• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in and around Franklin County, PA

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

*Originally posted on PAFOA forum 8/24/07*

OK, I've been keeping a few notes and I think I have them organized enough to throw them out there. I'm fairly new to OC, so you'll notice that most of these initial outings are brief and in places where I feel I'm not likely to be challenged....Stay tuned as my confidence increases.

6/9/07
Bulger's Auto Repair
Fayetteville (Franklin County)
Stopped to pay a bill that wasn’t ready when I picked up my truck. No comments.

7/14/07
SnapGo convenience store
Between Chambersburg & Gettysburg (Adams County)
Quick stop for a soda. No comments.

7/28/07
Sheetz
Wayne Ave., Chambersburg (Franklin County)
Stopped for gas, food and drinks before a day of geocaching. Lots of people around. No noticeable looks, no comments.

Amelia Given Library
Mt. Holly Springs (Cumberland County)
Stopped to check on a geocache I own. Spoke directly to a librarian to let her know why I was there. I don’t stop here frequently. My contact person wasn’t in and the rest of the staff really has no clue who I am. No comments.

Blain Hotel & Restaurant
Blain (Perry County)
Grabbed a sub to go. No comments.

Public park in Newville
Newville (Cumberland County)
Hunting a geocache. Only encountered a couple of people, none closely. No comments.

8/6/07
Giant grocery store
Spent ~10 minutes...Felt a few eyes from the young employees who were outside smoking, but no comments were made. Gun was facing the person staffing the ‘self check-outs’, and I dropped my wallet when I went for my money…..pretty sure I at least caught their eye. No comments, got a "Thank you, have a good day" on the way out.

8/10/07
Molly Pitcher Mini Mart
Between Greencastle and State Line (Franklin County)
Good conversation with the owner. Full story here. My first real ‘interaction’ with anyone while OCing

Downtown Mercersburg
Mercersburg (Franklin County)
Quick stop for a geocache. No comments.

I'll keep all of my future experiences here, to help keep down clutter on the boards. Also, as you can see, it's been a while since I've had a chance to carry. My only pistol is currently in for service. I hope it's back by Thursday (but I fear it won't be). I'm heading out Thursday night for a three-day, 700 mile geocaching tour of NE PA. I was looking forward to the chance to OC a good bit.[/QUOTE]

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

*Originally posted on PAFOA forum 9/9/07*

9/4/07

McDonald's

Lincoln Way East, Chambersburg (FranklinCounty)

Ate in, which is a rare occasion. No comments.

9/5/07

Walker's Barber Shop

In basement of Mr. Walker's private residence, Chambersburg (Franklin County)

It was a bit crowded, but didn't notice any looks on the way in, though my pistol was shielded by my body from most of the other customers. As the crowd thinned, and my son hopped up in the chair, my pistol was more visible, and a young guy asked if I was law enforcement. I said that I was not, just a private citizen.

He's in the Seabees, and said he was totally cool with it, and said he wanted to carry to when he turned 21. I told him he could OC at 18. There were four of us (military kid, myself, Mr. Walker, and another father there with his son) that had a good conversation about carrying (OC and CC). We discussed various details of both options. The other father asked me if I had been in a situation where I'd been personally threatened which made me decide to carry. I told him I've never had such a personal encounter, but (sadly) I felt that there was no longer any such thing as a "Safe Place". That anything could happen to anyone at any time and I felt it was my responsibility to be ready for such an occasion, even though I felt it was unlikely.

The only point which I would say was in disagreement (though IMO a minor one), was Mr. Walker's suggestion of mandatory training for folks who carry, comparing it to getting a driver's license. I reminded him that driving was a privilege, and bearing arms was a protected right. I did state that I believe training is advisable, and was pursuing it myself, but do not think it should be a legal requirement in order to exercise my RKBA.

All in all, a good encounter, and I don't expect any problems when I carry there again.

9/9/07

Michaux State Forest

Intersection of Milesburg Rd. & Birch Run Rd. (Adams County)

I wasn't planning on this being worthy of making the list, but a 'non-event' that I though was worth mentioning occurred (confused yet?).

My wife and son wanted to kayak at the reservoir today, and since my assistance was desired to load/unload, etc. I tagged along, figuring I'd pass a little time at the public range just up the road.

As I neared the turn-off, I saw signs stating the road was closed for a motor-cross event. I parked and climbed out of the truck, asking one of the volunteers if I could walk up the road to the range (about .25 miles from where I stopped). He said he wasn't sure, and indicated the signs stating the road was closed. He told me it would be open again in an hour or so, and I told him that by that time I wanted to be gone again. I asked if the entire forest was closed for the event, reminding him if it wasn't, I should be permitted to walk up through the woods to get to the range. He then referred me to the DCNR guy who was talking to one of the bikers.

