• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton VA Closes Gun Show "Loophole?"

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I really don't see how Hampton has closed the "loophole." Maybe I'm missing it...

Ideduce that a private seller cannot get a table at the Hampton shows...butis there anything that prevents aprivate seller from selling to a private buyer at the Hampton shows?

Also, I wonder if anyone will start accusing Southeastern Guns and Knives of selling out 2A rights advocates by voluntarily agreeing with City of Hampton restrictions...

Gun show sense
Other cities should close the loophole, as Hampton has
October 29, 2007

Gun control will be an issue in the General Assembly in January, as usual, but this time the always-hot subject will be further fueled by the Virginia Tech massacre. Fortunately, common sense can sometimes break free of the entrenched political positions. When it comes to gun shows, for instance, Hampton has shown the way.

Consider the scene last weekend in Richmond, as gun-control advocates and gun-rights advocates faced off in a protest outside a big gun show. On the gun-control side, 32 people lay on the ground, representing the 32 victims of Seung-Hui Cho at Virginia Tech. On the gun-rights side, supporters maneuvered into view of TV cameras with signs like the one that said, "This is what happens when people are denied effective means of self-defense."

Now, with the Tech murders in mind, it's true that the question of whether colleges should be able to impose gun restrictions on students and employees is going to come up at the next Assembly session. And that "arm everybody" argument is sure to be heard.

But the issue in this case was the gun show, not the campus.

Virginia law requires licensed gun dealers to screen potential buyers through a state database as well as a federal database. But, like many other states, it exempts person-to-person, private-owner gun sales from that requirement.

Background checks are designed to ensure that guns aren't sold to people the community agrees should not have them. That is, people who have lost that right because they are felons, they are subject to a court's restraining order for threatening someone, or they have been judged mentally unfit.

It's a good process that gun-rights advocates resisted years ago, then wisely took charge of, in cooperation with police, to make it streamlined and efficient. Licensed dealers – that means businesses that sell guns, largely – process such checks routinely every day.

The rationale for the exemption for private sales stands up when it's applied to keep from complicating the lives and choices of individual gun owners. Why should Uncle Al have to worry about getting a background check on his next-door neighbor, a fellow gun collector, in order to sell him that extra handgun?

But the exemption has earned its nickname – the Gun Show Loophole – when that one-on-one transaction leaves the neighborhood and takes up a sales booth in a big arena. Now it's more like a commercial transaction – but with no questions asked.

In fact, even with the changes made since the Tech murders to keep deranged people like Cho from buying guns from licensed businesses, nothing in the system today would stop another Cho from buying from a private owner at a gun show.

But not in Hampton.

Hampton requires promoters who want to sponsor gun shows at its facilities to bring in only licensed dealers. And to make things simple, the State Police are on hand to do instant background checks.

The beauty of the city's approach is that it addressed the loophole without needing the permission of the General Assembly. The legislature has rejected bills to close the loophole, and will probably do it again. So Hampton used its leverage as the owner of the exhibition space to make rules for the companies that would use it.

Southeastern Guns and Knives, a Portsmouth-based company that sponsors gun shows across the state, is a regular promoter at the Hampton Roads Convention Center, as it had been at the Hampton Coliseum. It abides by the Hampton rules, and keeps coming back – the next show is next month -- so it must make business sense, too.

When the gun-show issue first arose in Hampton, some gun-control voices wanted the city to ban gun shows from its arenas altogether. But that would have gone too far. There's plenty of competition for show space, and only so many boat shows, hobbyist conventions and home expos to go around. Besides, some people obviously enjoy gun shows, and most of what goes on there is as legal as what happens at a quilters' conven- tion.

But with such a simple approach as Hampton's readily available, other cities should also stop enabling unregulated gun show sales. Why wait for the General Assembly to say no again?

