• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ten manliest firearms

expvideo

imported post

For those of us that are at work and might attract a little more attention that we might want if we're looking at big pictures of guns... Can someone write out the list?

Thanks in advance.

Particle

imported post

10. SMLE
9. Mosin-Nagant M44
8. GLOCK (All of them, apparently)
7. Swiss K31 Carbine
6. AK47
5. Smith & Wesson Model 29
4. AR15
3. Remington 870
2. Colt Model 1911A1 .45 ACP
1. Barrett M82 .50 caliber rifle

Good list. Not seeing any AR pistols on there. They're definately manly.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well I've owned or fired 8 out 10 on the list.

I think the M1/ M14 and FAL should be on that list. How can a gun known as the 'poodle shooter' be on the list and no Single Action Army? Maybe also the Thompson SMG but it looks like he's picking weapons most people can actually own.

IanB

imported post

The manliest firearm is whatever happens to be in my possesion at that very moment. One day it could be a Glock, next day it could be a Bushmaster. Carry and own what makes you happy, fits your body/hands, and doesn't break the bank; don't make purchases based upon what others may prescribe as being "right" for you. This reminds me of middle school when you weren't "cool" unless you had the Nike Air Jordan's with the clear soles. The really cool kids had both the black and white set, but they still couldn't dunk no matter how much the shoes cost.

expvideo

imported post

Particle wrote:
10. SMLE
9. Mosin-Nagant M44
7. Swiss K31 Carbine
6. AK47
4. AR15
3. Remington 870

I own #9 and #6 :D... nice.

If I were to make my own list, I think I'd keep #4 off of it.

Here's my opinion, in order of Manliness:

10. AK-47
9. Any Lever-action gun
8. Ruger Mark I
7. Remington 870
6. Colt Single Action Army 45LC
5. M44
4. "Tommy" gun
3. 1911
2. M1 Garand
1. FN FAL

the AK, because it's a real man's assault rifle. It's metal and wood, like a rifle should be, and it works every time. Similar to a 30-30 in performance.

the lever gun because... John Wayne.

The ruger's a .22, but I'm sure I'm not alone when I say "my father has one".

The 870 because it's a boom-stick

the SAA because it's the origional equalizer, and 45 long colt is the origional "manly" caliber.

the M44 because it has my favorite round, the 7.62x54r. It spits a 4 foot fireball when it fires. And it's a glorified spear that happens to fire bullets.

The thompson submachine gun because it reminds us of the heros of WWII and the fantasy world of Gangsters (fantasy for us young people). Besides, it fires 45ACP and uses a drum!

The 1911 is the manliest handgun ever produced. Period.

The M1 Garand should go without explaining.

The FN FAL is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, it's hugeand I never want one, but it sure is manly. Too much so for my taste, lol.

FogRider

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
The manliest firearm is whatever happens to be in my possesion at that very moment. One day it could be a Glock, next day it could be a Bushmaster. Carry and own what makes you happy, fits your body/hands, and doesn't break the bank; don't make purchases based upon what others may prescribe as being "right" for you. This reminds me of middle school when you weren't "cool" unless you had the Nike Air Jordan's with the clear soles. The really cool kids had both the black and white set, but they still couldn't dunk no matter how much the shoes cost.

Nah, it's just a humorous read. The phrase "9mm is just .45 set to stun, and real men don't believe in stun" just about made me make a scene in my office.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Eh. I don't get why so many people think glocks are the only good modern handguns. I think they're uncomfortable and ugly, personally...that, and I don't like the "glock action".

Anyway I like the story about Ronnie Barrett! :D

Legba

imported post

How about the Winchester 97 trench gun? Doing a trench raid with a short-barreled unchoked pump shotgun with a bayonet mounted is pretty damned manly - JMO.

-ljp

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Eh. I don't get why so many people think glocks are the only good modern handguns. I think they're uncomfortable and ugly, personally...that, and I don't like the "glock action".

Read this: http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

Pay special attention to the part where the author tried the same torture test on a HK USP .45 Compact.

From the article: "The GLOCK in question has not been cleaned in ten years, has been buried in dirt, saltwater, gravel, talc, dropped from a plane, dragged behind a car, tossed off a roof, driven over with a truck, and it still works."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Particle wrote:
10. SMLE
9. Mosin-Nagant M44
7. Swiss K31 Carbine
6. AK47
4. AR15
3. Remington 870

Glad to see they have a revo in there. I love my S&W M29's. And my other N-frames as well.

Hmmm, I don't see the Springfield XD up there. Oh my, I hope no un's feelings gets hurt... ;)

Gotta agree with the Barrett .50 cal at #1. What a cool guy!:monkey

Tomahawk

imported post

That had me rolling. Good read. But I agree about the lack of M1/M14. Patton himself, no wuss he, called the Garand the greatest battle implement ever devised, and somehow it's not on the list...

vinnie

imported post

Get the plastic off the list. I don't care how "modern" it is tupperware is NOT MANLY!

No glock, no AR.

The rest is a nice start. A sharps in 45/70 might not hurt.

Particle

imported post

Plastic may not be manly. However, epoxy set carbon fiber is. It's 40% stronger than aluminum and as much lighter too.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

vinnie wrote:
SNIP Get the plastic off the list. I don't care how "modern" it is tupperware is NOT MANLY!

A sharps in 45/70 might not hurt.

:) Great response! Tupperware, indeed.

Too bad the list didn't include any doubled rifles like used for hunting dangerous big game in Africa. What were some of those? .600 Nitro Express? Now those were manly! For a manly activity!

imperialism2024

imported post

I'd have to add the side-by-side 12-gauge (or 10-gauge) shotgun. Better yet if the barrel is shortened to several inches long and has a pistol grip, with more points if the pistol grip was fashioned by sawing off the stock. Best if open carried.

:celebrate

I'm also surprised that the Desert Eagle hasn't been mentioned... while its usefulness is debateable, it does look quite badass.

Particle

imported post

Yup. Manly doesn't necessarily mean practical. After all, somebody open carrying an M60 machine gun is manly. It is not very practical.

While the DEs are nice, I can't see myself spending a dollar per round.

VAopencarry

imported post

I guess I am a girly man.

I do not own a single gun on the list and the only one I intend to own is an AR, have shot a few but BFD. I never realized my masculinity was determined by what manly guns I own.:shock:

How about an honorable mention to the .44AMP :D