Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: National Ammo Day: November 19th 2007

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    This is always been interesting to me. Best version of it was a couple of years ago when the effort was to get as many people as possible to go to Walmart and buy their ammo at 4pm with a copy of Red Dawn.

    http://www.theothersideofkim.com/ind.../single/11142/

    That Time Of Year Kim du Toit
    October 31, 2007
    6:14 AM
    ...when thou may’st in stores behold,
    When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
    Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
    Bare empty shelves, where late the ammo was stock’d:

    In them thou see’st the twilight of such day
    As after sunset fadeth in the west,
    Which black-cloth’d JBTs would take away,
    Our ammo, that seals up all in cans:

    In my gun thou see’st the glowing of such fire,
    That on the benches of the range doth lie
    As my ammo locker whereon the ammo must be stor’d,
    Consumed with that which it was nourish’d by:

    —This thou perceiv’st, which makes gun love more strong,
    To love that well which thou must shoot ere long.*

    (*With apologies to William Shakespeare.)
    National Ammo Day: November 19th 2007
    National Ammo Day/Week: November 17 - 25, 2007
    At least 100 rounds of centerfire ammo, or at least 500 rounds of rimfire.
    You can celebrate diversity:

    ...or buy lots of the same stuff:


    ...or just mix it all up:


    That’s what makes National Ammo Day so… well, so American: you get to make all the choices.



  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Thank you for the reminder. I'm disappointed that the National Ammo Buy-cott didn't reach further into the demotic consciousness.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Montpelier, VT, ,
    Posts
    52

    Post imported post

    Hey, that's my birthday!

  4. #4
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    longwatch wrote:
    This is always been interesting to me. Best version of it was a couple of years ago when the effort was to get as many people as possible to go to Walmart and buy their ammo at 4pm with a copy of Red Dawn.
    I hope the emergency7-day waiver of Wal-Mart boycotts by gun guysgot voted through... :P

    Anyway, although I look fondly upon the idea of National Ammo Day/Week: November 17 - 25, 2007, it seems to be a little tepid. And somewhat ineffective. I mean, it doesn't increase demand for ammo or anything.

    Hmm, how about a NationalShootingDay/Week: November 17 - 25, 2007 ?

    Now, that would be a grand idea---actually goingout and using our guns inconcentrated fashion during that day/week....

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Why those dates? It seems that the 5th of November is more appropriate. Since I just got my shiny new reloading kit, maybe I'll buy a bunch of gunpowder that day...

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    And my new Enfield .308 will be here next weekend!:celebrate (I hope...:P) I should go lay in a stock of ammo now, and maybe some .45 for the 1911 to follow. Hmmm. Is it a bad thing to buy ammo before you actually have a gun? Or is it just incentive....

  7. #7
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    PavePusher wrote:
    Hmmm. Is it a bad thing to buy ammo before you actually have a gun? Or is it just incentive....
    As long as you keep it under 1000 rounds, it's classified as prudent preparedness...

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Fauquier Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,297

    Post imported post

    http://www.ammoday.com/index.php/faqs/
    Why November 19?
    Why November 19?
    There is really no particular reason November 19 was chosen. It did not conflict with any other holiday or event on the U.S. calendar.
    We found, however, that people preferred to buy their ammo at gun shows or over weekends, which is why National Ammo Day is now National Ammo Day/Week.
    However, we would me remiss if we did not mention that November 19 is the birthday of Kim du Toit (the creator of National Ammo Day). Kim couldn’t think of a nicer way to celebrate his birthday than it helping send a signal about how the value of the Second Amendment and our ammunition manufacturing industry. And, if we make our target of 5 BILLION rounds sold, his birthday wish will come true.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    As long as you keep it under 1000 rounds, it's classified as prudent preparedness...
    'Classified' by whom? And if >1000 it is classified differently? Is there some limitation on ammo possession of which I am not aware? I am of the impression that 1000 rounds of each caliber of weapon used is the prudent minimum.


    Or is Judge HankT's Court of Public Opinion now in session? The Court of Public Opinion is where the lowest standard of guilt and proof prevails, where you may be required to prove your innocence and guilt is presumed.

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP *******



  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,766

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    'Classified' by whom? And if >1000 it is classified differently? Is there some limitation on ammo possession of which I am not aware? I am of the impression that 1000 rounds of each caliber of weapon used is the prudent minimum.
    Let's see. We each have two .45s. Even if we only put 200 rounds through each on range day, that's 800 rounds. And that's just the .45s. And that's just range use. Gotta have carry ammo too.

    Not to mention the other calibers.


    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    As long as you keep it under 1000 rounds, it's classified as prudent preparedness...
    'Classified' by whom? And if >1000 it is classified differently? Is there some limitation on ammo possession of which I am not aware? I am of the impression that 1000 rounds of each caliber of weapon used is the prudent minimum.
    I think this may be that rarest of things: HankT was just joking without trying to get under anyone's skin for once, and 1000 seemed like a good number.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Yeah, you're probably right and there are cute little smilies all over his post - unfortunately I will not see them.

    He is a veritable fountain of web sites to block (images from). Like his most recent contribution to my AdBlock file - an image from http://writingjunkie.net/ of an ostrich. Who in the heck would be surfing Writing Junkie and WTF is Nordette Adams?

