• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Ammo Day: November 19th 2007

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

This is always been interesting to me. Best version of it was a couple of years ago when the effort was to get as many people as possible to go to Walmart and buy their ammo at 4pm with a copy of Red Dawn.

http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/tos/single/11142/

That Time Of Year Kim du Toit
October 31, 2007
6:14 AM
...when thou may’st in stores behold,
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare empty shelves, where late the ammo was stock’d:

In them thou see’st the twilight of such day
As after sunset fadeth in the west,
Which black-cloth’d JBTs would take away,
Our ammo, that seals up all in cans:

In my gun thou see’st the glowing of such fire,
That on the benches of the range doth lie
As my ammo locker whereon the ammo must be stor’d,
Consumed with that which it was nourish’d by:

—This thou perceiv’st, which makes gun love more strong,
To love that well which thou must shoot ere long.*

(*With apologies to William Shakespeare.)
National Ammo Day: November 19th 2007
National Ammo Day/Week: November 17 - 25, 2007
At least 100 rounds of centerfire ammo, or at least 500 rounds of rimfire.
You can celebrate diversity:
CCI-Rem_22_various.jpg

...or buy lots of the same stuff:
Hirtenberg_Swede_M41ammo.jpg

NADsemifinal.jpg

...or just mix it all up:
AmmoDay2003.jpg

NADfinal.jpg

That’s what makes National Ammo Day so… well, so American: you get to make all the choices.
NAD2.jpg

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
This is always been interesting to me. Best version of it was a couple of years ago when the effort was to get as many people as possible to go to Walmart and buy their ammo at 4pm with a copy of Red Dawn.

I hope the emergency7-day waiver of Wal-Mart boycotts by gun guysgot voted through... :p

Anyway, although I look fondly upon the idea of National Ammo Day/Week: November 17 - 25, 2007, it seems to be a little tepid. And somewhat ineffective. I mean, it doesn't increase demand for ammo or anything.

Hmm, how about a NationalShootingDay/Week: November 17 - 25, 2007 ?

Now, that would be a grand idea---actually goingout and using our guns inconcentrated fashion during that day/week....

PavePusher

imported post

And my new Enfield .308 will be here next weekend!:celebrate (I hope...:p) I should go lay in a stock of ammo now, and maybe some .45 for the 1911 to follow. Hmmm. Is it a bad thing to buy ammo before you actually have a gun? Or is it just incentive....

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Hmmm. Is it a bad thing to buy ammo before you actually have a gun? Or is it just incentive....
As long as you keep it under 1000 rounds, it's classified as prudent preparedness...

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

http://www.ammoday.com/index.php/faqs/
Why November 19?
Q.jpg
Why November 19?
A.jpg
There is really no particular reason November 19 was chosen. It did not conflict with any other holiday or event on the U.S. calendar.
We found, however, that people preferred to buy their ammo at gun shows or over weekends, which is why National Ammo Day is now National Ammo Day/Week.
However, we would me remiss if we did not mention that November 19 is the birthday of Kim du Toit (the creator of National Ammo Day). Kim couldn’t think of a nicer way to celebrate his birthday than it helping send a signal about how the value of the Second Amendment and our ammunition manufacturing industry. And, if we make our target of 5 BILLION rounds sold, his birthday wish will come true.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

HankT wrote:
As long as you keep it under 1000 rounds, it's classified as prudent preparedness...

'Classified' by whom? And if >1000 it is classified differently? Is there some limitation on ammo possession of which I am not aware? I am of the impression that 1000 rounds of each caliber of weapon used is the prudent minimum.

Or is Judge HankT's Court of Public Opinion now in session? The Court of Public Opinion is where the lowest standard of guilt and proof prevails, where you may be required to prove your innocence and guilt is presumed.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
'Classified' by whom? And if >1000 it is classified differently? Is there some limitation on ammo possession of which I am not aware? I am of the impression that 1000 rounds of each caliber of weapon used is the prudent minimum.

Let's see. We each have two .45s. Even if we only put 200 rounds through each on range day, that's 800 rounds. And that's just the .45s. And that's just range use. Gotta have carry ammo too.

Not to mention the other calibers.

Tomahawk

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
HankT wrote:

I think this may be that rarest of things: HankT was just joking without trying to get under anyone's skin for once, and 1000 seemed like a good number.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Yeah, you're probably right and there are cute little smilies all over his post - unfortunately I will not see them.

He is a veritable fountain of web sites to block (images from). Like his most recent contribution to my AdBlock file - an image from http://writingjunkie.net/ of an ostrich. Who in the heck would be surfing Writing Junkie and WTF is Nordette Adams?

Grrr! So little time, so much to read.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
He is a veritable fountain of web sites to block (images from). Like his most recent contribution to my AdBlock file - an image from [url]http://writingjunkie.net/[/url] of an ostrich. Who in the heck would be surfing Writing Junkie and WTF is Nordette Adams?

Grrr! So little time, so much to read.

resserver.php

Some things, reading cannot help....Doug, you need to, um, get out more....:monkey

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Doug, you need to, um, get out more....
Really? I'm just a month home from 830 miles in 27 days by 'bicycle' around Lake Michigan. Can't get much more 'out' than a tricycle and a tent for a month.

If and when I get the semi-pro (not me) video production up-loaded then I'll post a link just for you. I'm picking up the hard copy tomorrow - 250 miles away 'out' there.

I'm working on an European trip for next year after Bike Florida and some sort of a private tour of Wisconsin.

I don't hide my brilliance under a bushel, it won't be held. I use my name and a small set of dot.sigs, with some of which you are familiar.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Yeah, you're probably right and there are cute little smilies all over his post - unfortunately I will not see them.

He is a veritable fountain of web sites to block (images from). Like his most recent contribution to my AdBlock file - an image from http://writingjunkie.net/ of an ostrich. Who in the heck would be surfing Writing Junkie and WTF is Nordette Adams?

There, Doug. Up ahead. To the right....just a little...

gmin54l.jpg

:p

Particle

imported post

I have to agree with Doug on this one. Your posts are frequently annoying, Hank. All joking aside, your posts suggest that you are quite full of yourself.

PavePusher

imported post

HankT wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
Hmmm. Is it a bad thing to buy ammo before you actually have a gun? Or is it just incentive....
Well Hank, I got the joke:p. Although I would personally class 1000 rounds as a weeks training ammo...per caliber:D. Off to the gun show tomorrow, maybe even get a shotgun or a Noisy Maggy. Hmmmm...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
HankT wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
Well Hank, I got the joke:p.
Anyone (almost) should have gotten the joke. It's especially funny when one takes into account that you (and I) were talking about a gun that was not owned yet.

Having 1000 rounds for a gun you do own is not unusual at all. That's not funny.

But having 700 or 800 rounds for a gun you don't even own yet is ... undisguised premeditation. (Hmmm, I've got about 500 rounds of 9mm but I don't have a 9mm gun--yet.) :p

Good luck at the show tomorrow.

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

So... would I be alone in trying to start a movement for buying gunpowder on November 5th?

Depends, whats the age limit on powder? I'd assume it's 18, since its used for rifles and shotguns too, but it never hurts to be sure. Although I'm not sure where I'd keep it...damn dorm rules (I'm pretty sure gunpowder would fall under their 'dangerous ordinance' prohibition). Although I do have a neat felt hat with a feather I could wear...if I hadn't left it at home...darn :(