• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BAN KNIVES!! Richmond Police fails to remove scumbags from society..

psmartin

imported post

Slaying suspect was off his meds
Court had ordered him to take anti-psychotics; he has a violent record

Monday, Oct 29, 2007 - 12:09 AMUpdated: 12:33 AM

#articleMediaPanelOuter {width: 310px; min-height: 390px;padding-right:5px;float:left;}
#articleMediaPanelNav {display: inline;height: 25px;}
#articleMediaPanelFrame {position:relative;border: 1px solid #666;background: white;height: 365px;margin-top: -2px;z-index: 10;}
.articleMediaPanelDisplay {position:relative;background: white;height: 268px;margin: 2px;z-index: 11;overflow: hidden;}
.articleMediaPanelampnItem {position:relative;display: inline;background: white url('http://media.mgnetwork.com/CQHorizonNavBar2/misc/shade.gif') repeat-x scroll;height: 25px;padding: 0 5px 0;margin: 0 2px 0 0;text-align: center;border: 1px solid #666;border-bottom-width: 0px;cursor: pointer;font-weight: bold;z-index: 5;}
.articleMediaPanelampnCur {z-index: 15;background:white;}
.articleMediaPanelTools {height: 90px;}
.articleMediaPanelInfoBox {padding-top:5px;}

/*** Photo ***/
.ArticleMediaPanelPhotoImage {text-align: center;padding-top:5px;}
.ArticleMediaPanelPhotoCaption {padding: 5px;font-size:10px;}
/*** Video ***/
.ArticleMediaPanelVideo {text-align:center;padding-top:5px;}
/*** Gallery ***/
.ArticleMediaPanelGalleryImage {text-align: center;padding-top: 5px;}
.ArticleMediaPanelGalleryCaption {font-size:10px;padding: 5px;}
.ArticleMediaPanelGalleryNavigation {font-size:10px;color: #333;font-weight: bold;text-align: center;}
.ArticleMediaPanelGalleryNavigation a { color: #333;}

0009.Image.NULL,NULL.300,198,2,NULL,NULL.MGSpooler.img

Susanne L. Thompson often walked her dog, Angie, along West Broad Street and nearby streets, residents of the area say. Photo By: FAMILY PHOTO

Article Tools

Email a Friend
RSS
digg it

Printer Friendly
Mobile Alerts
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2007-10-29-0171.html]
sphereicon.gif
Sphere IT
[/url]
Save This Page

document.getElementById('sphereIt').href="http://www.sphere.com/search?q=sphereit:"+"http://www.inrich.com"+location.pathname;
document.getElementById('MGDiggLink').href="http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url="+escape(location.href)+"&title="+escape("Slaying suspect was off his meds")+"&bodytext="+escape("Court had ordered him to take anti-psychotics; he has a violent record.")+"&topic=world_news";
document.getElementById('MGPrintLink').href = location.pathname.replace(".apx.",".PrintView.");
var emailUrl = location.pathname.substring(0,location.pathname.indexOf(".apx."))+".emailForm.html?handle="+escape('/content/articles/RTD/2007/10/29/0171')+"&link="+escape(location.pathname);
function newWindow(url,name,width,height) {
window.open(url, name, "toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,directories=no, status=no,menubar=no,resizable=no,width=" + width + ",height=" + height);
}

By JULIAN WALKER AND JIM NOLAN
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

The man police say stabbed a 70-year-old woman to death in Richmond on Saturday morning suffered from a schizophrenic condition and had not been taking his court-ordered medication, according to a law-enforcement source.

The source also said suspect Johnny F. Hughes, 52, was charged with attempted murder in the mid-1990s but was found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Court records indicate that Hughes was convicted in June of carrying a concealed weapon. He was sentenced to seven months in jail, with six months suspended.

The court ordered Hughes to take anti-psychotic medicine, the source said, and he was to be monitored by the Richmond Behavioral Health Authority. Attempts to reach the authority yesterday were unsuccessful.

Less than five months after his conviction, Hughes encountered Susanne L. Thompson on Saturday shortly before 9 a.m. as she walked her dog on West Broad Street near the Department of Motor Vehicles' main offices. Moments later, she was dead, stabbed multiple times with a large pocketknife.

Several people tried to help Thompson, but she died on the sidewalk. Other witnesses followed Hughes until police arrived.

