• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not real sure about WHY open carry?

shadow106

imported post

First off, I just retired after 42 years in law enforcement. I've worked city, county, state, and federal level at one time or another, and had a great career. I am an advocate of citizens bearing arms anywhere, anytime, and have actively promoted training in the state where I came from.

Although the state where I retired is an OC locale from side to side, top to bottom, I have never really understood the mentality for doing so. I can see that one may open carry for hundreds of reasons, but I also am of the opinion that discrestion is the better tactic, and surprise in a hot situation can often win the day.

For sure, OC can also stop some situations before they occur, or at least tame them down a bit, but OC for no good reason can also bring out the "gun slinger" in the Adam Henry who is whacked out of his mind most of the time. Hell, even Wyatt carried his coat over his weapon most of the time. Uncovered when he needed it. Seemed to work back then, and four decades of living with weapons and bad guys five or more days a week has never given me cause to believe otherwise.

I guess that what I'm saying here is, when I see OC, I assume the person has a good reason for making that choice, and I will respect that. But I'll probably keep an eye on that person while around them, just in case their six pack is short a can or two.

Shadow106

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

There are tacticle upsides and downsides to OC.

Also, OC provides a great option generally, and provides for a carry right thru states which do not accept your states' carry permits.

But the real upside is political - gets gun carry out of the closet - "seeing" is believeing and breeds tolerance by the public.

Mainsail

imported post

I carry openly mostly for convenience and comfort. IWB, even with a high dollar holster like a Milt Sparks Versa-max, is not very comfortable. I also like the option of concealing beneath my jacket; if I get hot or go inside a shop or restaurant, I can remove my coat and carry openly.

FogRider

imported post

It's cheaper (close to $200 to get your CWP in Colorado).
More comfortable than having several pounds of metal in your pants.
Excellent conversation starter.
Bad guys really don't like to see guns (I have had at least two instances of probable shoplifters leave a convenience store in a hurry after seeing my gun).
I have nothing to hide. This includes my gun (see previous example).
And possibly the most important reason: I like to OC, and there is no good reason to deny me that right.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

It's cheaper than getting a CCW (about $200-$250 here in Ohio for training and permit), it has the advantage of being easier to access your gun, and it is still a right versus the "privilege" of concealed carry.

Slowhand

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Bad guys really don't like to see guns (I have had at least two instances of probable shoplifters leave a convenience store in a hurry after seeing my gun).
And possibly the most important reason: I like to OC, and there is no good reason to deny me that right.
I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Slowhand

imported post

Slowhand wrote:
FogRider wrote:
I couldn't have said it any better myself.
Except to add that right not exersized is a right lost.

Slowhand

imported post

Most people that I have spoken with who first start to Open Carry are a little apprehensive at first. Probably because they want to make sure that they do not break a law and perhaps lose what freedom they have. That is what this forum is for.

I have often tried to put myself into the frame of mind of a convicted felon. I don't think most felons would want to advertise the fact that they are carrying. Think about it. If a felon decided to carry, what would they do if they were stopped by a LEO who is investigating a crime. Let's say a convenient store was just robbed and the description given was white male/black male with a gun. Nothing more. And a LEO sees you on the sidewalk Open Carrying.Now he has cause in his investigation to ask for your ID. You have to give it to them. Even if you were not involved, all of a sudden a check shows that you are a convicted felon. You go to jail.

Peopleneed to get used to the fact that most people open carrying have nothing to hide. Sure, there are some mentally ill people out there that might try it, but I don't think a convicted felon would want to draw attention to themselves. AndI don't think there are enough wackos out there to justify taking away our right to carry.

Even if a felon knows the law,they run a great risk of being approached. I think that when it comes down to open carrying people need to realize that they shouldn't be afraid. They should look and think, if something goes down, I want to be behind that guy. Or, at least not in his line of sight. I think that the OC individual that dresses normally (not like a "hood") and is respectful to the public sends a calming message about lawful citizens who OC.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

There are up and down sides to OC.

