• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Third officer shot in four days in the City of Brotherly Love

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

dngreer wrote:
It's a result of years of indoctrinating our kids in the public schools. Those kids eventually grow up, and all of a sudden there are a bunch of adults that have no idea what guns are all about.
+1

public schools: forced attendance, public indoctrination, and miseducation

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
DeltaII5 wrote:
They had him on Anderson Cooper 360, when Cooper was trying to equate the rise in CCW permits with the rise in crime.
Did the bad guy have a CCW? Doubt it.
L = mi[suP]2[/suP] Liberalism = misinformation x ignorance squared !

Yata hey

<--------liberal

I have decided to take the word back from state loving bluegoons.

dkd

imported post

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20071101_Officers_Shooting_Shakes_City.html

"Cassidy had routinely checked the store because it had been robbed Sept. 18, apparently by the same man, Johnson said. Someone in the parking lot had alerted Cassidy to the robbery, he said, and the officer pulled out his gun as he approached.
"The officer was shot while opening the door," said Sandra Kim, a Dunkin' Donuts employee who said she was working the counter at the time. "It's so upsetting to me. This officer came in twice a day, every day. . . . He was always waving and smiling.""

according to this quote he was aware of what was happening inside the store and still got shot

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dkd wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20071101_Officers_Shooting_Shakes_City.html

"Cassidy had routinely checked the store because it had been robbed Sept. 18, apparently by the same man, Johnson said. Someone in the parking lot had alerted Cassidy to the robbery, he said, and the officer pulled out his gun as he approached.
"The officer was shot while opening the door," said Sandra Kim, a Dunkin' Donuts employee who said she was working the counter at the time. "It's so upsetting to me. This officer came in twice a day, every day. . . . He was always waving and smiling.""

according to this quote he was aware of what was happening inside the store and still got shot

That means he was on duty and trying to defend and protect.

Which means that posting a Officer Barbrady image, playing up the donut aspect,instantly questioning his competence, citing the Darwin principle, and suggesting a coverup are all pretty sophomoric and tasteless.

The LEO had no known bias against 2A, OC, CC or citizens with guns in general. He has a long service record, a recent BG with a gun incident, a wife and 3 kids.

And a bullet in his brain.

Some people haveno respect....

ETA: I just now checked. Officer Cassidy died anhour or so ago.

I wonderif imperialism2024 would like to modify his "Darwin strikes again, methinks." statement now?

vrquick

imported post

Last night when the showed the video of the crime it did not seem that anyone advised the officer that there was a robbery in progress. You could clearly see the officer pull in to the parking lot. He got out and went straight to the door without anyone coming up to him. Also no one in the store left once the robber entered. When the robber entered he just pushed the people in line to the side and pulled his gun on the cashier. He was not waiving it around or making a big scene, so I don't know how anyone in the parking lot would have known. The end of the clip before they cut it off showed the officer opening the door with the robbers back to him. So I don't think he knew til the robber turned to him. The officer was able to put his hand on his weapon but was shot in the head at that point. obviousley the shooting was cut but it continued after the officer was shot showing the robber picking up the officers weapon in the parking lot that must have fallen after he was shot.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I'm now Convinced. Donut shops ARE Hazardous to your health. Ask the Officer that got shot.

He was just going there for his "free" neighborhood protection "bribe".

LEO229. Next time you have to have your Gun @ ready when you go the D shop:shock:

Jersey Ron

imported post

I work in Philly and let me tell you police tension is at an all time high right now. i have to walk through city hall to get to my office and you can feel the anger in the air.

jersey

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
I'm now Convinced. Donut shops ARE Hazardous to your health. Ask the Officer that got shot.

He was just going there for his "free" neighborhood protection "bribe".
I used to work at a convenience store (gas station mini-mart). The store had just been built/opened. The first time the cops came in they didn't even ask; they simply took their free coffee & donut. I wasn't made aware of the policy, but apparently the store manager didn't have a problem with it. She said, "If it means we have cops stopping in all night I'll give them all the coffee and donuts they want."

