Thread: Carry "mode"

Post imported post

It's getting close to my 21rst birthday, and as I consider which handgun will be my first and whether or not I will be OCing I have been thinking about the different "modes" of carry that are possible in CA.

Obviously, in incorporated territory (unless you have an OC permit) your gun must be unloaded. There are, however, a few different modes of unloaded carry.
    1. Unloaded with no magazine and slide forward
    2. Unloaded with empty magazine and slide forward
    3. Unloaded with no magazine and slide locked back
    4. Unloaded with empty magazine and slide locked back
    Obviously, all of these apply to autos. There seem to be pros and cons for each choice.

Having an empty magazine in the gun would probably help keep the gun clean, but adds a step to the loading process should you need your gun in a hurry. Not having a magazine in the firearm might make encounters with LEOs a little easier, but at the same time lets everyone in the world know that your gun isn't loaded and might let dust and rain in.

But what I'd primarily like to discuss is the option of keeping the slide locked back. It would seem that option number 3 in the list above would allow one to load the firearm faster than the other options. It also has the "benefit" of letting LEOs know with even more certainty that your firearm is unloaded before they inspect it (whether this is really a benefit or not depends upon whether you are more worried about bad guys or interation with LEOs).

I'd like to know which of the above modes you (especially "the three") have considered, and get some opinions on option number 3.

Post imported post

I think the easiest solution is to move to a less communistic state... But easier said than done, right?

Post imported post

Yes. And at some point in the near future (probably within the next two years, and after I finish my degree) my wife and I are planning on bailing on CA and moving to NH. But for now we're stuck here, and I'm resolved to do what I reasonably can to help further the 2nd Ammendment cause here in CA.

Post imported post

I would think that option 3 & 4 would allow a greater chance of dirt and debris getting into your gun. Also, depending on the holster the slide back options might not be viable. I am glad that I am not forced to make the choice you have before you. If I had to choose, it would be no mag in and slide forward with loaded mag in and loaded mag in mag holder on my belt. Then it is draw gun, draw and insert clip, rack the slide, aim and shoot.

Post imported post

sccrref wrote:
    I would think that option 3 & 4 would allow a greater chance of dirt and debris getting into your gun. Also, depending on the holster the slide back options might not be viable. I am glad that I am not forced to make the choice you have before you. If I had to choose, it would be no mag in and slide forward with loaded mag in and loaded mag in mag holder on my belt. Then it is draw gun, draw and insert clip, rack the slide, aim and shoot.
    You stole my thunder! I second everything sccrref just said. (typed )

Post imported post

I'llditto the other two above, but your number 3 allows LEO to do a 12031 loaded check without handling the firearm. It is obvious that no magwith theslide locked back, while in a holster that doesn't obscure the view, equalsan unloaded firearm. If a leo then demanded, without lawful cause, to inspect your side arm (and run the serial number) it would be a violation of the 4th Amendment (search and seizure).

If you do carry a recorder, if and when you OC, and are stoppedtry to get in a question (for the tape) like, "officer, do you see that it is unloaded with no magazine?". If the response is "yes" (on tape) he has then just removed his lawful reason for further inspection and detention (per 12031)if absent a call reporting some suspected crime.

And not that anyone wants to be involved in a lawsuit, but when asked to inspect your sidearm say, "I am not refusing and I will comply with your order per state law (12031 loaded check) but I do not consent tothis search. That way you retain your legal standing regarding a 4th Amendment challenge to the lawfulness of a 12031 loaded check. It may also help if later charged with some crime (rightfully or wrongfully).

If you value your freedom and hard earned cash carry a recorder. It could even come in handy with just fighting a traffic citation (most tickets these days are $150 - $350 +! and time off from work).
    Attached Images Attached Images

State Researcher

Post imported post

dngreer wrote:
    I think the easiest solution is to move to a less communistic state... But easier said than done, right?
    Here here!

Update: I'm in talks with a national retailer to negotiate my exile to NH. They put an offer on the table for work in CA, but I told them I wasn't interested unless they could give me work in NH within 1 year. They said they'll have to check with the people in charge of that region; they may want me to just go through the training school there. So, I may be moving as early as January 2008.

Back on topic: I like to keep my firearm clean, so I keep the slide forward and empty mag insterted.

With practice, you'll find that having an empty mag inserted does nothing to your draw&load time. I can easily drop the mag faster than I can draw a loaded mag. The real slow down for me is making sure the mag locks in place. I don't know if all Glocks have this issue, but I gotta really ram it in there to make sure it is fully seated.

This is another issue I'll solve when I get out of CA; gonna get a decent gun (probably one not on the CA 'safe' list).
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

Move? To a less communistic State? Forsake my home to pursue liberty for which I am entitled no matter where I live in the United States? Don't get me started.

As for the unloaded conditions above;

1 and 2 make most practical sense. Ive been practicing 1, but am thinking 2 would be good for a couple of reasons. Keeping things clean and creating an illusion for would be criminals that the weapon is loaded and a round is charged with their name on it.

Id really prefer to have 12031 repealed on Constitutional grounds though. Unfortunately, I think the secession of Superior California and the creation of the Soveriegn State of Jefferson is more likely.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com