Practical action beats a protest, on either side.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/opinion/dp-ed_gunshow_edit_1029oct29,0,4625776.story

-C4-

imported post

It would seem they made some sort of "ordinance" or something requiring all booths at the gun show to be for licensed dealers only. I'm not actually certain they could enforce this though.... anyone else? I'm curious, because this seems like yet another attempt to break the no-preemption, etc.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

-C4- wrote:
It would seem they made some sort of "ordinance" or something requiring all booths at the gun show to be for licensed dealers only. I'm not actually certain they could enforce this though.... anyone else? I'm curious, because this seems like yet another attempt to break the no-preemption, etc.

The implication (the author is curiously vague on this point) is that the restriction is simply a negotiated one by the City of Hampton. The promoter is free to negotiate the restriction in or out.

Done right, this is a shrewd move by Hampton. Just a commercial transaction component. I'd guess that it has a good chance of being legal.

Still, what about the FTF sales between private individuals who do not have a table? Do those sales still occur?

LEO 229

imported post

I remember when I was in NC you had to go get a certificate from the police department saying you were able to purchase a gun. It was good for one year and was basically a background check. This was required by all dealers in the area I lived. No idea if it was state wide.

I am not for more "gun control" nor do I wantthe ATF to know about all the guns you or Iown.I am all for purchase validation in private sales.

Currently you can buy a gun from ANYONE who is not a dealer with NO CHECKS. We have a system in place to prevent felons, persons with restraining orders, and those who are mentally deficientfrom going out anbuying a gun froma dealer.Private sales circumvent these protective measures rendering them worthless.

When a gun purchased from a citizen is used in a murder... the ATF trail can end there at that sale or the last registered owner. The last known owner may not even know or remember who they sold the gun to.

Now I am, of course, thinking aboutcatching bad guys and keeping guns away fromthosewho are already subject togun control laws in place.

I would not mind seeing a national requirement for private sales to require a purchase permit proving they are eligible to purchase.It would expire after a certain period of time.

The permitcould contain the name of the person along with a control number that would identify him if needed by law enforcement. Then the person who sold the gun would be able to prove they no longer owned the gun used in a crime.

Keeping in mind... this is far less intrusive as thefew states that actually require you to REGISTER ALL YOUR GUNS with them. You control the documentthat proves YOU sold the gun.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I am all for purchase validation in private sales.

Currently you can buy a gun from ANYONE who is not a dealer with NO CHECKS. We have a system in place to prevent felons, persons with restraining orders, and those who are mentally deficientfrom going out anbuying a gun froma dealer.Private sales circumvent these protective measures rendering them worthless.

When a gun purchased from a citizen is used in a murder... the ATF trail can end there at that sale or the last registered owner. The last known owner may not even know or remember who they sold the gun to.

Now I am, of course, thinking aboutcatching bad guys and keeping guns away fromthosewho are already subject togun control laws in place.

I would not mind seeing a national requirement for private sales to require a purchase permit proving they are eligible to purchase.It would expire after a certain period of time.

The permitcould contain the name of the person along with a control number that would identify him if needed by law enforcement. Then the person who sold the gun would be able to prove they no longer owned the gun used in a crime.

Keeping in mind... this is far less intrusive as thefew states that actually require you to REGISTER ALL YOUR GUNS with them. You control the documentthat proves YOU sold the gun.
popcorn1.gif

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

HankT wrote:
I really don't see how Hampton has closed the "loophole." Maybe I'm missing it...

Ideduce that a private seller cannot get a table at the Hampton shows...butis there anything that prevents aprivate seller from selling to a private buyer at the Hampton shows?

Also, I wonder if anyone will start accusing Southeastern Guns and Knives of selling out 2A rights advocates by voluntarily agreeing with City of Hampton restrictions...
if we can find a smoking gun document setting fort a rule by the city that th show must do this, then that is a preemption violation.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Now I am, of course, thinking about catching bad guys and keeping guns away from those who are already subject to gun control laws in place.

Oh my......
Leo229, I have always been impressed with your open mindness and tolerance. I also think your probably a very effective cop........HOWEVER, every now and then:p

In a perfect world you may ahave a point. This isn't a perfect world though. You and I both know that even in cities that have unbelievable gun control, twenty minutes on the street will net you what your looking for.