[HankT logic]Oh, wait... stop... I forgot. We can't speak ill of the dead. His death is proof he was a perfect role model and overall good person. Didn't your mother teach you any manners?[/HankT logic]

imperialism2024

imported post

Hmpf, still very unclear what happened. Still not apologizing, still not retracting the Officer Barbrady picture.

And while it appears that Johnson likes to twist around the English language, his use of the word "assassinate" (though i'm surprised he didn't use "extremely assassinated") brings up, once again, that perhaps this was part of a coverup. Could the officer who was shot have been set up so that he could be "eliminated"?

At the height of the search, the Philadelphia School District locked down 54 nearby schools and early-education centers, and four parochial schools were also locked down. La Salle University canceled afternoon classes. In the blocks around the doughnut shop, officers looked into cars, stopping and questioning people who fit the robber's description or who had been in the area when Cassidy was shot. Residents had to show identification. Officers knocked on doors and searched manholes and trash bins, marking those that had been cleared.
Anyone else but me have this jump out at them? Or is everyone else too wrapped up in mourning this as their "personal Virginia Tech"?

Sorry, forgot that questions are not to be asked when dealing with the death of a police officer, since police officers are never involved in corruption and are never victims of police corruption.

hobobrent

imported post

It's very sad that he was shot, but blaming the gun doesn't sit right with me. Why not blame the POS robber that was commiting the crime? Why does everybody always need to pin stuff on something else? Catch the damned bad guy, put his ass in solitary for life and call it a day. If the LEO was trying to get into the shop while he was shot, then he deserved alot of respect. How many of you have ever run toward a fire fight or lunatic with a weapon? It's not easy. Show a little respect atleast, the man did die trying to protect others.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

How many of you have ever run toward a fire fight or lunatic with a weapon?
So only we veterans may opine? Does Anony Mouse have a DD214? Is the validity of our opinion proportional to rank or experience, how about those of us that ran towards enemy special weapons? They also serve, who stand and wait.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

The only thing I know about the incident is what I've read from the prior posts.

As for blame, I put that entirely on the BG who shot the cop. I seeNO evidence that said cop was behaving badly. And I would place my entire support behind an officer who is trying to stop an armed robbery in progress. He was doing his job.

As for tactics and situational awareness, I don't have enough information to make any remarks other than the police officer was surprised and paid for that with his life.

As for the police chief, well he is dancing in the blood of the victims. In this case, it was his own officer.

Millions of citizens in Philadelphia have never murdered a police officer. The police chief would now use this as an excuse to make those innocent citizens into additional victims.

If they really wanted to reduce the murder rate in the US. The war on drugs should be ended today. I guarentee if all drugs were legalized in the US today, the number of murders in 2008, would be less than half the number in 2007.

hobobrent

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
How many of you have ever run toward a fire fight or lunatic with a weapon?
So only we veterans may opine? Does Anony Mouse have a DD214? Is the validity of our opinion proportional to rank or experience, how about those of us that ran towards enemy special weapons? They also serve, who stand and wait.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$
Did I say that? I'm trying to say you shouldn't be so quick to judge if you haven't walked in somebody elses shoes. It seemed to me alot of people were bashing this guy, and I'm willing to bet most have not been in his shoes. Just my .02

imperialism2024

imported post

hobobrent wrote:
If the LEO was trying to get into the shop while he was shot, then he deserved alot of respect. How many of you have ever run toward a fire fight or lunatic with a weapon? It's not easy. Show a little respect atleast, the man did die trying to protect others.
What he did was either brave and commendable or rash and irresponsible. I don't know which one yet, but the few facts that are coming out are learning toward the latter.

