Views: 140

blacks13hb

imported post

I'm in AZ and currently looking at the ARS to learn more about the laws. That las sign looks like it would cause less problems.

Fallguy

imported post

blacks13hb wrote:
I'm in AZ and currently looking at the ARS to learn more about the laws. That las sign looks like it would cause less problems.

What you might be looking for is ARS 13-418.

13-418. Justification; use of force in defense of residential structure or occupied vehicles; definitions

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, a person is justified in threatening to use or using physical force or deadly physical force against another person if the person reasonably believes himself or another person to be in imminent peril of death or serious physical injury and the person against whom the physical force or deadly physical force is threatened or used was in the process of unlawfully or forcefully entering, or had unlawfully or forcefully entered, a residential structure or occupied vehicle, or had removed or was attempting to remove another person against the other person's will from the residential structure or occupied vehicle.

B. A person has no duty to retreat before threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force pursuant to this section.

C. For the purposes of this section:

1. "Residential structure" has the same meaning prescribed in section 13-1501.

2. "Vehicle" means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, that is designed to transport persons or property.

The presumption part can be found in ARS 13-419.

13-419. Presumption; exceptions; definitions

A. A person is presumed to be acting reasonably for the purposes of sections 13-404 through 13-408 and section 13-418 if the person is acting against another person who unlawfully or forcefully enters or entered the person's residential structure or occupied vehicle, except that the presumption does not apply if:

1. The person against whom physical force or deadly physical force was used has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the residential structure or occupied vehicle, including an owner, lessee, invitee or titleholder, and an order of protection or injunction against harassment has not been filed against that person.

2. The person against whom the physical force or deadly physical force was used is the parent or grandparent, or has legal custody or guardianship, of a child or grandchild sought to be removed from the residential structure or occupied vehicle.

3. The person who uses physical force or deadly physical force is engaged in an unlawful activity or is using the residential structure or occupied vehicle to further an unlawful activity.

4. The person against whom the physical force or deadly physical force was used is a law enforcement officer who enters or attempts to enter a residential structure or occupied vehicle in the performance of official duties.

B. For the purposes of this section:

1. "Residential structure" has the same meaning prescribed in section 13-1501.

2. "Vehicle" means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, that is designed to transport persons or property.

Fallguy

imported post

So a sign for AZ might look something like this.

You could also change the word "will" to "may" if you want to be more friendly.:)

Attachments

• AZ Posted.doc
    20 KB · Views: 226

mzbk2l

imported post

blacks13hb wrote:

blacks13hb, stop in one of your local gun stores or get on Amazon and get a copy of "The Arizona Gun Owner's Guide." Probably the best book you can own, living in Arizona. That should answer all of your questions about keeping and carrying a gun here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I had a sign years ago on my side door that read:
WARNING
Trespassers Will Be Shot
Survivors Will Be Shot Again
My liability insurance agent, a personal friend, almost had a heart attack when he saw it and virtually demanded that it come down immediately. He said that the company and maybe law enforcement would see it as premeditation. We do not have the right/privilege of using deadly force to protect property in Va.

Something to consider.

Yata hey

Fallguy

imported post

That is bad Grapeshot. :( Not that I didn't believe you, but I was going to see what I could find myself on handgunlaw.us That is where I found AZ's and some other states.And for Deadly Force laws it hadunknown for which laws cover it. Sort of weird for a Gold Star open carry state.

And just to clarify the laws I have posted about TN and AZ only cover someone unlawfully entering or attempting to enter your residence, dwelling or a car. NOT just walking across your yard.

Probably shouldn't say this on an open forum...but my dad use to always say, "Shoot them in the yard and drag them in the house." Of course that was before the days of CSI etc....lol :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Fallguy wrote:
That is bad Grapeshot. :( Not that I didn't believe you, but I was going to see what I could find myself on handgunlaw.us That is where I found AZ's and some other states.And for Deadly Force laws it hadunknown for which laws cover it. Sort of weird for a Gold Star open carry state.

And just to clarify the laws I have posted about TN and AZ only cover someone unlawfully entering or attempting to enter your residence, dwelling or a car. NOT just walking across your yard.

Probably shouldn't say this on an open forum...but my dad use to always say, "Shoot them in the yard and drag them in the house." Of course that was before the days of CSI etc....lol :)
Deadly force can only be used by Virginia citizens to protect a life or prevent serious bodily harm - never for the protection of property.

Case law carries this even further with disallowing even brandishing to protect your property. http://www.virginia1774.org/Page5.html

There are other applications of case law of course but it may well have to be settled in court with attorneys, time and lots of money.

Yes, we enjoy some measure of success on shall issue and open carry but there is still much work to be done.

P.S. Never, never alter or tamper with what will become evidence. That will, repeat will, rise up and bite you in the posterior.

Yata hey

Fallguy

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Deadly force can only be used by Virginia citizens to protect a life or prevent serious bodily harm - never for the protection of property.

Well that is pretty much the same in TN. There is just a presumption in the law that states if the person forcibly enters yourhouse the law assumesyou are in fear ofserious bodily harm ordeath. So that in the heat of the moment you don't have to try and figure out what his intentions are and possible wait till it's too late. But not if the person is simply onyour property. Then there is no presumption.

As far as the first case in your link..in TN a situation like that is directly addressed by statute and it not allowed byT.C.A. 39-11-611(d)(1) says...

(d) The presumption established in subsection (c) shall not apply, if:

(1) The person against whom the force is used has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the dwelling, residence, or vehicle, such as an owner, lessee, or titleholder; provided, that the person is not prohibited from entering the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle by an order of protection, injunction for protection from domestic abuse, or a court order of no contact against that person;

As far as my little joke....that's all it was...lol