• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ten manliest firearms

imperialism2024

imported post

Particle wrote:
Yup. Manly doesn't necessarily mean practical. After all, somebody open carrying an M60 machine gun is manly. It is not very practical.

While the DEs are nice, I can't see myself spending a dollar per round.
Ah, well my progressive reloading press just arrived in the mail today. So in other words, I'll be spending the coming weekend converting my pile of 800 or so .44 Magnum casings into rounds at considerably less than the $30 per box of 50 going rate around here. So, if all of a sudden I stop posting on here, chances are that I broke my wrist from a slightly too lively day at the range...

I think this thread has inspired me, though, to put the pistol grip back on my Mossberg 500. There goes the wrist again...

TrueBrit

imported post

Citizen wrote:
vinnie wrote:
SNIP Get the plastic off the list. I don't care how "modern" it is tupperware is NOT MANLY!

A sharps in 45/70 might not hurt.

:) Great response! Tupperware, indeed.

Too bad the list didn't include any doubled rifles like used for hunting dangerous big game in Africa. What were some of those? .600 Nitro Express? Now those were manly! For a manly activity!

NOW we are talking REAL guns, my man! Big ol' side by side Express rifles, fifteen pounds,realtiger slayers! Don't forget the howdah pistols that accompany them!

Single action .45s, lever action rifles, SMLEs, Webley Bulldogs, London shotguns, 1911s, what more could my wicked little black heart desire? Well, maybe a nice German drei-ling, or drilling, S/S 16 gauge over a .308, perhaps !

I just KNEW that Citizen had some taste and style about him, good job, Sir!

Thundar

imported post

I am partial to my SKS with the modified 40 round clip, that awesome bayonet and the grenade launcher. There is a real cool adaptor that lets you shoot golf balls with the grenade launcher.No scope just buku accuracy with iron sights.

I also love my 100 year old Swedish Mauser. There is something very manly about the old rifle. Maybe the accuracy, maybe the look.

Of course my boomsticks (muzzleloaders) are the most manly. :exclaim:

Handguns are not manly, except maybe a 1911.

imperialism2024

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
Citizen wrote:
vinnie wrote:
SNIP Get the plastic off the list. I don't care how "modern" it is tupperware is NOT MANLY!

A sharps in 45/70 might not hurt.

:) Great response! Tupperware, indeed.

Too bad the list didn't include any doubled rifles like used for hunting dangerous big game in Africa. What were some of those? .600 Nitro Express? Now those were manly! For a manly activity!

NOW we are talking REAL guns, my man! Big ol' side by side Express rifles, fifteen pounds,realtiger slayers! Don't forget the howdah pistols that accompany them!

Single action .45s, lever action rifles, SMLEs, Webley Bulldogs, London shotguns, 1911s, what more could my wicked little black heart desire? Well, maybe a nice German drei-ling, or drilling, S/S 16 gauge over a .308, perhaps !

I just KNEW that Citizen had some taste and style about him, good job, Sir!

I'm going to start looking at the real big bore rifles when I get the money together... Which are the ones that cause retinal detachment? 'Cause no gun is more manly than the one that makes you blind and breaks bones when you shoot it...

expvideo

imported post

I think we are missing the point of what manly means. I suppose it can hold a different meaning to anybody, since it's all about opinion. To me, manly denotes that it is in some way honorable, or goes far out of it's way to be on the side of good. To me the AK47 is a manly rifle because it was designed by a man who was not looking for a profit, but fora rifle to give his countrymen a better chance in battle.

We will all have a different idea of what manly is, but to me it is about honor and integrity, even when it is difficult or intimidating.
A real man is honest and never lies; he is proud of his decisions and stands behind them, while he understands when he has made a mistake, and is willing to take responsibility for it.
A real man is humble, and puts his family before himself.
A real man is faithful toone woman, and is disgusted by the saying "it doesn't hurt to look"; his wife/gf/fiancee is the only woman in the world that he reserves those kind of feelings for.
A real man believes in the constitution and dreads the day that brave men will have to be brave men to defend it, but stays prepaired for that day.
A real man does not cry in front of those that depend on him for strength; he is a constant symbol of fortitude for the women and children in his life, and they look to him for strength of their own.
A real man will work hard to accomplish what he sets his mind to and does not take shortcuts; he does not pay someone to do a job he could do himself.
A real man can admit when he was wrong, and learn from his mistakes.

