• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dog shoots Man.... dog not charged

xmirage2kx

imported post

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=333&sid=2062885

Hunting Dog Shoots Man
October 30th, 2007 @ 9:38am

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A hunter is recovering after he was shot in the leg at close range by his dog, who stepped on his shotgun and tripped the trigger, an official said Tuesday.

James Harris, 37, of Tama, was hit in the calf Saturday, the opening day of pheasant season, said Alan Foster, a spokesman with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

"He had surgery and is doing pretty well," he said. "He took between 100-120 pellets in about a 4-inch circle to his calf."

Harris was listed in good condition Tuesday, officials at University Hospitals in Iowa City said.

Harris was hunting with a group about three miles north of Grinnell. The group shot a bird, and when Harris went to get it, he put his gun on the ground and crossed a fence. As he crossed the fence, his hunting dog stepped on the gun, Foster said.

The gun was about 3 feet away from his leg.

"The muzzle velocity is so great that the pellets don't have a chance to spread out," he said.

No one else was hurt, and the dog was not injured.

Foster said no citations have been issued.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

That comes really close to...aww, I wanna give it to him...an accidental discharge.

Don't see too many ADs anymore. This is one, I am leaning toward.

Still...we need a rationale to blame it on somebody. Like the MMMers or other assorted antis. T-hawk is good at that. :p

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
That comes really close to...aww, I wanna give it to him...an accidental discharge.

Still...we need a rationale to blame it on somebody. Like the MMMers or other assorted antis. T-hawk is good at that. :p
I blame it on the hippie/tree-hugger/animal lovers for not pushing hard enough to outlaw all hunting of those poor innocent birdies... if they'd done their job, this wouldn't have happened... but you see, it serves the evil hunter right to get shot... I mean, how do you think those bird feel when they get "winged" ?!!?

bourneshooter

imported post

IdahoCorsair wrote:
HankT wrote:

I blame it on the hippie/tree-hugger/animal lovers for not pushing hard enough to outlaw all hunting of those poor innocent birdies... if they'd done their job, this wouldn't have happened... but you see, it serves the evil hunter right to get shot... I mean, how do you think those bird feel when they get "winged" ?!!?

The only emotion I get when animals get shot is, "Supper is gonna be good."

What about how I felt when Al-Zacharwi died? "Sucks to be him."

(FYI: Al-Zacharwi was the leader of Al-Quada in Iraq last year until the 2000lb JDAM Justice found him).

UTOC-45-44

imported post

HankT wrote:

I'd Call itNEGLIGENT Discharge.

(This is the time whenHankTand I disagree)

I believe there was NOTHING accidental about it. You NEVER put a Loaded ( chambered ) rifle/shotgun on the ground and it goes off due to the Dog and thenclaim Ignorance. He was NEGLIGENT in his Actions.

You don't put a loaded anything on the ground and step over a Fence.

One of the 1st things we were taught here in the HUNTERS EDUCATION class is to NEVER walk with a Chambered rifle/shotgun.

NO SYMPATHY from me...he deserved it.

(Blame it on the DOG, huh ??? What...the wife wasn't around:lol:)

Particle

imported post

Put the safety on. If you unload your shotgun to cross a fence, you're a dork.

TrueBrit

imported post

Particle wrote:
Put the safety on. If you unload your shotgun to cross a fence, you're a dork.

Sir, I respectfully disagree.

Back home in England, I invariably carried a side by side afield in pursuit of game.Semi autos and pumps were considered to be OK for claybusting, but hardly the choice weapon of the serious game shot.

I ALWAYS unloaded my gun to cross a fence, the work of a moment with a side by side.Occasionally,a bird or rabbit might present a shot whilst my gun was unloaded.

No matter.

"All the pheasants ever bred,

Can't repay just ONE man dead!"

Words to live by.

TrueBrit.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:

(Blame it on the DOG, huh ??? ...)

Would you blame this pooch?

hunting_dog_250x251.jpg

I think not...

Look, we gotta find a way to blame the MMMers! Or Sarah B.!

Or Han.... never mind. :uhoh:

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

(Blame it on the DOG, huh ??? ...)

Would you blame this pooch?

hunting_dog_250x251.jpg

I think not...

Look, we gotta find a way to blame the MMMers! Or Sarah B.!

Or Han.... never mind. :uhoh:

LEO229 says he blames his dog for...well...not for shooting, exactly.

Perhaps this is a case of Goofy with a gun, Hank? (Assuming you believe Goofy is a dog...what does that make Pluto?)

Goofy.jpg

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Hunter Safety 101, unload your gun before crossing a fence. No sympathy from me.

ETA: Come on HankT you know you want to say it. It's OK.

bayboy42

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
HankT wrote:

I believe there was NOTHING accidental about it. You NEVER put a Loaded ( chambered ) rifle/shotgun on the ground and it goes off due to the Dog and thenclaim Ignorance. He was NEGLIGENT in his Actions.

One of the 1st things we were taught here in the HUNTERS EDUCATION class is to NEVER walk with a Chambered rifle/shotgun.

Yall don't do alot of bird hunting out there in Utah eh UTOC?:what:

I think particle had it partially right........just make sure the safety is on (I won't go so far as to call ya a dork if you unload to cross a fence:lol:)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Safety rules like that haven't come out of midair from the safety nazis, they come from minor and major tragedies like this incident.
http://www.hunter-ed.com/sc/course/ch6_crossing_obstacles.htm
Crossing Obstacles
  • Always unload guns before crossing fences or other obstacles or before negotiating rough terrain.
  • Cross wire fences close to a fence post to prevent damage to the fence.
  • After unloading it, place the gun on the other side of the fence or obstacle to be crossed, with the muzzle pointed away from you and your crossing point. Then cross the fence and retrieve your gun.
  • Pull a gun toward you by the butt—never by the muzzle.
  • If two people are crossing, one person gives the other person both guns, crosses first, and then receives the unloaded guns from the other hunter.
safety_one_person_crossing_fence.jpg
safety_two_people_crossing_fence.jpg

UTOC-45-44

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
HankT wrote:

Yall don't do alot of bird hunting out there in Utah eh UTOC?:what:

I think particle had it partially right........just make sure the safety is on (I won't go so far as to call ya a dork if you unload to cross a fence:lol:)

Per Longwatch's post "ALWAYS SAFETY FIRST".

There will ALWAYS be another Bird but NOT Another Life. This Guy was lucky...Negligent, but Lucky.

bayboy42

imported post

I'm not disputing that its a good idea to unload your shotgun before crossing a fence.

My comment was focused on UTOC's never walk with a chambered rifle/shotgun jibberish. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any hunter safety guidance indicating never to walk with a chambered rifle/shotgun.....it would kind of go against the whole section on "Safely Carrying Firearms in the Field".

imperialism2024

imported post

Even aside from hunting safety guidelines, isn't it not a good idea to leave a loaded gun outside of a controlled area? Wouldn't it be similar to leaving a loaded shotgun laying in your front yard while you go around the house to the shed to get something?

TrueBrit

imported post

Curiously enough, we always walked up game with our side by sides loaded, obviously, but invariably with the safety catches ON.

Bear in mind that on a decent London or Birmingham madehammerless ejector, by applying the safety catch, one locks the action of the sears, or internal hammers.

As the gun is raised for a shot, one merelythumbsthe safety catch forward, in much the same way as oneleversa cartridge into the chamber ofthe old .30-30 as it comes up to the shoulder.

Interesting to compare the respective techniques that prevail in UK and USA. Very similar, really.

TrueBrit.