Running into a dangerous situation? I would be intelligent about it. The solution isn't always to run in, balls out, guns a-blazing. One well-placed .44 Magnum head shot that results from some thought is much more useful than firing off a mag or two of rounds in the general direction of the attacker, while he fires off a mag in your general direction. Even if you subdue him and live to tell about it, there's a very high likelihood of someone else getting injured from crossfire. It's the wet dream of the anti-gun posse... wild-west style shootouts because of the crazy people with guns.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
hobobrent wrote:
If the LEO was trying to get into the shop while he was shot, then he deserved alot of respect. How many of you have ever run toward a fire fight or lunatic with a weapon? It's not easy. Show a little respect atleast, the man did die trying to protect others.
What he did was either brave and commendable or rash and irresponsible. I don't know which one yet, but the few facts that are coming out are learning toward the latter.
But you know enough to post the Barbrady pic and posit a potential "coverup?"

Fascinating.

I believe you're engaging in knee-jerk cop-bashing with precious little critical analysis. This cop never did anything to hurt OCers, CCers or gunowners. Yet you dog him still.

Tomahawk

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
At the height of the search, the Philadelphia School District locked down 54 nearby schools and early-education centers, and four parochial schools were also locked down. La Salle University canceled afternoon classes. In the blocks around the doughnut shop, officers looked into cars, stopping and questioning people who fit the robber's description or who had been in the area when Cassidy was shot. Residents had to show identification. Officers knocked on doors and searched manholes and trash bins, marking those that had been cleared.
Anyone else but me have this jump out at them? Or is everyone else too wrapped up in mourning this as their "personal Virginia Tech"?

I noticed it.

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

HankT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
hobobrent wrote:
But you know enough to post the Barbrady pic and posit a potential "coverup?"

Fascinating.

I believe you're engaging in knee-jerk cop-bashing with precious little critical analysis. This cop never did anything to hurt OCers, CCers or gunowners. Yet you dog him still.

From what I've read, I have absolutely no information about how he conducted himself as a police officer except for that one incident. So we don't know how he treated OCers, CCers or gunowners. He may have respected them or harrassed them, but I don't know.

As for that one incident, he couldn't win either way. No matter what his actions were, he was going to get criticized by people. The reality is that the vast majority of people aren't prepared for combat 24/7. My feeling is to praise his actions.

It sounds like the BG was well prepared and trained. From what it sounds like he scored a head shot with the first round in combat conditions and before the LEO was able to fire his first shot. That takes skill and training. Much more than is possessed by the average LEO. That BG needs to be given the death penalty.

As far as I'm concerned, this cop was not only doing his job, but this was one of the actual legitimate jobs that LEOs are tasked with. He was badly outclassed and paidthe ultimate price for that, and my sympathies are with his family and friends.

MetalChris

imported post

BarryKirk wrote:
It sounds like the BG was well prepared and trained. From what it sounds like he scored a head shot with the first round in combat conditions and before the LEO was able to fire his first shot. That takes skill and training. Much more than is possessed by the average LEO. That BG needs to be given the death penalty.
Meh, I think he just got lucky...people that rob donut shops aren't normally the kind of folks that know what they're doing when it comes to tactics, etc.

dkd

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote
Meh, I think he just got lucky...people that rob donut shops aren't normally the kind of folks that know what they're doing when it comes to tactics, etc.
some of the findings in this article would say otherwise

original article
http://www.policeone.com/writers/col...icles/1243754/
New findings from FBI about cop attackers & their weapons
[From Force Science News provided by The Force Science Research Center.
New findings on how offenders train with, carry and deploy the weapons they use to attack police officers have emerged in a just-published, 5-year study by the FBI.
Among other things, the data reveal that most would-be cop killers:
--show signs of being armed that officers miss;
--have more experience using deadly force in “street combat” than their intended victims;
--practice with firearms more often and shoot more accurately;
--have no hesitation whatsoever about pulling the trigger. “If you hesitate,” one told the study’s researchers, “you’re dead. You have the instinct or you don’t. If you don’t, you’re in trouble on the street….”