The DCNR guy quickly gave me the ok to walk the road to the range. Not sure what his official status was, as he was unarmed and without the usual utility belt, but he didn't bat an eye or ask any questions about my sidearm.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

*Originally posted on PAFOA forum ~9/23/07*

9/11/07
Staples

Chambersburg Crossing Shopping Center (Franklin County)

Went in with my son to get a 'project board' for a science project. Didn't feel like wandering around looking, so I went straight to Customer Service to ask. They in turn had a 'Merchandiser' take me to the area, and I was rung out by the Assistant Manager. No comment or weird looks noticed.

9/12/07
Chambersburg Pistol & Rifle Club

Cider Press Rd, Chambersburg (Franklin County)

Went to participate in Members Meeting. I'm always amused when I get comments at 'pro-gun' locations. I can't even remember exactly what was said. It wasn't rude or snarky, but the club president made some type of comment. I gave my usual answer of "It goes where I go". He said "It's called a Concealed Carry Permit for a reason". I asked if he had his on him. He said he didn't, but took my word when I corrected him on the correct title of the card. I also told him I've open carried around town with no hassles to date. He asked for places where I'd been and couldn't believe that no one has ever confronted me. He opined that he used to CC alot, and really should carry more.

9/13/07
My parents' house

Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)

My dad's an NRA member, even though the only guns in his house are an old shotgun and single-shot .22 that were my grandfather's. When I got my first pistol in April, he said he's been thinking about getting one. I've OC'd numerous times at their house without issue. My dad is the kind of guy that if there were an issue, I'd know it!

After dinner, we walked across the street to talk with a neighbor. Knowing him, I didn't expect a hassle, but he did ask if it was a BB gun, or if I was now working as a security guard. I answered "No" to both. Nothing further was said about the pistol.

9/15/07
Sunoco A-Plus Mini Market

Route 30, Fayetteville, PA (Franklin County)

Stopped for a fill-up, but was at the outside pump and don't think I was seen by anyone.

Burger King
Walnut Bottom Road, Shippensburg, PA (Cumberland County)

Planned on hitting the drive through, but the line was long, and there was no one inside, so I went to the counter. As the clerk (teen-age boy) handed me my food, He commented, "Nice gun, what is it?". I answered him and he said again, "That's a nice gun". I think he wanted to make sure I knew he saw it (and probably that it was 'cool'), but really didn't know what else to say.

Giant grocery store

My wife needed a heat wrap for a sore muscle, so I ran in to get one. I've OC'd in this store several times now, so I didn't expect a problem. I did see my son's babysitter at the check-out, but I don't think she saw the pistol. I don't think she's anti-gun, but would expect her to ask me about it someday if she had noticed it, and she hasn't said anything.

9/16/07
Sears (Chambersburg Mall)

Scotland, PA (Franklin County)

I entered and exited through the outside entrance. I'd bet money that OC in the mall itself wouldn't be well-received and I haven't had the nerve to test it yet. I just needed to get a pair of khakis and be on my way. My son was with me (age 10). He target shoots with me, but since carrying (OC or CC) is fairly new in our house, I talk with him about it, and how he feels about me doing it. Some places seem to bother him more than others, but today I got the thumbs up, so away we went.

He checked out the game tables while I made a quick trip to the restroom, then we grabbed the pants and went to check-out. The young girl that rung me up didn't seem to bat an eye.

Gander Mountain

First time I've OC'd here. I've read differing things about OC here. Because of the type of store, I was more comfortable having to deal with a possible confrontation. Sailed right past the Customer Service desk without issue, and proceeded to the gun counter. Looked around for a few minutes, held a few pistols, and went on my way.

Act II Consignment Shop
Marion, PA (Franklin County)

Went here for the express purpose of finding a sport jacket to use as a cover garment for 'nicer' occasions (like an upcoming wedding). Of course, to do this, I needed to have the pistol with me for sizing purposes.

I proceeded my wife into the store, and she stopped short when she saw I was OC'ing. I reminded here why I was here, and that it would be difficult to do without the gun. She said she was concerned because the store is owned by Mennonites (pacifists). I respect their beliefs, but had she not told me this, I would have no way of knowing such. Their employees are clearly not Mennonite, and there were no signs opposing weapons, so she reluctantly came along (she's not real big on carrying in general, and OC seems to really disturb her).