Your list of what it is to be a man may differ from mine. I don't think that big-bore=manly. I think that what has been done with a weapon or why it was designed would put them on the "manly weapons" list, but not just based on their caliber.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:

the M44 because it has my favorite round, the 7.62x54r. It spits a 4 foot fireball when it fires. And it's a glorified spear that happens to fire bullets.

:lol:I need to get another Mosin-Nagant. Don't forget the fact that the 91/30 functions asanother glorified spear.

But carbines rock!

casullshooter

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
expvideo wrote:

the M44 because it has my favorite round, the 7.62x54r. It spits a 4 foot fireball when it fires. And it's a glorified spear that happens to fire bullets.

:lol:I need to get another Mosin-Nagant. Don't forget the fact that the 91/30 functions asanother glorified spear.

But carbines rock!
I have picked off gallon jugs at 300 yds.(open sights) with a M 91-30 , but I do want a M1944 as well. Mosin-Nagants have to be one of the best values in rifles around.

Tomahawk

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I'm going to start looking at the real big bore rifles when I get the money together... Which are the ones that cause retinal detachment? 'Cause no gun is more manly than the one that makes you blind and breaks bones when you shoot it...

Amen, brother. Check this out. The guy at the end of the video is the manliest:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AlLewWKw-Rw

imperialism2024

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

So, it looks like the guy at the end was getting ready to cycle through to another round to fire? Awesome. I need to get me one of those. It does go to show how terrible of a stance some people have when firing a rifle... generally when firing a ginormous round, you don't want to be leaning back when firing...

And expvideo, you're saying that size doesn't matter, then? :lol:

C'mon ladies, tell us: does (bore) size matter?

ETA: Tomahawk, take a look at this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3BYnG4vrb-U

Tomahawk

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

So, it looks like the guy at the end was getting ready to cycle through to another round to fire? Awesome. I need to get me one of those. It does go to show how terrible of a stance some people have when firing a rifle... generally when firing a ginormous round, you don't want to be leaning back when firing...

And expvideo, you're saying that size doesn't matter, then? :lol:

C'mon ladies, tell us: does (bore) size matter?

ETA: Tomahawk, take a look at this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3BYnG4vrb-U
Ha! That's the same tough guy from the end of the first vid.

zoom6zoom

imported post

the AK, because it's a real man's assault rifle. It's metal and wood, like a rifle should be, and it works every time.
And you can build them in your garage.

My list has got to include the Garand, and a lever action like the Win 94. The Duke would be mad if you left them off the list.

AbNo

imported post

Particle wrote:
10. SMLE
9. Mosin-Nagant M44
8. GLOCK (All of them, apparently)
7. Swiss K31 Carbine
6. AK47
5. Smith & Wesson Model 29
4. AR15
3. Remington 870
2. Colt Model 1911A1 .45 ACP
1. Barrett M82 .50 caliber rifle

Good list. Not seeing any AR pistols on there. They're definately manly.

Actually, the AR pistol is listed in the AR-15.

"All you have to do is press two pins and swap upper receivers. You can have anything from a 6" pistol to a 24" match rifle in a matter of minutes."

radwood

imported post

A couple of obvious ones are missing from the original list, for example, the M1 Garand. If that isn't manly I don't know what is. Also, anything with the word "Browning" in the name automatically oozes masculinity and freedom and Americaness

Of course, the rules for the list knock a lot of the real manly weapons out of the running. Sure, AKs and ARs are nice, but what you need is an M2, or a Mk19 :p

Michigander

imported post

expvideo wrote:
The FN FAL is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, it's hugeand I never want one, but it sure is manly. Too much so for my taste, lol.

Try a DSA one with an aluminum lower and a shorter barrel. You'd be nicely surprised.