• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

County Supervisor says area isn't safe

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I received this today, via e-mail:

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

As the daylight hours grow shorter, it is more important to be aware of your surroundings, especially when withdrawing money from an ATM.

The Mount Vernon Government Center and South County Government Centerhave Fairfax County Federal Credit Union ATMs inside their buildings, providing a safe, well lit place to make cash withdrawals.

South County Government Center
8350 Richmond Highway
Alexandria, VA
ATM is located in the main lobby next to the security desk

Mount Vernon Government Center
2511 Parkers Lane
Alexandria, VA
ATM is located in lobby in front of the police information desk

Yours in public service,

Gerry Hyland

GH:hl

So I had to respond, with:

This truly scares me.

Can I presume you are thus willing to work against the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors' Legislative Agenda item that would further restrict carry of firearms?

Or is there some new safety procedures that say I should bank only with Fairfax County Credit Union?

Or are they willing to rebate their fees since I go there on the advice of my Supervisor because the rest of my locations aren't safe?

Please clarify.

I'll let you know what I find out.

casullshooter

imported post

I just hope you are not holding your breath waiting for a reply from a Fairfax politician about gun policy as he will have to get a group of lawyers (at Taxpayer expense) to find his answer for him.

Tomahawk

imported post

There is an ATM at my bank across Rt. 1 from McDonalds not far from where I live and although it is well lit, it is close to a hang-out for various shady characters. Across the street in earshot of the atm is an independent convenience store where, years ago, the owner was stabbed to death one night.

Not long after that, His Brilliance Jim Moran sent out a flyer telling us how Congress needed to get "tougher on guns" and how good ole' Jim was the man to do it.

I sent him a letter asking him to come to my bank and stand by that ATM at night and hang out in the breezeway of the shopping plaza where his less-literate teenage constituents hang out, and tell me I have no right to bear arms.

I can't remember if I got a reply, if so it was the usual form letter BS.

And people wonder why Northern VA is the heart of defense-rights activism.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SNIP although it is well lit, it is close to a hang-out for various shady characters.
I understand a Crimson Trace laser-grip is wonderful for bringing the light of understanding to those with darkness in their heart. Only when the proper conditions come together to justify it, of course. Don't want to waste enlightenment onmere shadows of evil past.

:)