Had no problems at all while in the store.

9/21/07
Wal-Mart

Shippensburg, PA (Cumberland County)

I was on my way home from taking my son to the grandparents, and my wife calls and says she needs eggs. Since this location was closer to my route than my local one, I stopped here.

First time OC'ing in a Wal-Mart. My local store gives me the impression I'd be confronted, but this one has a more rural feel, and is usually less busy. Of course, it's Friday night, so the 'less busy' idea is out the window, but I'm by myself with time to kill, so I figure I'd go for it. I walked all the way to the back of the store, grabbed the eggs, and proceeded back to the front. I passed numerous people, but didn't look over my shoulder to see if they were dropping over from shock. ;)

I did have to stand in line for about 5 minutes, with folks continuing to line up behind me. No comments at all.[/QUOTE]

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

*Originally posted on PAFOA forum ~10/27/07*

10/1/07
Michael's

Quick stop to get a picture frame and glass vase.

Target

Needed to get a couple of pictures made from my SD card. Interacted with the Customer Service/Photo Lab folks, then proceeded to wander around the store to get a couple of other small items for about 10 minutes, before returning to pick up my photos.

10/6/07
Chambersburg Dental Associates

Walker Road, Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)

Had to get a filling. :(

Wal-mart
Rt. 30, Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)

Made a quick stop with my father to pick up some things to do an oil change. This was my first time OCing in WM, and I thought I caught a nasty look from an employee in the garden center on my way in, though nothing came of it. Spent a couple of minutes chatting with our cashier (my dad used to work with her dad). No comments on my pistol.

10/7/07
Wal-mart

I could sense the timing was poor to push the OC issue with my wife. Since I'm up earlier than here anyhow, I went ahead and went to the store alone. Spent about 40 mins. shopping with no issues at all.

10/21/07
Wal-Mart

Got ready for the bi-weekly trek to WM. Weather didn't require a jacket, so I was waiting for my wife to ask me to grab a cover garment. She didn't. We proceeded to WM and spent about two hours shopping. While there we ran into a guy who works at my company, and that my wife used to work for.

Him: "What's that?"
Me: "What does it look like?"
Him: "A firearm"
Me: "You're right, it is a firearm"
Him: "Do you have a license for that?"
Me: "Yes, I do, but I don't need it if I'm carrying like this. Only if I'm in a vehicle, Philly, or decide to conceal it."
My wife: "I don't like that he carries it, but it's up to him."
Him: "Huh"

...conversation moved on to other things

After we loaded the car and were getting ready to leave, I gave my wife a kiss on the cheek and said "Thank you". She asked, "For what?" I said, "For not making a big deal about the pistol."

After putting the groceries away, we headed out again for a day of errands where I continued to OC at the following businesses, all without any issues or questions:

Applebee's
Wayne Ave., Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)

Michael's

Staples

Gander Mountain
Black Gap Rd, Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)

Sears
Chambersburg Mall (Franklin County)

inside Chambersburg Mall
Chambersburg Mall (Franklin County)

Actually ventured into the mall itself. No problems, but I didn't see any mall ninjas while there.

10/23/07
PA Capitol

Harrisburg, PA (Dauphin County)

OC'd for my three block walk from the parking garage to the Commonwealth Ave. entrance.

Me: "I need to secure my firearm"
Guard: (raises eyebrows) "Why are you carrying it?"
Me: "I carry for self-defense and I carry everywhere I go."
Guard: "Do you have a license?"
Me: "Yes, but you understand that I do not need one to carry openly?"
Guard: "Yeah, that's right. Please remove the pistol from your holster and lay it on the x-ray belt."

When I did this, he cleared my weapon and waved me through the metal detector. He had another officer begin to fill out the receipt and said he was going to "get this out of sight right away, so nobody freaks out". He then asked to see my ID and LTCF, which I produced. I asked why he needed to see my LTCF, since I wasn't required to have it to OC. He said it was part of their procedure. I didn't think to ask what would have happened if I didn't have it with me. He also seemed a little surprised that the round from the chamber wouldn't fit in the mag.

They then asked me to sign the receipt where it said "Received by owner". I stated that I would not sign it, as that would mean the firearm was back in my posession. I told them I would sign that after my weapon was returned to me. They then had me initial the receipt instead. I noticed after I walked away that the Receiveing Officer did not fill in his badger number on the receipt either.