"This guy just clearly, out of the blue, goes after this woman," said Richmond Police Chief Rodney Monroe. "He approached her, started to walk away and then comes back and attacks her."

[align=center]. . . [/align]
Among the first people on the scene after the stabbing were a group of runners training for a marathon.

Richmond resident Joy Moretti was in that group and rushed to Thompson's side moments after the woman was assaulted.

A man who happened to be a paramedic was attending to Thompson, so Moretti dialed 911; others, including at least one person from her running group, chased after Hughes.

"So many good people there were so ready to help this woman, but it was pretty obvious there wasn't going to be much we could do for her," Moretti said. "It's unfortunate there was one sick individual."

Hughes remains in police custody and faces a murder charge.

Investigators do not believe the motive for Saturday's attack was robbery and have no indication that Hughes attempted to panhandle money from Thompson.

"She was just mild-mannered and had just come out to walk her dog like she did every day," Monroe said, after department investigators took statements from witnesses and from Hughes.

"This guy sees her, and he thinks she represents something to him. She appears different to him, and that's threatening to him. Based on that, he decides he's going to hurt her."

For the past eight years, Thompson had resided at Heartfields Assisted Living at Richmond, 501 N. Allen Ave.

The sight of her walking her black mixed-breed dog, Angie, in the area near the assisted-living facility was a common one.

"She was a dear, friendly lady -- and I mean lady," said Bootsie Whitt, a South Richmond resident who owns several rental properties in the 1600 block of West Grace Street, where Thompson often walked Angie.

"She always had on shoes and a bracelet to match her dress," Whitt said. "And she loved walking her dog. She always stopped and talked to my tenants. She was a real plus to this neighborhood."

Charlie Moeser and his wife, Ruth Bolduan, also live on that block and would periodically make small talk with Thompson.

"We used to say hello to her," Moeser recalled. "She was always fussing with that little dog."

Moeser said the stabbing "gives us all pause because many of us have occasion to walk" in the area. He said a violent crime, however random, is "part of the somewhat problematic social fabric of Richmond."

Bolduan said the tragedy left her heartsick.

Heartfields officials said yesterday that Thompson's dog will stay temporarily at the facility. Thompson's family declined an interview request through Heartfields officials.

Hughes was known to police who worked in Richmond's East End, where he was said to have a home address in the 2700 block of Selden Street. He was viewed as a potential threat, Monroe said, but had not been observed doing anything officers could arrest him for.

"We're out there looking for bad guys and people who seek to prey on the public because of some kind of criminal intent," he said. "When some guy walks up for no reason, with no criminal intent, just to hurt somebody, things like that are hard to police and hard to stomach."

Let's examine a timeline:

1990's -- Perp gets off an "attempted murder" charge on an insanity plea
2007 -- Perp serves 30 days for carrying a gun illegally
2007 -- Perp commits murder with "large knife"

What is hell is wrong with the MMM'ers? Why are they not there to carry the torch for this woman and fight to ban "large knives" (after all, who needs anything more than a 2" blade... those demonic'assault knives')

We can at least be glad a group of marathon runners were nearby the crime scene & chased down the perp.. Otherwise we'd have a "who-dun-it' on our hands.

Everytime a murder occurs with a gun, a half-dozen fringe groups scream out to "stop the violence" and demand police and politicians "do something about these guns", but when an old lady is stabbed to death.. The same groups do nothing.

But when the same level of violence occurs with a knife, the fringe groups have nothing to say, nothing to do.. And the police offer the typical explanation: "You can't prevent these things"

I'm betting the perp gets out in 9 years.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

psmartin wrote:
Slaying suspect was off his meds
Court had ordered him to take anti-psychotics; he has a violent record

Let's examine a timeline:

1990's -- Perp gets off an "attempted murder" charge on an insanity plea
2007 -- Perp commits murder with "large knife"

What is hell is wrong with the MMM'ers? Why are they not there to carry the torch for this woman and fight to ban "large knives" (after all, who needs anything more than a 2" blade... those demonic'assault knives')

We can at least be glad a group of marathon runners were nearby the crime scene & chased down the perp.. Otherwise we'd have a "who-dun-it' on our hands.

