• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mt St Helens National Monument?

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So my question is, is this considered a national park? i.e. off limits to firearms? Trying to understand the classification as it pertains to national parks.

Thanks,

Ken

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It would appear that the Monument area is administered by the Gifford Pinchot
National Forest.
One might assume that National Forest rules would be in effect.

(Never Assume)

National forests are part of the USDA.

National parks are part of the Dept of the Interior.

kparker

imported post

just_a_car,

I'm confused--if St Helens is part of a National Forest, then the section of the CFR you cite on National Parks simply doesn't apply.

(Mind you, you still can't carry (openly or concealed) inside any buildings in the National Forest.)

just_a_car

imported post

kparker wrote:
just_a_car,

I'm confused--if St Helens is part of a National Forest, then the section of the CFR you cite on National Parks simply doesn't apply.

(Mind you, you still can't carry (openly or concealed) inside any buildings in the National Forest.)

Please click the link and look at the title: "TITLE 36--PARKS, FORESTS, AND PUBLIC PROPERTY"

Edit: Also, this is a fs.fed.gov site talking about the national monument, which means it is under the National Forest Service... *looks at the document again* Hm, but at the same time, the chapter is on the National Parks Service. I'll do a little more research to see what I can drudge up.... I may be wrong here.

just_a_car

imported post

Okay, looks like I was wrong...

Chapter II is the one that regulates the Forest Service and I found that Part 261.10 Occupancy and Use only prohibits discharge of a firearm and in certain instances defined in (d) (1)-(3).

Looks like you're just fine to carry there, but I'd call 'em up and ask to speak to someone 'in-charge' that could affirm what I've referenced.

amlevin

imported post

Look at the signs on the highway. The one that says "Entering XXXX National (park or forest)

If park, no guns.

If Forest you can carry if you can carry legally in the state surrounding the forest.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I was down there 2 weeks ago scouting the area for Black Powder Elk season. In the building, I spoke with the ranger in charge, and was told we could not HUNT in the area designated as the monument, however, we could have the firearms were not prohibited..

Jim

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks everyone for their information. The 'monument' is the part that threw me off. I'm aware of the park vs forest, but not monument.

Regards,

Ken