All in all, it was clear that they needed to refer to their printed policy on what to do, and probably didn't to this on a daily basis. While a bit 'out of their element', I didn't feel hassled by them at all. It was clear that I had more confidence in this situation than they did. When I returned in the afternoon, there were two different officers present. After a short search for the key, they retrieved my items and called me over behind the cabinet door where I charged and holstered my weapon. I thanked them and went on my way.

10/25/07
Orrstown Bank

Orchard Drive, Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)

Stopped so my son could exchange some pennies for cache. I usually don't go in myself, but I pay my son's allowance by check so he can endorse it, put some in savings and cash the rest. The ladies there know us well and always mention how grown up he acts (he's 10). Also, one of the girls is his baby sitter's daughter, so she knows me enough to know I'm not a criminal. As usual, I hung back at the island where you can prep your items and left my son take care of his business alone. Pretty sure no alarms were triggered because of me.

Lifeway Christian Store
Sheller Ave., Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)

Stopped to get a gift card for my mother's birthday.

I continue to OC at Molly Pitcher Mini Mart at least once a week. I haven't had any further inquiries from the owner. I've also been back to my mechanic a couple of times. He hasn't said anything, but clearly looks at it when I'm there.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

*Originally posted on PAFOA forum 10/29/07*

Originally Posted by Zef_66

Very nice report. But may I suggest that you clear your own firearm? Never let someone that is unfamiliar with your firearm handle it while it is loaded. Many people, even LEO and armed security guards only know how to operate their own weapons, and they don't do that very safely. Also, you said he was surprised there was a round chambered. If he hadn't checked because he figured there wasn't anything in there, it could have been bad.
I agree that I should have done this myself when asked to place it on the belt. I need to make a big mental note to clear my own weapon any time it needs to come out of the holster for a situation like this.

As he released the mag, I verbally told him there was also a round in the chamber. The 'suprised look' I mentioned came when he discovered that the round in the chamber was in addition to a full mag and it could not be inserted into the mag.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Had a curious experience on Friday, 11/2. I pulled into Molly Pitcher Mini Mart for my weekly gas stop. As I started the pump, I noticed a young 'dude' milling around outside the store smoking. Since I had just recently retrieved my pistol (can't have it on company property), I removed it from my lockbox. As I holstered it and put it on, I could see 'dude' looking towards me through my windows. He finished his cigarette and went into the store, going to the back near the office/restrooms. At this point I thought maybe he was a new employee, and curious about me since he hadn't seen me OC there before.

I went in to pay ('dude' still at the back of the store). I stopped at the clerk, then decided to get a soda too. Told the clerk I'd be right back and headed for the cooler, near where 'dude' was standing. As I headed in his direction, he came from the back, passing me and heading out the door. When I got back to the register, the clerk was shaking his head in confusion. He said the guy had been hanging outside for about 10 minutes before I got there, then came in to 'use the restroom', then hung out inside until I headed towards him, at which point he disappeared.

The clerk pointed at my hip and said, "Maybe he saw your....". I said that perhaps he had, and that I had also noticed him when I pulled in and thought was acting strangely. I drove the whole way around the building before leaving, and didn't see him, so I went on my way....before anyone asks....I certainly wasn't planning to confront him, but would have went back and told the clerk he was still in the area.

Can't say if the visible presence of my weapon really stopped a crime from occurring or not. Lord knows there are all types of strange people around who are not necessarily up to anything criminal. It was an interesting mental exercise for me though, as it showed me that I am becoming more aware of my surroundings, and noticing when something seems out of place.

imperialism2024

imported post

So, perhaps you changed the life of a young man who would have become a criminal, but your deterrent of a firearm persuaded him to give up crime. Or not. Regardless, I'm sure you did a large part to either changed or reaffirmed the views of the cerk regarding the usefulness of open carry.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Looks like I forgot to keep this thread up to date. This should catch me up:

November 6, 2007
New Franklin Ruritan Community Center (my polling place)

New Franklin Rd., Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)

Time to vote!
In case you missed it, more details here.

November 8, 2007
Butcher Shoppe

Stouffer Ave., Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)

Stopped to get a few goodies

January 8, 2008
Hoss's

Lincoln Way East, Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)

Had dinner with a 18 friends.

January 11, 2008
Molly Pitcher Mini-Mart

Molly Pitcher Hwy, Greencastle, PA (Franklin County)

Weekly gas stop. Owner had a big grin on his face as he welcomed me today and said he had seen my picture in the paper. I hadn't spoken to him previously about my situation, but he knows I OC in there regularly, and I'm sure he'd noticed I hadn't done that for a few weeks.

