• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carried for the first time

Vermont0311

imported post

Finally picked up a Serpa holster for my Glock 19 in Burlington last Saturday, OCed that night while picking up some costume items at the Rite Aid in Montpelier. I was pretty nervous, despite knowing that it was legal, I could see the lady at the counter staring at my Glock out of the corner of my eye. She struck up a conversation the second I walked up to the counter, asking if the stuff I was buying was for a party that night, who was I going as, etc. I hated myself, but I was so nervous I stuttered in my reply but she didn't say anything about the weapon on my hip. I imagine that first time will be the hardest and from what I've seen on here of other people's experiences it only gets easier.

PS- Love the Serpa: comfortable, has a death grip on my gun and my pants/belt, so fast to draw. When I showed it to my girlfriend she was actually impressed, said it was a great idea to have retention. Not as concealable as my Comptac CTAC but perfect for OC and good looking and professional.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Great report, congratulations on your first OC! You're right, it only gets easier. It takes a while to get comfortable, but once you are, people will be more at ease. If you act normal, not too many folks are going to freak out.

Vermont0311

imported post

That's what I was going for. If you dosomething and look like you know what you're doing and are supposed to be doing it then people will rarely question it. What I don't want is to give off a nervous vibe to people while I have a gun on my hip. I'm a Marine Reservist so I'm always clean cut and I'm going to strive to always dress well while carrying.

I'll keep you guys posted...

buketdude

imported post

Great to hear. I will be up in St Johnsbury and Burlington next month..so i will do some open-carrying....i feel nervous in CT doing it..but never in VT.....

vermonter

imported post

Montpelier won't be a problem as long as you don't wander into the many state owned buildings on State St. I spend a lot of time in Burlington and onlyCC there. I don't discuss the legalities of CC or OC with anyone in this area. There are a LOT of gangbanging hoodlums that have moved to Burlington of late to sell drugs. The lefties call it "diversity".I can see them finding out that OC is legal and ruining itfor everyone like the black panthers did for OC in urban CA. I can see the liberals running to the legislature at the first sight of urban hoodlum males standing on the street corners with hardware onand a "you can't do S@%T about it" attitude! I OC in ALL rural areas and towns,Montpelier Etc, but never in Burlington. Church Street Market is private property, as is the Burlington Mall and University Mall. OC will get you trespassed there. So I justConceal Carryin the land of Mr. Lefty Massholes and never have any worries. There is no one to "Educate"here about OC in suburban Chittenden County. The MAJORITY of the people in Burlingtonare vehemently anti-gun, and NOTHING will sway the sheeple here. Burlington is the most left city in the country except San Francisco. The people movingto Burlingtonfrom NYC Metro, the Peoples Republic of NJ and Massa2shits and bound and determined to turn the area into a suburban paradise for rich retired ultra left wing boomers. Every Subaruhas a Scudder Parker bumper sticker on it (what a joke). Thank goodness for Jim Douglas! Real Vermonters are Independant Libertarian types with who value their freedoms and support the Second Vermont Republic!

MechInfantry29

imported post

So I just open carried for the first time about two weeks ago. AWSOME!! I was a little nervous at first but after a while felt great and have been ocing when I get the opportunity ever since. I bought an unlce mikes holster for my S&W Sigma series 9mm, but have since purchased a SA-XD 45 which also fits (barely) in the holster.

I'm a veteran, but currently a junior at UVM. There is definatly a lefty sentiment in VT, Chittenden county especially, but I have as of yet to be confronted by anyone. Being 6'4 210 might have something to do with it, but knowing self-rightous liberals probably not. When I am questioned, I plan to educate and leave a good impression with the individual. Though I don't want to be on a "crusade" necessarily, I do think it's important to make a statement sometimes, especially when it comes to civil liberties. I really like the motto of this site, " A right unused is a right lost." That makes sense.

Thanks to my buddy, who oc's a Glock 19 and talked me into joining him. I still have trouble bringing myself to oc with him. It just seems like two people oc's exponentially multiplies the sketchiness to bystanders. Oh well maybe its something I need to get over.... I figure as long as I look clean cut and act normal i'll be fine.

Psyched to be part of the oc community, and a Vermonter!!

Vermont0311

imported post

Good for you, MechInfantry. I haven't been OCing much as it's difficult to do in the winter with all the layers I wear but props to you for doing in in Burlington. I'm also a vet, Marine Infantry, were you over there at all and if so, where? There are so few OIF vets here in Montpelier and not too many OCDOers in VT so it's nice to find another. Hope to hear from you.

glockrocker

imported post

Hello to everyone out there. I'm the friend that Mech Infantry mentioned in the post above. I may have inspired him to OC, but he inspired me to join OCDO, so I suppose we're positive influences on each other.
I'm a Sophomore at UVM, and I OC with a Glock 19 (not on campus, of course :cuss:) The first time I open carried was fairly uneventful, but something comical/sad did happen.
I went into a food store to pick up a few things, and I walked by a mother with her son who was 6 or 7. As I approached, I noticed he was staring at my hip. He got his mom's attention and said "cool!" I chuckled a little bit, and then his mom said "don't talk to him, he's crazy" and quickly walked away! Now that I look back on it it's pretty funny, but I was scared at the time that the police were going to show up.
All of the other times I've carried I've never had a problem, just the occaisional weird look. It's good to be here and even better to defend our freedoms. Have a good one everybody.

MechInfantry29

imported post

Semper Gumby,
Yeah I was in oif. 1/36th Inf Bat, 1st Armored Division out of Friedberg, Germany. Deployed to Baghdad may 11 2003-july 22 2004. Stayed mostly in Baghdad but went out to Najaf/Fallujhah for a week for each. Yeah I run into OIF vets every now and again on campus, the handfull that I have are going to school on the G.I. Bill too. Always good to meet up with a felllow vet! I can't wait to see someone else oc'ing in VT. I wonder how long it will take?

Vermont0311

imported post

I'm with 1/25, a Marine Reserve unit out of New England. We were in Fallujah in 2006 attached to the 5th Marine Regimental Combat Team the entire time.

I tend to OC more regularly down here in Montpelier around town, don't make it up to Burlington much, so I don't expect we'd cross paths. Keep up the good work and let me know if you and Glocker are ever down this way, I'll buy you a beer.