• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon Non-Resident CCW

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My daughter recently moved from the Tri-Cities area in Washington down to Umatilla. I realize I could open carry when visiting her, but I prefer to cover all bases and would like to cover myself with an Oregon Permit. (I of course already have a Washington permit).

I've checked out various counties and noticed that most won't even accept applications from Washington Residents or are VERY selective about who may apply:cuss:

Is there a best place to apply? Perhaps a county where the sheriff is gun friendly?

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

I'm sure this isn't helpful. But I live in Boise, Idaho... 40 miles from OR. I called the Malheur County (nearest OR, county) Sheriff and they said they wouldn't approve the permit cause I don't live in a county touching their county! (They law allows for all states that border OR to get OR non-res permits). Good luck.
http://oregonfirearms.org/faq/
This site is generally very helpful for OR firearms/ CWP stuff.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
My daughter recently moved from the Tri-Cities area in Washington down to Umatilla. I realize I could open carry when visiting her, but I prefer to cover all bases and would like to cover myself with an Oregon Permit. (I of course already have a Washington permit).

I've checked out various counties and noticed that most won't even accept applications from Washington Residents or are VERY selective about who may apply:cuss:

Is there a best place to apply? Perhaps a county where the sheriff is gun friendly?
Apply in Umatilla County in Pendleton. They accept self defense as a good enough reason, and throw in the fact that your daughter lives there, it's a shoe in.

Bodhi

imported post

To Right Wing Wacko: Were you able to get a CCW in Umatilla???

I heard that no one can get a permit if not a resident. But, I also heard they make exceptions...

Hope you had good luck, let us know the outcome...

Bodhi

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not yet.

Two things stopping me.

1. A class that would meet the requirements of oregon law.

2. My daughter actually becoming an OR resident. At this point she's back and forth between Umatilla and Kennewick. The Oregon income tax is convincing her to maintain Washington residence.

Bodhi

imported post

I understand your daughters dilemma. I used to live in WA State, Battle Ground. I worked on Swan Island, OR. The commute killed me but it was well worth it at the time. I now have a WA concealed carry and when I moved to OR I obtained a OR concealed carry. Very worth the move to have the license, I spent too much time in OR to not have one.

Like I mentioned before, they make it VERY hard to get a license in OR if you dont live here, but its worth a try.

Good luck again!!!

Bodhi.

Bodhi

imported post

I just read that OR will issue CCW to people who reside in the states that border it.

Have you heard this before anyone??

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Bodhi wrote:
I just read that OR will issue CCW to people who reside in the states that border it.

Have you heard this before anyone??
Right, and somebody needs to purposesly apply in a County which says it won;t issue just to appeal the denial. Also, somebody from a non-continguous state ought to apply to litigate the denial of the privlielge to carry concealed bases soley on state of residency under the federal Constitution's privilege and immunity clause.

coyote 30

imported post

I used to live in the Battle Ground area of SW washington and I applied to get an Oregon CWP in Multnomah county, which is Portland,and had no problems at all. I even renewed it after it expired. It expires now in 2008. I now live in Snohomish, WA and when I movedI sent in my address change and they sent me a new permit with the updated address.

It has been real easy to get the Oregon permit if you just jump through all the hoops and pay the money. I took a CC class in Oregon to satisfy the class requirement which also satisfied the Florida non resident requirement for a conceal carry license.

I don't think you will have a problem getting a Oregon non resident license, at least I had no problems and have had one for about 7 years now.

If I can get one in liberalMultnomah countyyou can get one in Umatilla county.

gregma

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Does OR have an exemption for the training class for military?
I believe just about every county is different, but when I contacted "Washington County" and inquired about this, they would accept a military document in lieu of the class, *however* it must specifically state "Handgun" on the document. "Small arms" is not sufficient. Mine said "Small Arms" (38 and M16 I guess.) thus would not qualify.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Second that small arms vs handgun issue. But it's not county by county, it's actually in the state's requirements.

The county doesn't get to set requirements, they can re-design the form but they can't set different req's. They do however get to say yes or no for whatever personal reason if you are non-resident.

gregma

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
Second that small arms vs handgun issue. But it's not county by county, it's actually in the state's requirements.
Ahhh, thanks for that clarification! I was lead to believe it was up to the individual counties. Good to know it's not, even though it would do me no good. The Air Force, at least when I was in during the 80's, didn't have anything called a handgun. A pistol was "small arms". Oh well.
I have an NRA safety class which qualifies in Oregon. Just haven't figured out a good letter to write as to the reason yet.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

On your DD214 it should list qualified weapons. If it lists the M9 you're good to go.

I was also instructed by the lady who takes the applications for Multnomah County that self defense is an adequate reason. I also listed that I worked shift hours and had to park in an unattended parking lot in an office complex at night that was largely deserted. Also as a border county resident who works in Oregon,I cross the river several times a day, and did not wish to inadvertently become illegal during one of those crossings.

No NAU

imported post

I've only seen the applications for a couple of counties, I live in Deschutes, but they both specified in bold print that the applicant must be a resident of the county applied in and this must be proved with two piece of ID, one showing residency/photo and the other photo. The state actually processes the app's sent in from the county sheriff's so I imagine it might be a state-wide, state-mandated requirement.

When I got my CHL I had to take the class my county offered and I found it very informative. The class was not so much about actually shooting other than good safety info but more about scenarios and legality of shooting, what is legal self-defence under Oregon state law etc. That part was very informative. A worthwhile class. Even if you have military exemption from the class it is still worthwhile as it covers civilian law etc.

I don't think a "friendly sheriff" would matter as it is a "Shall Issue" state. If you meet the requirements you get a CHL. Of course if one does something silly the sheriff can take it away.

Sometimes I'm glad I have my CHL and other times I get upset that the sheriff has to, "give me permission," to wear my jacket over my carry.

Your daughter can always open carry if she isn't in one of the banned cities :D

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

That only applies to state residents. Non-residents can apply in any county, and the sherrif can deny for any (or no) reason. At least I think it works that way...

Euromutt

imported post

I was just looking over possibilities last night vis-a-vis acquiring an Oregon CHL as a non-resident, so I'm glad to see this thread. My wife has family living in Greater Portland (both Portland proper and Tigard), so we do visit a couple of times a year, plus we travel through Oregon on the way to California, where most of my wife's family lives.

I'm glad to hear Multnomah Co. Sheriff's Office aren't difficult about non-resident applications. I saw on their information handout that they run weekly safety classes for $20, though I was surprised at the instruction to not bring your weapon to the class. Do they use red/blue guns or something? How do you teach gun safety without a gun-like object?

pdxwarrior

imported post

I Euromutt wrote:
I was just looking over possibilities last night vis-a-vis acquiring an Oregon CHL as a non-resident, so I'm glad to see this thread. My wife has family living in Greater Portland (both Portland proper and Tigard), so we do visit a couple of times a year, plus we travel through Oregon on the way to California, where most of my wife's family lives.

I'm glad to hear Multnomah Co. Sheriff's Office aren't difficult about non-resident applications. I saw on their information handout that they run weekly safety classes for $20, though I was surprised at the instruction to not bring your weapon to the class. Do they use red/blue guns or something? How do you teach gun safety without a gun-like object?
I took a class in Washington County (Oregon). You were not to bring handguns to this class either. The instructor brought roughly ten different handguns and taught the class "by example" so to speak.

Additionally, in Oregon there is no requirement to "qualify". You take the class, receive a certificate of completion and show this during your appointment.

Can qualify for a license without ever firing a shot. Granted I would never recommend to carry without being familiar with your means of protection.