• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moscow

G27

imported post

Well just another weekend out here in the Palouse. Over the last few days I've been CC at the WSU game and around campus while visiting the girl. It still frustrates me to no end that I can carry cause I'm not a student here but if my GF was to, she would get expelled. Arg. But Idaho, oh gosh, nothing but praise again. I've been going over there the last few days OC'in my Sig 229. Today I went to Applebee's and there were no problems.A few second glances but that was all.

I went into Wal-Mart and that was a different story... Nothing bad happened, mind you. But I know I was being watched. As soon as I walked in the store the greeter's eyes got as big as saucers and a man began to shadow me. I almost asked him if I could help him but refrained from such as the girl was there and I didn't want to embarrass her. Shortly after that he disappeared and I heard a urget, "Can I get a manager to call me at extention721.." over the intercom system. I can only assume that was a callpertaining about me OC'in.

I've carried there many times and never had a problem.The place waspacked, a few people noticed. Nothing more than a fewglances and then moving on. I think the fact thatthe girl was holding my handmade them think I wasn't a threat.Wefinished shopping and left.

This is the first time that I ever felt like I wasactually going tobe confronted by someone, I was more thanready but surprised, especially in Idaho. Iguess I still can't blame them.A few years ago I am sure I would have been a tad uneasy if I saw a guy walking around with a gun.All in all another great Idaho experiance. Can't wait to see you guys again soon. Hopefully next time we can get a little get together going.

devldogs55

imported post

Glad you're still having good experiences here.. I love moscow, and have never had a problem OCing. I usually CC, but I open carry in shops all over downtown and have never had a problem.

G27

imported post

Definitely love Idaho. One of the best states in the Union. When I come back out there I would love to try and get together with some of you out there for an OC dinner or something. I know the Holidays are coming up but maybe sometime after Christmas? Anyway, if you're interested I'll post it sooner towards then.

devldogs55

imported post

Sure.. definitely would be interested!

Just to get your gears turning here.. I would double check WA state laws again. I am almost certain that it would be against the law to carry on WSU campus.. here's why.

I think state law does not prohibit it, but the state's firearms preemption law does not encompass municipalities from making a law restricting firearms on university campuses - among other places.

This WA state Attorney General's opinion was published about this very matter:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/opinion.aspx?section=topic&id=6586

I don't have time to search right now.. but I am almost sure that Whitman County has an ordinance prohibiting carry on any university campus.

Double check if you want. Talk to you soon!

G27

imported post

Good question you ask, and I will be more than happy to answer it.

Washington state is a fully preemptive state when it comes to firearms. Everything is made at the state level and no local jurisdiction can create laws that are stricter than the state laws, except for the discharge of firearms. Now people that are on campus are prohibited from carrying because they students and have to abide by administrative code. Now since I am not a student I can carry, but if I was ever found out I could be asked to leave and be issued a trespass notice. Now this also is a gray area that since this is a state school and it being state property it is not mentioned in RCW (Revised Code of Washington). All rules that are barring the carrying of firearms on campuses are located in the WAC (Washington Admin. Code). The later are rules which students have to abide by, not the general public.

devldogs55

imported post

I understand where you are coming from.. and I am fully aware of WA preemption laws... but read this part of the Attorney General's Opinion...

(3) A county, city or town police power ordinance prohibiting the possession of firearms, including handguns, on public or private school grounds or college campuses within its territorial jurisdiction would be valid because such an ordinance would not be in conflict with state law under the applicable, judicially enunciated, test.

Basically.. he's saying that a town can make an ordinance banning handguns on campus as long as the campus is within it's juristidction.

I don't agree with it and I don't see how it can be - with the preemption laws.. but it's something to think about.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

Devldogs55:

You are aware that you're quoting an opinion from 1982, right? And it's not really clear, even at that: a law prohibiting posession of a firearm that doesn't enact stricter, more stringent limits on firearms than state law wouold not be voided, but one that IS more restrictive would be in conflict with state law.

Some state laws have undoubtedly changed in 25 years. There have been other attorney generals, as well.

G27

imported post

Ah. I kinda forgot about this post. I did re-read this AG opinion and noticed it was written in 1982. RCW went through major changes since then, and this is the law. That AG's opinion was for the old law that didn't encompass RCW 9.41.290 as it does now. RCW 9.41.290 is the law. Any city or county laws are invalid and repealed.

RCW 9.41.290State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

Shy_Panda

imported post

I don't know if this is the right thread or not but I am trying to advise everyone in the Moscow/Pullman area not to patronize Tri-State due to the fact that their corporate policy forbids OC.