This will only curb sales that would be legal in the first place. It would also kick the Black Market into BIG BUSINESS.

WHAT's that you say? The check will keep the black marketeers from getting them!
To quote Ms. Daisey again.....They're like children, they take things!:banghead:

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Now I am, of course, thinking about catching bad guys and keeping guns away from those who are already subject to gun control laws in place.

Oh my......
Leo229, I have always been impressed with your open mindness and tolerance. I also think your probably a very effective cop........HOWEVER, every now and then:p

In a perfect world you may ahave a point. This isn't a perfect world though. You and I both know that even in cities that have unbelievable gun control, twenty minutes on the street will net you what your looking for.

This will only curb sales that would be legal in the first place. It would also kick the Black Market into BIG BUSINESS.

WHAT's that you say? The check will keep the black marketeers from getting them!
To quote Ms. Daisey again.....They're like children, they take things!:banghead:
To me.. this is the only step that is missing to be sure that only thegood citizens that are allowed to buy can do so.

On the black market... you have many stolen guns or guns traded for drugs from the owners.

The stolen guns are already in the system as stolen. But unless you catch a bad guy with one... Theperson in possession can carry a stolen handgun and nobody would ever know.

Requiring ALL private guns sales to require a "clearance check" would allow black market operations to be stopped. They would not be able to trade them for drugs either without providing a clearance check to the drug user. :lol:

Just my opinion.... I am not legislating for a new law... no flaming required.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hmmmm. You must have a better quality of drug dealers than we do. Here they don't much care where it came from.:D

no flaming required.
Not from me anyway!:D

The stolen guns are already in the system as stolen.
I would be suprised if even 10% are in the system.

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Hmmmm. You must have a better quality of drug dealers than we do. Here they don't much care where it came from.:D

no flaming required.
Not from me anyway!:D

The stolen guns are already in the system as stolen.
I would be suprised if even 10% are in the system.
Oh.. I can see the logs getting tossed on the fire... I expect some flames soon. But not from you or the otheropen minded people. ;)

Ya... many people do not have all their SN wrote down. I have gone to calls where people did not know when reporting it as stolen.

So the bad guy has a clean gun and may not even know it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP To me.. this is the only step that is missing to be sure that only thegood citizens that are allowed to buy can do so.
Sorta like CHP backround checkswill ensure that only good citizens carry handguns concealed?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
... I expect some flames soon.

Hold it.

Quiet...let me hear....

In the distance...I hear....shouting....angry...words....can't quite make out what they're saying.....

Getting closer....I wonder what it is....

[align=left]
mob1.bmp.jpg
[/align]

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP To me.. this is the only step that is missing to be sure that only thegood citizens that are allowed to buy can do so.
Sorta like CHP backround checkswill ensure that only good citizens carry handguns concealed?
Sure... If your caughtCCing with no permit... you get in a little bit of trouble. If your selling a gun and you do not obtain theirpermit to purchase... you get in a little bit of trouble. ;)

It is not the fool proof way.. Friends who sell to known good friends would never be caught. But when strangers could be undercover government agents.....and attempt to buy your gun from you and you never ask for their permit... :shock:

psmartin

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Oh my......

To me.. this is the only step that is missing to be sure that only thegood citizens that are allowed to buy can do so.

On the black market... you have many stolen guns or guns traded for drugs from the owners.

The stolen guns are already in the system as stolen. But unless you catch a bad guy with one... Theperson in possession can carry a stolen handgun and nobody would ever know.

Requiring ALL private guns sales to require a "clearance check" would allow black market operations to be stopped. They would not be able to trade them for drugs either without providing a clearance check to the drug user. :lol:

Just my opinion.... I am not legislating for a new law... no flaming required.

The UK allows ZERO(nadda, zip, zilch) handgun ownership and there is a black market.

A guy with a stolen handgun isn't going to open-carry, and if he does carry it's going to be concealed(and.. how many CHP holders steal their handguns?)

