• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA endorses area Republicans

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

More than likely these are progun folks but knowing that an NRA A rating doesn't mean much sometimes, I'd do some research first.

[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]NRA endorses area Republicans[/font][font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]

[/font][font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]
NRA endorses area Republicans
[/font][font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]By BERNARD BAKER[/font] [font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"] [/font][font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]
Register & Bee staff writer
[/font] [font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"] [/font][font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"] [/font][font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]While Delegate Danny Marshall and his opponent, Democrat Adam Tomer, both received an A from the National Rifle Association, the Republican incumbent received the group’s endorsement because of his voting record.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]“It’s definitely a feather in my cap,” said Marshall, who has been in a fierce campaign battle with Tomer leading up to the Nov. 6 election.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]In addition to Marshall, Republicans Robert Hurt, Donald Merricks and Charles Poindexter also received the NRA’s endorsement Monday.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]Hurt, R-Chatham, and Marshall, R-Danville, have a track record of supporting the rights of gun owners.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]“Virginia’s law-abiding gun owners, hunters and sportsmen can count on them to continue their efforts in the General Assembly to promote and protect our freedoms,” said Joel Partridge, Virginia NRA liaison. “By earning the NRA endorsement in the 16th and 9th House districts, respectively, Don Merricks and Charles Poindexter have clearly demonstrated their respect for our hunting heritage and the right to keep and bear arms. I look forward to working together with all of them as we address the issues concerning Virginia gun owners.”[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]Hurt, who is running for the 19th District seat in the state Senate, has had the backing of the NRA since he was elected to the House of Delegates in 2001.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]While Hurt received an A, his opponent, independent Sherman Witcher, did not respond to the NRA survey that was sent out this summer.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]The choice between Merricks and Democrat Andy Parker also was easy, Partridge said. Merricks received an A, while Parker got a D.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]“This was one of the races where we had such a difference between the two,” Partridge said.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]Merricks said he was pleased to get the endorsement from the NRA. He said the Second Amendment is an important right because it is key to individual liberty.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]“I’m all for having the right to bear arms,” Merricks said.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]In the 9th District House race, Poindexter got the nod over Democrat Eric Ferguson. Poindexter got an A, while Ferguson received an A-minus.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]Partridge said the NRA survey is mainly geared toward candidates who have not held public office and therefore have no voting record to lean on.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]Contact Bernard Baker at bbaker@registerbee.com or at (434) 791-7986.[/font]

sjhipple

imported post

As I understand it, the NRA's policy is to endorse the incumbent if the incumbent has a good record on gun rights...even if the opponent talks a better story. I guess they think that a real record is better than rhetoric.

I may be wrong about this....I remember hearing that this was their policy somewhere.