Today I did not havesuch a fun time over in Moscow, ID, I went over to pick up some 9mm ammo at Walmart only to realize that they upped their prices $4 in the last 2 weeks. Just to compare prices I ran over to Tri-State because they generally have a pretty good selection on ammo. As I walked up to the guy behind the counter in the firearm section of the store to ask about prices he couldn't even bother to look at my face while I was asking, he was fixated on the fact that I was OCing. After I decided that $13-14 for a box of 50 was not right for the wallet I walked over to my friend who was looking at .22LR ammo. I wasn't standing there for more than 10 seconds before the same guy came up to me and asked to have my firearm:what:, so he could hold it for me while I was looking. I asked why, surprised that anyone would think that I would be willing to hand over my sidearm. He said that I either needed to hand it over or cover it up with a jacket or leave. He mentioned that it was corporate policy (In Idaho no less). I mentioned that I was about to leave and then turned back and asked if he was aware that it was legal to OC in ID, which he was seeing as how he finished my sentence for me and proceeded to reiterate that it was corporate policy. I said alright and we left.

Shortly there after I realized that I should have asked what corporate policy would have been had I been an LEO. If only I was quicker on my feet:banghead:. Oh well, I'll get there soon enough at this rate.

Saint

imported post

Panda... you have now posted the same thing on at least 3 differant threads. Please refrain from doing so in the future. If you feel that a "do not patronize" list would be beneficial, then feel free to start a thread about such. But currently you are spamming and posting things that have no relevence to the thread's content.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
He said that I either needed to hand it over or cover it up with a jacket or leave. He mentioned that it was corporate policy (In Idaho no less).
As you no doubt know, there is no such corpp policy - contact the manager and ask them to produce the policy or stop harassing you,

Shy_Panda

imported post

Saint wrote:
Panda... you have now posted the same thing on at least 3 differant threads. Please refrain from doing so in the future. If you feel that a "do not patronize" list would be beneficial, then feel free to start a thread about such. But currently you are spamming and posting things that have no relevence to the thread's content.
Consider it stopped. I was unaware of the level of activity on the Idaho board and wanted to make sure that somebody noticed it, I appologize for wasting space. Hopefully an Idaho resident will create a thread for it, I feel that would be more appropriate, but if nobody does in about a week then I will go ahead and do so.

Shy_Panda

imported post

Mike wrote:
Shy_Panda wrote:
He said that I either needed to hand it over or cover it up with a jacket or leave. He mentioned that it was corporate policy (In Idaho no less).
As you no doubt know, there is no such corpp policy - contact the manager and ask them to produce the policy or stop harassing you,
I was unaware that there was no corp. policy relating to this, I was planning on heading back over and asking for a manager and to see the policy. If it is in fact the case I am going to push to have it essentially black listed by OCDO. We will just have to see how it goes.

Shy_Panda

imported post

Mike wrote:
Shy_Panda wrote:

Actually they do have that policy, I went into Tri-Statetoday with Dave the Welder and asked to see the manager. He was out to lunch at the time so we talked to an associate manager who didn't have any information and directed us to Thomas Ekhart? (I can't remember the last name) who was the shift manager outto lunch. She mentioned that he would be back around 1:00pm (in 40 min.). We thanked her and left to go kill some time at Sure Shot and stopped by the mall for a quick snack before heading back.

Upon arriving at Tri-Statewe again asked to see Thomas and he happened to just be walking up so we mentioned that someone at the store told us that it was against corporate policy to open carry which he confirmed. His demeanor was not rude, but certainly not polite seeing as how we were asking about their firearms policy. When we asked to see the written policy he walked us back to the gun department without saying a word and pointed to a small sign about 5X10 inches that laid out that firearms are not to be openly carried in the store and that the employees would be happy to hold our firearms while we shopped. We mentioned that we had never seen it and he brought up the fact that it was the same as every other disclaimer throughout the store about credit cards not being accepted and that 99/100 times people hand him a credit card.At this we decided to leave the store and just before walking out I asked if it applied to LEO which he responded that it didn't (because LE are obviously better trusted then the average law abiding citizen).

The plan is to write corporate and notify them that they are one of the only stores in Moscow that has a policy that is inconsistent with state law. Hopefully in the near future we will have a picture of the notice (which is not obviously visible, nor is it posted on the door at the entrance). Hopefully everybody can find different places to shop in the Moscow area seeing as how Tri-State does not support your civil rights, no extra money needs to be handed their way.