• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

African lion loose @ Cold Knob Mt?

IanB

imported post

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/10939086.html

If an African lion is roaming the mountains of southeastern West Virginia, Angus Peyton wants it captured, not killed.

Peyton is offering a $3,000 award for the safe and humane capture of the lion.

He also wants the animal to be placed in refuge.

The Charleston broker says he fears someone may try to shoot the lion.

Bow hunter Jim Shortridge swears he saw a male African lion weighing between 250 and 300 pounds at the foot of Cold Knob Mountain earlier this month.

Rainelle-based Tiger Mountain Refuge and Greenbrier County animal control officer Robert McClung have placed motion-sensitive video cameras in that area in hopes of getting an image of the lion.

TrueBrit

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/10939086.html

If an African lion is roaming the mountains of southeastern West Virginia, Angus Peyton wants it captured, not killed.

Peyton is offering a $3,000 award for the safe and humane capture of the lion.

He also wants the animal to be placed in refuge.

The Charleston broker says he fears someone may try to shoot the lion.

Bow hunter Jim Shortridge swears he saw a male African lion weighing between 250 and 300 pounds at the foot of Cold Knob Mountain earlier this month.

Rainelle-based Tiger Mountain Refuge and Greenbrier County animal control officer Robert McClung have placed motion-sensitive video cameras in that area in hopes of getting an image of the lion.

Yeah, the boys in Pike County,Eastern KY are sighting in their heavy rifles as we speak, should this cat be unwise enough to cross the Tug River...;)

TrueBrit.

casullshooter

imported post

Maybe HankT can catch it with his slinshot.......
wink.gif

molonlabetn

imported post

It wouldn't surprise me if they found this cat's decapitated, skinned carcass in a month or so... $3,000 isn't enough to capture that thing, when the hide and head can be sold for much more than that.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I'll bet the boys are going nuts down there. It's not too often there's an open season on lions in North America.

TrueBrit

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if they found this cat's decapitated, skinned carcass in a month or so... $3,000 isn't enough to capture that thing, when the hide and head can be sold for much more than that.

Sure,I also would imagine that, in these circumstances, the critter would be worth much more dead than alive! Market forces, and all that jazz.

Maybe I need to put a few sighting shots through the old Lee-Enfield.303, just in case.... 16 gauge double barrelled howdah pistol as my BUG, naturally!:lol:

TrueBrit.

Tomahawk

imported post

It's probably not worth anything dead, but I'm not sure what the rules are for something like that. I would imagine that if you shoot an animal like that you'd better be able to make the case for self-defense or defense of others, and the game warden will probably thank you for your time and take the carcass. If you keep any part of it you may be considered a poacher of some sort. Anyone here know what the rules are for this?

Of course, catchingan African Lionlive doesn't exactly sound like a day in the park! House cats can be pretty nasty when they don't want you to touch them, now imagine a house cat big enough to fill a pickup bed, with teeth as big around as your thumb and an attitude to match. It's bigger than you, faster, stronger than you, it has a roar that can rattle window panes, and it climbs trees, so don't bother running. You'll only die tired.

TrueBrit

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
It's probably not worth anything dead, but I'm not sure what the rules are for something like that. I would imagine that if you shoot an animal like that you'd better be able to make the case for self-defense or defense of others, and the game warden will probably thank you for your time and take the carcass. If you keep any part of it you may be considered a poacher of some sort. Anyone here know what the rules are for this?

Of course, catchingan African Lionlive doesn't exactly sound like a day in the park! House cats can be pretty nasty when they don't want you to touch them, now imagine a house cat big enough to fill a pickup bed, with teeth as big around as your thumb and an attitude to match. It's bigger than you, faster, stronger than you, it has a roar that can rattle window panes, and it climbs trees, so don't bother running. You'll only die tired.

Good points, but I seriously doubt whether the Pike County boys know or care overmuch about any rules or regulations pertaining to defunct lions!

Absolutely right about catching the critter alive, hard to do, which is why the cat will likely be shot, skinned, cured, and moved on discreetly, IMHO!

These old boys do not have that wild streak, inherited from their Scots-Irish moonshiner ancestors, for nothing! Were not the Hatfields and McCoys from this neck of the woods?;)Same goes for the W. VA boys across the river!

BTW, check your PMs when you have a moment.

TrueBrit.

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Greenbriar Co. is a pretty good ways from Mingo Co, WV or Pike Co, KY. ( good 2.5 hours or so)

Anywho, TrueBrit, I agree, if the thing really exist, it has maybe a 10% chance of surviving the upcomming deer season.;)

TrueBrit

imported post

Agent6-3/8 wrote:
Greenbriar Co. is a pretty good ways from Mingo Co, WV or Pike Co, KY. ( good 2.5 hours or so)

Anywho, TrueBrit, I agree, if the thing really exist, it has maybe a 10% chance of surviving the upcomming deer season.;)

Sure thing, Agent, the cat is a fair ways off as yet, but from what little I know about them, they are capable of a fair amount of travel. As you so rightly opine, whichever way he heads,I think his goose is cooked......;)

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.

Mini14

imported post

I've got a WASR10 on layaway, wannq go pick it early and start lion season?:cool: Thirty rounds of 7.62x39mm sp vs. a lion will work, poacher take Rhinos with AKs.

Marco

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
It's probably not worth anything dead,

monetarily probably not much but the stories,
priceless

I agree he probably won't survive Deer season.
(note to self, deer rifle this yr .338 win magor larger)

Anyone trying to bag a trophy probably won't be calling the GW to dispose of the carcass
but ifthey got lucky they would undoubtedly have a new rug in the living/family room

anyone want to check out my new rug, i also have some exotic jerky for you to try:what:

JUST KIDDING

I'd use a spear like our ancestors:p

EDIT:
if he isn't bagged yet.

Anyone want to go hiking in the WV mountains?
i'll loan you my rifle if you don'thave one.
I'll be carrying my Ruger single six;)