1/23/08
Hoss's

Lincoln Way East, Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)

Dinner with family.

2/2/08
Giant grocery store

Stopped to pick up some fruit and snacks on our way out of town for the weekend.

Sheetz
Corner of Rts. 114 & 11, Mechanicsburg (Cumberland County)

Quick stop for drinks.

2/6/08
Shooter's Delight

Edenville Rd., Chambersburg (Franklin County)

Stopped in to pay for a safety class I'm taking in a couple of weeks. I also asked (and received permission) to leave some more of Pa. Patriot's flyers. I had left a few several months ago, and they were all gone.

As I came back in with the flyer's, the manager (former Chambersburg police officer) asked if I had read about the guy from Fayetteville that lost his LTCF. I looked a bit confused, and he then mentioned the hearing that was in the paper.

I told him the guy was from New Franklin, not Fayetteville, and that "I'm the guy". He's sure that my incident will lead to new legislation banning all firearms at polling places. I disagreed and we politely exchanged some of the typical arguments for/against OC. Neither of us will convince each other, and that's fine. The point I tried to leave him with is that everyone has the right to their own opinion and should be free to act within the law. Hope he doesn't bring this issue up during the class.....;)

2/10/08
Wal-mart

Had my coat on while selecting ammo and groceries (no DL scan for the ammo sale), but took my coat off for the self-check/bag/re-load cart operations. Had nice conversation with the clerk staffing the self-check aisles. My firearms was facing her, and I have no doubt it was seen. No mention of it, no summoning of management or LEOs.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

2/17/08
Denny's

Wayne Ave., Chambersburg, PA (Franklin County)
Lunch with PAFOA member Pro2A

3/2/08
Summit Plaza Restaurant

Blue Ridge Summit, PA (Franklin County)
Lunch with PAFOA members XUSNORDY and HeavyD

3/3/07
Wal-Mart

Stopped in to look at some new locksets. As I was browsing, a man came around the end of the aisle and said, "Excuse me, sir....". I prepared to defend my actions, smiling as I turned to him (but thinking "Here we go..."). He said, "I was wondering how you like your Blackhawk holster and what you think of the draw and retention?" We talked about it for about 10 minutes before going on our way.

3/7/08
China Buffet

K-mart shopping center/Wayne Ave. (Franklin County)
Dinner with my family.

3/8/08
Your Barber Shop

Lincoln Way East (Franklin County)
My other guy was really busy last night, so I gambled on a shorter wait here this morning.....wrong. Anyway, no comments at all while waiting. When I got in the chair, he asked where I worked. I told him and he said, "So you work security there?"....Nope, I'm just a shipping clerk. "So is that one of the new Glocks?"....No, it's a S&W Sigma, actually this one's about 10 years old. Then the conversation moved on to other things.

Walmart
Stopped by to pick up a box of ammo before heading to the Pittsburgh area for the weekend.

Midway Service Plaza
PA Turnpike, westbound (Bedford County)
Restroom break.

Super 8 Motel
Golden Mile Hwy, Monroeville, PA (Allegheny County)
Check-in and hang out until ACSL banquet.

Futules Harmar House banquet facility
Cheswick, PA (Allegheny County)
ACSL Awards Banquet w/ AG Tom Corbett speaking. Great event!

3/9/08
Super 8 Motel

Golden Mile Hwy, Monroeville, PA (Allegheny County)
Free continental breakfast and check out.

Whitehall Public Library (Community Room)
Whitehall, PA (Allegheny County)
FOAC Meeting.

Midway Service Plaza
PA Turnpike, eastbound (Bedford County)
Restroom break.

3/13/08
Molly Pitcher Mini Mart

Ran a day short on gas this week.

3/14/08
Molly Pitcher Mini Mart

Back for weekly fill-up.

Fort Chambers Gun Shop
Called in earlier in the day to confirm hours and if they would put up a flyer for the rally at the Capital. The guy at the counter said I wasn't the one I'd talked to, but would put up the flyer as long as it wasn't for a "house of ill repute". I told him that since it was at the Capital, that might be debatable. He (and the couple other customers there) thought that was funny, so he said he'd put it up anyway.;)

Staples
Had to grab some name labels for tomorrow's PAFOA luncheon.

3/15/08
Historic Texas Lunch

Lincoln Way West, Chambersburg (Franklin County)
PAFOA luncheon with 12 participants (6 of us OCing).

3/16/08
All repeat establishments in Chambersburg:
Wal-Mart
Giant Food Stores
(Wayne Ave.)
Blockbuster Video