• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in bar

WV XD Guy

imported post

I don't go to bars, but have open carried in a restaraunt and had a few beers before. I see nothing wrong with having a few drinks while OCing ( if legal in your area) as long as you are not planning on becoming intoxicated or drastically impaired.

Unoid

imported post

Personally I would only carry if I know I won't get tipsy (over 4 drink over a few hours)
If I'm gonna get drunk or a good buzz I'll make sure i'm with friends (to drive me home of course) and I don't worry about needing a firearm.

I havne't been sure about our laws in IN about carrying OC or CC in alcohol establishments but with this thread I do :)

I know the club Hooligans always pats people down, they wouldn't let me bring in my ASP extendable baton (my main weapon of choice for protection) So I doubt they'd allow firearms, FYI.

Bars in hammond I've frequented (kenwood tap, and flatrock) I'd CC for sure, but not OC. I wouldn't want to entice drunk people.

protect our rights

HMDGLOCK wrote:

Well, let's put it this way: a man who carries a loaded firearm has the power of life or death over others in his space.

This is similar to a surgeon or other health care professional who at times has life or death power over others at particular times.

I think it makes about as much sense for a guy with a loaded gun to be drinking in public as it does for a surgeon or other care-giver to be drinking while they are on the job.

There are about 850,000 sworn law enforcement officers who carry a gun. They have life and death power over others in their space. All of these LEOs are prohibited from drinking on the job.

:idea:There must be a reason for that....

Well seeings how there are no documented cases of law abiding gun owners carrying into bars drinking and going nuts, I think it is a null point. Until this becomes evident that alcohol suddenly turns a law abiding citizen into a psychopathic lunatic (remember we are talking 1 or 2 drinks, do YOU feel the need to kill after a couple drinks) then I would say continue to do what you all personally choose to do.

HankT wrote: Surgeons and Police are GAURANTEED to be operating/get into a confrontation.

You could of course retreat, or use your best judgement, I think it comes down to a person placing a limit on their alcohol.

A car can kill someone just as easily, why is there not a zero tolerance policy on that?

+1
HankT wrote: +1

I don't care who you are or how well you can "Hold you liquor" if you're carrying you have no business drinking. Period. End of story!

Men that I know well, have worked closely with for years........I can tell a difference in their actions & attitudes after only ONE beer. But try to convince a drinker of that :banghead:

Life is too fragile, yours and others. Handle carefully with Wisdom and Discernment

your right life is to fragile thats why if someone chooses to go to a bar and have small amounts of liquor, they should not lose their right to defend themselves. ( I DO NOT recommend drinking large amounts whilst carrying)

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Yes, but that doesn't mean that someone couldn't still read this and gain insight...

OK
thumb.gif
as long as you know :p

hogeaterf6

I drink and carry. Its in my boot. Unless I plan on getting sh!t faced then it stays in the truck. I carry at parties to no matter what. I been shot at before. I try and limit my parting to biker parties. Its safer there.

protias

Let's see, what is more dangerous, having a beer and then driving or having a beer while a firearm sits in a holster? Of course having a beer and then driving is far more dangerous because driving is far more dangerous than firearms. You are 37 times more likely to die in a car than by a firearm. And yet there are a lot of people who treat cars as if nothing else matters on the road where firearm owners treat their lives and firearms with respect.

templar223

The topic was OC in a bar.

Why? Why would you OC in a bar?

Yeah, you might be fine, but others may be intoxicated and decide to try something cute, like plucking your piece out of your holster.

Put your shirt over your piece if you're gonna carry in a bar and I hope you have really good insurance if you do something with that gun if you're even close to intoxicated.

For God's sake, use some common sense. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that's the best thing to do.

John

protias

Yeah, you might be fine, but others may be intoxicated and decide to try something cute, like plucking your piece out of your holster.

Put your shirt over your piece if you're gonna carry in a bar and I hope you have really good insurance if you do something with that gun if you're even close to intoxicated.

For God's sake, use some common sense. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that's the best thing to do.

John

Have some sense please. Show me one instance this has happened.

hogeaterf6

I dont oc in bars but do at parties. Like I said I try and stick to biker parties and most have guns anyway. :D

protect our rights

John

Have some sense please. Show me one instance this has happened.

Like he said, show me some examples. I have carried into bars on multiple occasions. If you do pull your gun on someone when you were legally able to (someone was about to cause serious bodily harm to you or another.) It doesn't matter how intoxicated you are. (not saying it's a good idea) I tend to think like driving a car, when your carrying. Drink responsibly.

protias

Like he said, show me some examples. I have carried into bars on multiple occasions. If you do pull your gun on someone when you were legally able to (someone was about to cause serious bodily harm to you or another.) It doesn't matter how intoxicated you are. (not saying it's a good idea) I tend to think like driving a car, when your carrying. Drink responsibly.
What I don't get is, so many people get up in arms (no pun intended) about carrying and drinking, but yet, if you drink and are under .08 and drive, you are fine. I have been very vocal about this issue. If you have a problem with a holstered firearm that isn't even being touched, but driving a 2 ton vehicle over 60mph (or even over 10mph) is safe, then you really need to examine your beliefs and start looking at the facts.

cce1302

John

How can you be a member of OCDO for 3 years, and not realize that people OC everywhere?

We're all big boys here, we don't need your hand-wringing. BTW, don't you live in IL? you can't even carry in Indiana.

templar223

How can you be a member of OCDO for 3 years, and not realize that people OC everywhere?

We're all big boys here, we don't need your hand-wringing. BTW, don't you live in IL? you can't even carry in Indiana.

Hand wringing? C'mon. Common sense seems to be an uncommon virtue among some OCers. Of course, common sense has been prostituted by the Bradys, but good sense says you don't provide an opportunity for someone to act stupid... especially when it's obviated as easily as dropping your shirt over your piece.

I OC and CC in IN with regularity, thanks to the non-res permits I carry. But thanks for the ASSumption that as an IL resident, I'm completely disarmed 24/7.

John

cce1302

Hand wringing? C'mon. Common sense seems to be an uncommon virtue among some OCers. Of course, common sense has been prostituted by the Bradys, but good sense says you don't provide an opportunity for someone to act stupid... especially when it's obviated as easily as dropping your shirt over your piece.

I OC and CC in IN with regularity, thanks to the non-res permits I carry. But thanks for the ASSumption that as an IL resident, I'm completely disarmed 24/7.

John
Yeah I won't give anybody that opportunity again. At least not in this thread.

protias

John

So people who choose to carry openly somehow have less common sense than those who choose to conceal carry?

Palantas

I don't open carry in bars. I don't want to attract that sort of attention. I'm not concerned with instigating trouble--I usually go to nicer places--but I don't want to explain to drunk people why I have a gun, what kind of gun it is, what I do for a living, have I ever shot anybody, et cetera. I don't indict anybody who does want to open carry in a bar. That's a risk assessment the individual in the bar is best equipped to make.

I've got a couple comments from other gun owners who were able to identify the tan leather protrusion coming from my right side of my shirt. I became friends with one of them, so that's cool.