• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Public Library

amlevin

imported post

Is the Library truly a branch of City Government? Or does it just use the City name? It is governed by a separate board of Directors and is funded by a Foundation.

Mayor Quimby will probably claim they have the right to ban guns because they have the right to govern their own property.

Note that the regulations didn't mention any fines or penalties other than exclusion from the property. The threat of prosecution is lame and will only occur if someone refuses to leave.

Essentially it is private property owned by a quasi-governmental body that is using the city's name.

44Brent

imported post

Seattle Public Library is an entity that is funded, owned, and controlled by the City, as are the parks department, fire department, and police department. All assets owned by the library are paid for by taxpayers.

They are looking a big lawsuit in the face the first time that they or the police attempt to enforce their "rules".

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

This is the email I sent to the SPL.

Ms. Jacobs;

I am disturbed and saddened that the Seattle Public Libraries choose not only to ignore Washington State law on lawfully carried firearms. RCW 9.41.290 makes the matter very clear. Not only are you violating the law, you are creating a dangerous "free fire zone" that can only encourage needless tragedies to occur. As a valid concealed pistol license holder I have been subjected to fingerprinting and an exhaustive FBI background check. I suggest I am the last person you would want to disarm in your library. Furthermore, should I or any other person who may lawfully own a firearm can openly carry a pistol within the library. I suggest you speak with the King County Sheriff's Office regarding open carry of pistols.

I suggest you rethink your illegal actions before the SPL has to pay out large sums of money to law abiding citizens harassed by your unlawful and unjust policy.

Mainsail

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
This is the email I sent to the SPL.

Ms. Jacobs;

I am disturbed and saddened that the Seattle Public Libraries choose not only to ignore Washington State law on lawfully carried firearms. RCW 9.41.290 makes the matter very clear. Not only are you violating the law, you are creating a dangerous "free fire zone" that can only encourage needless tragedies to occur. As a valid concealed pistol license holder I have been subjected to fingerprinting and an exhaustive FBI background check. I suggest I am the last person you would want to disarm in your library. Furthermore, should I or any other person who may lawfully own a firearm can openly carry a pistol within the library. I suggest you speak with the King County Sheriff's Office regarding open carry of pistols.

I suggest you rethink your illegal actions before the SPL has to pay out large sums of money to law abiding citizens harassed by your unlawful and unjust policy.
I hope that wasn't the final draft.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote
I hope that wasn't the final draft.
Nope, I never sent it. But it was mostly coherant right? :lol:

Don't know what came over me to write it that bad...

OTOH, I still screwed up the final draft a bit. I'll bet she doesn't read it anyway. Friggin' tired tonite, bad week on sales, love letter from the marina over late payments, and a couple of beers. Oh well. Sorry for the gaff here...

Steve

j2l3

imported post

The Seattle Public Library has a Security Manager who is tasked with enforcement of all Library policies.

According to their website this is his contact information:

Security and Safety Manager: Brandon Knutson, 206-386-4128, brandon.knutson@spl.org

Might not hurt to contact him as well.