    Grrr! So little time, so much to read.

  13. #13
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    He is a veritable fountain of web sites to block (images from). Like his most recent contribution to my AdBlock file - an image from http://writingjunkie.net/ of an ostrich. Who in the heck would be surfing Writing Junkie and WTF is Nordette Adams?

    Grrr! So little time, so much to read.



    Some things, reading cannot help....Doug, you need to, um, get out more....


  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    Doug, you need to, um, get out more....
    Really? I'm just a month home from 830 miles in 27 days by 'bicycle' around Lake Michigan. Can't get much more 'out' than a tricycle and a tent for a month.

    If and when I get the semi-pro (not me) video production up-loaded then I'll post a link just for you. I'm picking up the hard copy tomorrow - 250 miles away 'out' there.

    I'm working on an European trip for next year after Bike Florida and some sort of a private tour of Wisconsin.

    I don't hide my brilliance under a bushel, it won't be held. I use my name and a small set of dot.sigs, with some of which you are familiar.

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP *******

  15. #15
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Yeah, you're probably right and there are cute little smilies all over his post - unfortunately I will not see them.

    He is a veritable fountain of web sites to block (images from). Like his most recent contribution to my AdBlock file - an image from http://writingjunkie.net/ of an ostrich. Who in the heck would be surfing Writing Junkie and WTF is Nordette Adams?

    There, Doug. Up ahead. To the right....just a little...







    :P


  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    134

    Post imported post

    I have to agree with Doug on this one. Your posts are frequently annoying, Hank. All joking aside, your posts suggest that you are quite full of yourself.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    So... would I be alone in trying to start a movement for buying gunpowder on November 5th?

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    PavePusher wrote:
    Hmmm. Is it a bad thing to buy ammo before you actually have a gun? Or is it just incentive....
    As long as you keep it under 1000 rounds, it's classified as prudent preparedness...
    Well Hank, I got the joke:P. Although I would personally class 1000 rounds as a weeks training ammo...per caliber. Off to the gun show tomorrow, maybe even get a shotgun or a Noisy Maggy. Hmmmm...

  19. #19
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    PavePusher wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    PavePusher wrote:
    Hmmm. Is it a bad thing to buy ammo before you actually have a gun? Or is it just incentive....
    As long as you keep it under 1000 rounds, it's classified as prudent preparedness...
    Well Hank, I got the joke:P.
    Anyone (almost) should have gotten the joke. It's especially funny when one takes into account that you (and I) were talking about a gun that was not owned yet.

    Having 1000 rounds for a gun you do own is not unusual at all. That's not funny.

    But having 700 or 800 rounds for a gun you don't even own yet is ... undisguised premeditation. (Hmmm, I've got about 500 rounds of 9mm but I don't have a 9mm gun--yet.) :P

    Good luck at the show tomorrow.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , Oregon, USA
    Posts
    269

    Post imported post

    So... would I be alone in trying to start a movement for buying gunpowder on November 5th?

    Depends, whats the age limit on powder? I'd assume it's 18, since its used for rifles and shotguns too, but it never hurts to be sure. Although I'm not sure where I'd keep it...damn dorm rules (I'm pretty sure gunpowder would fall under their 'dangerous ordinance' prohibition). Although I do have a neat felt hat with a feather I could wear...if I hadn't left it at home...darn

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Heartless_Conservative wrote:
    So... would I be alone in trying to start a movement for buying gunpowder on November 5th?

    Depends, whats the age limit on powder? I'd assume it's 18, since its used for rifles and shotguns too, but it never hurts to be sure. Although I'm not sure where I'd keep it...damn dorm rules (I'm pretty sure gunpowder would fall under their 'dangerous ordinance' prohibition). Although I do have a neat felt hat with a feather I could wear...if I hadn't left it at home...darn
    Hmm... maybe the question to ask is: If I hide it, will they find it?

    Amazing the things I was able to squirrel away in my dorm room... I found many creative uses for duct tape.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Well, hding some contraband is merely against the rules, but improperly storing gunpowder is hazardous. Think, than decide.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    Well, hding some contraband is merely against the rules, but improperly storing gunpowder is hazardous. Think, than decide.
    That is a good point that I think I took for granted didn't need mentioning. But with people getting shot in the leg by dogs these days... you never know.

  24. #24
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Heartless_Conservative wrote:
    So... would I be alone in trying to start a movement for buying gunpowder on November 5th?

    Depends, whats the age limit on powder? I'd assume it's 18, since its used for rifles and shotguns too, but it never hurts to be sure. Although I'm not sure where I'd keep it...damn dorm rules (I'm pretty sure gunpowder would fall under their 'dangerous ordinance' prohibition). Although I do have a neat felt hat with a feather I could wear...if I hadn't left it at home...darn
    What would be the point of buying gunpowder during Ammo Week/Day and then storing it in your dorm room?

    That doesn't make any sense. It's lacking any rational thought.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    What would be the point of buying gunpowder during Ammo Week/Day and then storing it in your dorm room?

    That doesn't make any sense. It's lacking any rational thought.
    Why? Because he can. Need there be a better reason?

    <3 Freedom <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •