• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Third officer shot in four days in the City of Brotherly Love

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Phila. Police Officer Critical After Shooting

PHILADELPHIA (CBS 3) ― A massive manhunt is underway after a Philadelphia Police officer was shot during an apparent robbery in the West Oak Lane section of the city Wednesday. The officer was the third cop shot in four days in the City of Brotherly Love.

Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson said 54-year-old Officer Charles Cassidy, a 25-year veteran of the force, was shot near 66th Avenue and Broad Street just before 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Johnson said the officer was making his rounds when he unknowingly walked into a robbery in progress at a Dunkin' Donuts.

The suspect shot the officer in the head, stealing his gun before fleeing the scene. The unidentified officer was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center in extremely critical condition.

Johnson said doctors were doing everything possible to help the officer, who was admitted into emergency surgery.

Chopper 3 was over the scene as dozens of officers searched for the suspect throughout the surrounding area and stormed a home in the 6800 block of N. 19th Street and the 7000 block of N. Broad Street.

According to CBS 3 Investigative Reporter Walt Hunter, the manhunt was the largest in the department's history.

Police are reviewing video which apparently caught the incident. Authorities plan to release an image of the suspect sometime Wednesday.

The suspect is described as a heavyset African American male in his 20s, approximately 5'11"- 6' tall, wearing a dark hoodie, tan khaki pants, black and white striped tan boots and has a tattoo of a spider on his left hand.

"He's extremely armed and dangerous and has no regard for human life at all," Johnson said.

Johnson said the wounded officer is married and has three children, one in high school, two in college. Mayor Street has joined family members at the hospital.

All schools in the Northwest section of the city were locked down during the police search, but they have since been reopened. (Click here for a list of schools that were on lock down).

LaSalle University officials said all classes prior to 5 p.m. have been canceled and they are awaiting a decision on evening classes.

The incident happened less than 24 hours after an officer was shot in the shoulder while responding to a shooting in Center City Tuesday night. It marks the forth police officer shot in the city this year. Click here to read more...

Johnson said the latest violence can directly be attributed to a gun problem within the city.

"The availability of guns are really, completely out of hand here in the city of Philadelphia," Johnson said.

No arrests have been made in Wednesday's shooting.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

"He's extremely armed and dangerous and has no regard for human life at all," Johnson said.

Johnson said the latest violence can directly be attributed to a gun problem within the city.

"The availability of guns are really, completely out of hand here in the city of Philadelphia," Johnson said.
OK, I had to laugh at the 'extremely armed' quote. It's as if they guy was carrying around a bazooka or something.

The other two lines are just stupid. Why do people always blame the gun? :banghead:

dng

State Researcher
imported post

It's a result of years of indoctrinating our kids in the public schools. Those kids eventually grow up, and all of a sudden there are a bunch of adults that have no idea what guns are all about.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Thundar wrote:
If the armed police cannot keep themselves safe, then what chance does a disarmed citizen have?
Thats not the point. The point is that if the citizens are disarmed, then the criminals will be disarmed, too, duh. I wonder if that will take care of the extremely armed criminals as well? :banghead:

FogRider

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Thundar wrote:
If the armed police cannot keep themselves safe, then what chance does a disarmed citizen have?
Thats not the point. The point is that if the citizens are disarmed, then the criminals will be disarmed, too, duh. I wonder if that will take care of the extremely armed criminals as well? :banghead:

I think everyone will have to be extremely disarmed.

imperialism2024

imported post

How does one walk into an armed robbery in progress unknowingly? Am I missing something here or was the officer's situational awareness so non-existant that he was unable to grasp that an armed robbery was happening? Darwin strikes again, methinks.

Police released a photo of the officer who was shot:

OfficerBarbrady.jpg

Unless this is just part of a coverup for something else. Either way... :shock:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
How does one walk into an armed robbery in progress unknowingly? Am I missing something here or was the officer's situational awareness so non-existant that he was unable to grasp that an armed robbery was happening? Darwin strikes again, methinks.
I wouldn't be too quick to rush to judgement. Maybe something (lighting, floorplan, etc) kept him from seeing what was going on in the store from the outside?

I do, however, believe in trying to find the humor in a bad situation (thus the byline to the thread title). I imagine the last thought going through the cop's mind: "damn it, I'm never gonna hear the end of it if I get shot in a donut shop!"

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:

Police released a photo of the officer who was shot:

Unless this is just part of a coverup for something else. Either way... :shock:

Report of a cop getting surprised by a BG with a gun...minimal information about the details, except for the detail ofhis getting shot in the head....and youimmediatelyproffer some implicationsabout how it was his fault...orpart of a cover-up.

Nice logic. Nice shallow logic.

CA_Libertarian wrote:
OK, I had to laugh at the 'extremely armed' quote. It's as if they guy was carrying around a bazooka or something.

It's obvious there is an error. It's obvious that he meant: extremely dangerous. Either Johnson misspoke or the reporter got it wrong. Why pick at the trivial?

The really important thing is that an innocent human got shot--for a few lousybucks. And even more important thanthat is that the murderous shooter got away. And he's got another gun--the cop's. Think that is funny?

Got anything perky to say about that?

BTW, the cop (oh yeah, the donut-crazed cop to you) is reported to be in "extremely critical" condition with a bullet hole in his head. Take a wack at that one, why don't you?

Y'know, cop-bashing is de rigeur on a lot of gun-related forums. Just the way it is. But OCDO is getting up there among the nastiest and inanest.

PavePusher

imported post

Gotta agree with HankT on this one, it's pretty easy to get blind-sided walking into many stores, if the action is already in progress. Lots of small city shops/convenience stores have windows blocked by racks, displays, etc. Floor lay-outs are planned to maximize inventory potential, not clear fields of fire/observation on entry.

How often do you do a tac recon before entering Starbucks for a cup of coffee, or to say hello to a friend? Sounds like no alarm had been sounded yet and the officer was simply dropping in to say hello, how's everything going. imperialism2024, I think you owe an apology...

DeltaII5

imported post

Johnson has been blaming everything on the availability of guns.

They had him on Anderson Cooper 360, when Cooper was trying to equate the rise in CCW permits with the rise in crime.

Philly is ****** up, to say the least.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Johnson said the officer was making his rounds when he unknowingly walked into a robbery in progress at a Dunkin' Donuts.
I don't mean to make light of him being shot, but a donut shop is part of his rounds? Cops have rounds? Donut shops are part of them?

PavePusher

imported post

ilbob wrote:
I don't mean to make light of him being shot, but a donut shop is part of his rounds? Cops have rounds? Donut shops are part of them?
Good police work involves knowing the community, the buisnesses, people, and local geography. Knowing what is "normal", will help you to identify "not normal". Although in this instance I surmise the critter was out of sight of the entryway, had a weapon drawn, and no alarm had yet been sounded.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Whether a LEO or just some person walking in off the street it is tragic and it is going to be a long horrid night for his family. Whether or not he survives, their heartache is just beginning. I'm not sure that anyone who has not watched a loved one in critical condition, not knowing if they are going to live or die, can understand the agony of just not knowing. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

imperialism2024

imported post

The article wrote:

The suspect shot the officer in the head, stealing his gun before fleeing the scene. The unidentified officer was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center in extremely critical condition.

Well, I guess I'm paranoid then. Whenever I'm walking into a store (or any enclosed space for that matter), I try to get a good sense of what's going on inside by making a quick observation, and a more detailed one if something doesn't seem right. Take the convenience store example. First, I'll look at how many cars are in the parking lot. One or more cars? I'll assume that there must be a customer, then, and assume employees park behind the building. Then, logically, at least one clerk should be at the counter. Is he? If he is, does he appear normal? What is he doing? Who is he helping? If the clerk isn't at the counter, where is he? These are the kinds of thoughts that go through my head. Once I'm in the store, the same thoughts go through my mind. I always try to keep a visual on the main entrance, and if possible, the parking lot. When I go into a room where I am to be seated, I'll sit in the corner. I observe and process the environment around me. It's not even a conscious thought process most of the time for me.

That's why I assume that LEOs do the same. They have the experience of cleaning up after people who weren't observant enough. I would expect them to expect the unexpected, so to speak.

To clearly tie all of this in to the quoted text, it states that he "unknowingly walked into" a crime in progress. Now, the story be misleading or wrong. But I'm taking that phrasing to mean that: he wasn't in the building when someone came in and attempted a robbery, targeting the cop first; he didn't enter an armed robbery with gun drawn trying to stop it; he wasn't shot from behind. No, the way the article is phrased, he walked into a situation entirely oblivious to the danger of it, and got shot. Is the shooter right in what he did? Certainly not. Could the cop have avoided getting shot? Maybe not. But if events played out according to the story's wording, the situation could have been handled much better by the cop.

The sheer ridiculousness of the scenario is why I also suspect that there just has to be something more to the events that for some reason or another is not being released. Given that the media are detail whores, I am led to believe that this restraint is on the part of the police. Why would the police hold back relevant details? Well, that's up to you to decide.

But getting back to the issue of situational awareness, I find it appalling that we, firearms carriers and advocates of self defense and personal safety, have such a naive view of what is going to happen if we ever need to fire a gun in self defense. The criminal is not going to see your gun, come up to you, propose a duel, then the two of you walk 20 paces before turning around and firing. No, it's going to necessitate a decision, draw, aim, and fire in a very small amount of time, be it fractions of a second or a few seconds. Especially if the attacker already has his weapon drawn. There just isn't a luxury of a delayed awareness and thus delayed response.

I'm a strong believer that the most important defensive weapon that I carry is my brain and my senses. The gun is merely a tool to augment it. Just like guns aren't going to jump out of their holsters and start murdering people, they're also not going to start shooting an attacker. Unless one is carrying a gun openly solely for the deterrent effect, it is extremely negligent and irresponsible to not thoroughly assess the threats before just entering Starbucks for a cup of coffee. For the situations where you will need to fire shots to ensure your own safety, a gun carried is useless without constant situational awareness.

An apology? Unless the facts come out that the cop was indeed aware of the situation and taking measures to bring an end to the robbery, then no, no apology.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:

It's obvious there is an error. It's obvious that he meant: extremely dangerous. Either Johnson misspoke or the reporter got it wrong. Why pick at the trivial?

The really important thing is that an innocent human got shot--for a few lousybucks. And even more important thanthat is that the murderous shooter got away. And he's got another gun--the cop's. Think that is funny?

Got anything perky to say about that?

Well, I don't think any error in the quotation is obvious. This guy later blamed guns for the violence, so why can't his other quotes be irrational? I think it makes more sense to interpret it as written, considering the source.

As for your distaste for my humor...

Ask any hospital worker, any cop, any paramedic, any firefighter if they joke about the horrible things they see throughout their day. I think you would find that the majority use humor as a coping mechanism (at least that's what I've found in my experience).

I don't think you can honestly say you don't find it ironic that the cop got shot in a donut shop. Even if the stereotype isn't true, it is ironic. Irony is funny. I think you're just the type that bows to the cultural norm of kissing the ass of the deceased (or the critically injured, in this case) simply for the sake of it. I don't care what society thinks I should do.

When I see something funny, I'm gonna laugh. Take your political correctness somewhere else, IMO.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

PC and shotgun-chic "tac recon." Condition yellow will suffice. Or situational awareness.

Do you willingly sit with your back to the door or room? Will you stay when the patrons get boisterous? Will you stay where the patrons wear their backwards ballcaps -- indoors? Where the patrons want you to notice them and their advertisements of eXtreme foolishness? How long do you stay after the F-bomb is dropped?

Our Right to freedom of association is the first precept of self-defense. Shun who you will. Each Right implies a Duty, exercise your 'duties' liberally and your Rights with discretion.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DeltaII5 wrote:
They had him on Anderson Cooper 360, when Cooper was trying to equate the rise in CCW permits with the rise in crime.
Did the bad guy have a CCW? Doubt it.
L = mi[sup]2[/sup] Liberalism = misinformation x ignorance squared !

Yata hey