Everytime a murder occurs with a gun, a half-dozen fringe groups scream out to "stop the violence" and demand police and politicians "do something about these guns", but when an old lady is stabbed to death.. The same groups do nothing.

But when the same level of violence occurs with a knife, the fringe groups have nothing to say, nothing to do.. And the police offer the typical explanation: "You can't prevent these things"

I'm betting the perp gets out in 9 years.

This case doesn't seem to have anything in it related to guns. Your points, except possibly for the marathon runners, arevery strained and very weak.

Your arguments won't be persuasive to any reasonable person.

Pick a better example, maybe?

Marco

imported post

It is Gun related:

Court records indicate that Hughes was convicted in June of carrying a concealed weapon. He was sentenced to seven months in jail, with six months suspended.

Too bad Susanne didn't have a gun with her.

AARP should start conducting free CCW/CHP classes for their memebers

imperialism2024

imported post

Eh, it's self-defense related... maybe a candidate for General Discussion?

So, now, if this gentleman was court-ordered to take anti-psychotic medications, why again was he out on the streets? Wouldn't it be easier to make sure that he took them and didn't, oh, go out and stab people to death if he was locked up in a mental health institution? Maybe they need to start running background checks on all knife purchases. Well, that is, after they ban all knives that serve no "sporting purpose". And then either limit citizens to one knife purchase per month, or have them fill out special paperwork if they purchase two or more knives within a 3-day period. And we can't forget a "cooling off" waiting period for knife purchasers, since it is proven that criminal intent lasts less than 5 days. Then again, it's not all that far-fetched as some of the silliness of gun laws has been applied to knives through anti-"switchblade" legislation... It's just a matter of time until some sh**ple-type group picks up the anti-knife cause.

Tomahawk

imported post

This story makes me sick. The description of this women could be any number of female relaives in my family, and to think of the terror she must have felt in her last, helpless moments is truly horrifying, if you put yourself in her shoes.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

"AARP should start conducting free CCW/CHP classes for their memebers"

Wishful thinking - AARP is notoriously liberal, anti-self defense!

Yata hey

kenny

imported post

This murder happened two blocks from my house. I saw this woman several times a week at the least. I've seen the bad guys numerous times. In the words of Barney Fife, "he's Nuts" plain and simple.

Several years ago I tried to arrange for firearm instruction from certified instructors. Everyone one wanted too much money to attract enough people for the class. I tried contacting the NRA and explained my thirty plus years of teaching various subjects in the community and offered to travel to where ever to take the classes necessary to become a handgun instructor. Well that never happened. I got lost in voice mail land, I guess.

The Richmond Police Department did their job. They locked the guy up every time they had cause. It was the system, courts and mental health that failed. Ever since Reagannomics mental health care reimbursement has been on a downward spiral. The city of Richmond alone has lost over 100 mental health hospital beds.

The problem is all over Virginia, in your town and mine and until our politicians restore funding these Cho type people will continue to be a threat. These people come from our families and all walks of life. In a small way it was Richmond's VT.

imperialism2024

imported post

kenny wrote:
The problem is all over Virginia, in your town and mine and until our politicians restore funding these Cho type people will continue to be a threat.
No, no, the problem isn't the amount of funding, but the allocation of funding. The government wants you to sleep safely knowing that someone with terminal cancer can't grow an herb in their backyard... even if that means letting crazy people run around.

sccrref

imported post

Since we are a site dedicated to open carry, freedom, liberty, firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate in some way to one of these topics.

I would say she lost her freedom and her liberty. She is dead.

At some point he was openly carrying the knife.

She had a right to carry a gun to defend herself.

How does this post not meet most of the requirements of this board?

imperialism2024

imported post

sccrref wrote:
Since we are a site dedicated to open carry, freedom, liberty, firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate in some way to one of these topics.

Que?:?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
sccrref wrote:

Que?:?
I believe sccrref post is directed to HankT
HankT wrote:
This case doesn't seem to have anything in it related to guns.

That doesn't make sense. I did not bring up the question of whether the story met "the requirements of this board."

I think perhaps sccrref may be taking inscrutability pills or something...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
:idea:check your first post.
these are your words
This case doesn't seem to have anything in it related to guns.
then what is this about:question:

Where in that statement is there a mention of theissue/question "of the requirements of this board?."

I'm not following you.