So.. If the government had figured out this "black market" thing, then the Nixon administration would have solved the problem long before "BUSH 2.0" came to power

LEO 229

imported post

psmartin wrote:
The UK allows ZERO(nadda, zip, zilch) handgun ownership and there is a black market.

A guy with a stolen handgun isn't going to open-carry, and if he does carry it's going to be concealed(and.. how many CHP holders steal their handguns?)

So.. If the government had figured out this "black market" thing, then the Nixon administration would have solved the problem long before "BUSH 2.0" came to power

Not living in nor working for the UK.... I have no idea if they have any initiative to search out and arrest those that sell guns on the black market.

Just like catching drug dealers here... we have the end user that provides information on the seller that leads to to the top dealer.

I suspect thatthis process could work in the UK if they wanted to catch them if they are not doing it already.

So what is the punishment for getting caught with a gun in the UK?

Marco

imported post

I copy or record the DL #, name and DOB along with any other info I may obtain and store that along with the guns ser.# and description.
Whether I'm the buyer or seller.

my personal guns all have two pics one stored with the gun and the other in a secure location along with receipts /names of who purchased from

Edit:
if they object no sale.

LEO 229

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I copy or record the DL #, name and DOB along with any other info I may obtain and store that along with the guns ser.# and description.
Whether I'm the buyer or seller.

my personal guns all have two pics one stored with the gun and the other in a secure location along with receipts /names of who purchased from

Edit:
if they object no sale.
Obviously.. I am with you.... It just makes good sense.

I would want to know who bought my gun. Anyone wanting to remain anonymous seems a little odd to me. If you want something bad enough in life.. you will submit to the demands that are placed to get it.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The only way I could not totally oppose a system like the one LEO is suggesting is if there were a provision in the law that guranteed that the authorization would be given in a set period of time, or else the request becomes a de facto authorization.

Otherwise it would be too easy to just de-fund the office that sends out the permit and end our ability to buy/sell from private individuals altogether.

But, personally I don't like the idea of having to get a permission slip from the government. For one thing, I think it would tend lower the price I could sell my guns.

Now, if there were a system I could check someone out myself if they agreed, I might avail myself of that, because I don't want to sell a gun to a bad guy.

The idea of BATF or similar agency coming to audit my records of all private gun sales for the past 15 years is a pretty scary thought, especially if I could go to prison based on a fake address someone used on a .22 7 years ago..

LEO 229

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
The only way I could not totally oppose a system like the one LEO is suggesting is if there were a provision in the law that guranteed that the authorization would be given in a set period of time, or else the request becomes a de facto authorization.

Otherwise it would be too easy to just de-fund the office that sends out the permit and end our ability to buy/sell from private individuals altogether.

But, personally I don't like the idea of having to get a permission slip from the government. For one thing, I think it would tend lower the price I could sell my guns.

Now, if there were a system I could check someone out myself if they agreed, I might avail myself of that, because I don't want to sell a gun to a bad guy.

The idea of BATF or similar agency coming to audit my records of all private gun sales for the past 15 years is a pretty scary thought, especially if I could go to prison based on a fake address someone used on a .22 7 years ago..
In NC... I got my permits in a few minutes. Being able to do a check yourself is a little hard because it will take a human to review all the records and determine if there are any disqualifications present. You would not be able to view the data and I know I would not want a computer to decide on complicated and confusing data. ;)

I would see no requirement to maintain the document after sale unless you want to protect your own interest. The document would have been validated by the police so a fake address would be hard to do.

The purpose would be only to know that the person can posses a gun. The trail of the sale is just a bonus.

thnycav

imported post

It would be nice if they could setup an instant check at the show. Have the local Police setup a connection to NCIC and they would be able to give the person a certificate to clear them to buy a weapon at the show. Yes it is not perfect but it will help keep the ones who should not buy from getting a weapon. This would also help the ones that can buy one from needing to plan far in advance if they are going to buy a weapon at the show. You know when you go there and see a good deal on a gun you want.