As I see it the upsides are:
1. Political activism - helping our rights through education and awareness
2. deterrent to crime
3. Quicker draw should you need it
4. more comfortable/convenient (don't have to dress "around" gun)

Downsides to OC:
1. No "element of surprise" should you need it
2. harrassment by LEOs, and dealing with comments from the public
3. It snags on my seatbelt when getting out of the car (I'm left handed)

For me, #1 of the upsides outweighs all the rest.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Here is my reason: The application requires that you provide a 100% accurate list of every place you've lived in the past 10 years. also the exact duration down to the month. I have moved 8 times in 10 years.. I don't remember that crap. I can walk into a gun store,purchase any handgun I want, throw it in a holster and walk out in less than 20 minutes, but to conceal it, I have to fill out an application the size of the dead sea scrolls and wait a month. Makes no sense.

Think of it this way. This weekend here in Vegas a 35 year old man was executed in broad daylight, in front of his 2 young children. He was not carrying any weapons.

By whatever means possible, carry your gun. DO IT! I don't care if it "scares people" or is "not tactical."

[align=center]
3d_1.JPG
[/align]

FogRider

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
There are up and down sides to OC.

***snip***

Downsides to OC:
1. No "element of surprise" should you need it

***snip***
I thought about the element of surprise, and I am not positive it's all that it's made out to be. I want a BG to know I am carrying, as he will probably think twice about attacking me. And if he is still willing to come after me knowing I have a gun, then I am dealing with a whole different brand of crazy, and I am not at all confident that pulling a gun out of concealment would make any difference with this type of guy.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Not real sure about WHY open carry?

Well, your at the right site to learn.... Why not read (and learn) before opening your mouth?
I mean seriously? I always become suspicious of these "why open carry" threads from newbies. There is lots of reasons or else we would not be here. If you came here to learn take the initiaitive and read. If you disagree with any or all the reasons then post it! Discuss.
But to post a vague "why" when you have obvously not researched is lazy at best and indicative of trolling at worst.

And I tire of the "suprise" argument. The most common and weakest of all the anti-oc arguments.
If the crime is deterred there is no need for a "surprise". A surprise you ma not be able to get to before your dead.
Why invite a surprise? Advertise that you are not in the market. :)

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Fogrider, PApatriot... I just listed the surprise deal to pacify certain elements on here.:p
Frankly, like you said OC deterrs many incidents, and thus the whole "element of surprise" deal is largely irrelevant, though I'm sure there are a few situations where it'd be helpful. Overall, thanks for bringing it up... I won't be adding it to any lists of mine in the future.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
...But to post a vague "why" when you have obvously not researched is lazy at best and indicative of trolling at worst...

I'm sorry PP, but I have to disagree with you. This person may indeed be a troll, but s/he seems a darn polite one - which would be unusual in my experience.

I'm glad s/he at least asked, and I HOPE s/he will post again.

Ya'll come back now, hear?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

shadow106 wrote:
First off, I just retired after 42 years in law enforcement. I've worked city, county, state, and federal level at one time or another, and had a great career. I am an advocate of citizens bearing arms anywhere, anytime, and have actively promoted training in the state where I came from.

Although the state where I retired is an OC locale from side to side, top to bottom, I have never really understood the mentality for doing so. I can see that one may open carry for hundreds of reasons, but I also am of the opinion that discrestion is the better tactic, and surprise in a hot situation can often win the day.

For sure, OC can also stop some situations before they occur, or at least tame them down a bit, but OC for no good reason can also bring out the "gun slinger" in the Adam Henry who is whacked out of his mind most of the time. Hell, even Wyatt carried his coat over his weapon most of the time. Uncovered when he needed it. Seemed to work back then, and four decades of living with weapons and bad guys five or more days a week has never given me cause to believe otherwise.

I guess that what I'm saying here is, when I see OC, I assume the person has a good reason for making that choice, and I will respect that. But I'll probably keep an eye on that person while around them, just in case their six pack is short a can or two.

Shadow106

" ...guess that what I'm saying here is, when I see OC, I assume the person has a good reason for making that choice, and I will respect that. But I'll probably keep an eye on that person while around them, just in case their six pack is short a can or two."...

It's Person that DOES NOT OC that I keep my eyes on. By seeing a OC carrier I KNOW where that "Threat" is. To me...a person that OCs is NOT the Problem because they do know that they can be approched by a LEO and thus have their info "run" in the Comp. A Felon does NOT want this.

I worry about ALL the CCW weapons that Criminals carry that ARE dangerous. The ones you CANNOT see, cuz he/she can all of a sudden walk up to you "with the Element of Surprise" right on your head. BANG !!!

WHO to TRUST : OCers

WHO NOT to TRUST (as much) : CCWers, due to Criminals that CCW WITHOUT a Permit

Just my .44