Thread: Mt St Helens National Monument?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

So my question is, is this considered a national park? i.e. off limits to firearms? Trying to understand the classification as it pertains to national parks.

Thanks,

Ken

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

It would appear that the Monument area is administered by the Gifford Pinchot
    National Forest.
    One might assume that National Forest rules would be in effect.

(Never Assume)

National forests are part of the USDA.

National parks are part of the Dept of the Interior.

Post imported post

It's part of the National Forest: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/which includes it in 36 CFR 2.4 (b)as referenced also in this thread about driving along the highway.

Until the Department of the Interior changes that law, don't carry there.

I'm not a lawyer.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car,

I'm confused--if St Helens is part of a National Forest, then the section of the CFR you cite on National Parks simply doesn't apply.

(Mind you, you still can't carry (openly or concealed) inside any buildings in the National Forest.)

Post imported post

kparker wrote:
    just_a_car,

I'm confused--if St Helens is part of a National Forest, then the section of the CFR you cite on National Parks simply doesn't apply.

(Mind you, you still can't carry (openly or concealed) inside any buildings in the National Forest.)
    Please click the link and look at the title: "TITLE 36--PARKS, FORESTS, AND PUBLIC PROPERTY"

Edit: Also, this is a fs.fed.gov site talking about the national monument, which means it is under the National Forest Service... *looks at the document again* Hm, but at the same time, the chapter is on the National Parks Service. I'll do a little more research to see what I can drudge up.... I may be wrong here.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Okay, looks like I was wrong...

Chapter II is the one that regulates the Forest Service and I found that Part 261.10 Occupancy and Use only prohibits discharge of a firearm and in certain instances defined in (d) (1)-(3).

Looks like you're just fine to carry there, but I'd call 'em up and ask to speak to someone 'in-charge' that could affirm what I've referenced.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Look at the signs on the highway. The one that says "Entering XXXX National (park or forest)

If park, no guns.

If Forest you can carry if you can carry legally in the state surrounding the forest.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

I was down there 2 weeks ago scouting the area for Black Powder Elk season. In the building, I spoke with the ranger in charge, and was told we could not HUNT in the area designated as the monument, however, we could have the firearms were not prohibited..

Jim

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thanks everyone for their information. The 'monument' is the part that threw me off. I'm aware of the park vs forest, but not monument.

Regards,

Ken

Post imported post

Neither was the rest of the country till Clinton started Heap big "Monuments" consisting of thousands of acres.