• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Manhunt for Ofc. Charles Cassidy Killer--Out of or in control?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Cop killer has a spider tattoo on his hand: Unfortunately, many people in the area have spider tattoos on their hands. (It’s a prison tat.) Police mistakenly apprehended one suspect twice yesterday because of the hand art, but he was released. Officials are saying they’re using “broad power” to capture Officer Charles Cassidy’s murderer. [Philly.com]

http://www.phillymag.com/blogs/philly/2007/11/02/the-830-report-what-phillys-talking-about-8/

The "broad power" concept seemed interesting ......but.....the link to Philly.com seems broken.

A search for "broad power" Philadelphia onGoogle News nets :

Police employ broad power in manhunt
[size=-1]Philadelphia Inquirer,PA- 8 hours ago[/size]
[size=-1]As an intense manhunt continues for the killer of Philadelphia Police Office Chuck Cassidy, a former top lawyer in the District Attorney's Office said ...[/size]

...with a broken link.

There isn't much new news coming out in the online press about the "Charles Cassidy" murder case. I did see a few references on some of the Oct 31 and Nov 1 articles to an extensive manhunt with SWAT, helicopters, and all manner of LE resources. There was a little grumbling reported--but not much. One report said that black men in the areas being searched were not being allowed to wear hoodies. One video report I say showed LE kicking in a door to some place.

I'm concerned and curious about what is happening in Philladelphia (aka Killadelphia) right now. I get the sense from various stories that the PPD is on atear to find the murderer and is so focused on the manhunt that they just might be playing fast and loose with the rights of people in their path.

Anyone know what "broad power" means? Anyone know what is going on down on the ground in Philadelphia? Someone posted here yesterday about the feeling of anger they felt in City Hall.

Are the PPD guys under control? Or are they going wild commando? Or something in between?

One thing for sure is thatPhilly would not be asafe place for an OCer today. That is, of course, if it had the laws that Virginia has, where OC isperfectly legal. That raisesan interesting question: If this incident had happened in Alexandria...Hampton...Richmond....Va Beach....would OCbecome instantly prohibited on a defacto basis?

Legba

imported post

I know what "broad power" means - it means the 4th amendment (and 5th, 8th, and maybe 6th) are all out the window till they get the answers they want.

-ljp

dkd

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Well, we all know that when someone kills a cop, it's lots more serious than someone killing a mere citizen, or any number of them.

-- John D.
so true and sad at the same time, which leaves the question why havent they been up in arms and putting forth such effort, when philadelphia's murder count has reached 336

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Well, we all know that when someone kills a cop, it's lots more serious than someone killing a mere citizen, or any number of them.
-- John D.

I was thinking along the same lines. Why isn't there a hue-and-cry and manhunt when an ordinary citizen is killed?

If they can muster this sort of activity level for the shooting of a police officer, they can certainly do better with the crime they otherwise have.

What a bunch of elitists.

imperialism2024

imported post

Citizen wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
-- John D.

I was thinking along the same lines. Why isn't there a hue-and-cry and manhunt when an ordinary citizen is killed?

If they can muster this sort of activity level for the shooting of a police officer, they can certainly do better with the crime they otherwise have.

Because "law" enforcement agencies can only grossly violate Americans' rights so much before the sh**ple start to notice. If they ransacked, raped, and pillaged the neighborhood every time a murder is committed, they would soon lose this ability altogether. They need to be selective... But that's the conspiracy theorist in me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Citizen,

"Why isn't there a hue-and-cry and manhunt when an ordinary citizen is killed?"

There used to be such...back in the way-old-days of America.

Today, we have the "new and improved" America.

-- John D.

+1 Very good point. What was that Country & Western song a few years ago? Had a line in it about "Whisky for my men and beer for my horses."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
-- John D.

Because "law" enforcement agencies can only grossly violate Americans' rights so much before the sh**ple start to notice. If they ransacked, raped, and pillaged the neighborhood every time a murder is committed, they would soon lose this ability altogether. They need to be selective... But that's the conspiracy theorist in me.

How does this fit into your conspiracy theory?

Posted on Fri, Nov. 2, 2007

A very difficult day for those who fit killer's description
A N. Phila. man with a spider tattoo and a limp was picked up and released - twice.
By Susan Snyder

Inquirer Staff Writer

Any black man with a spider tattoo on his left hand was fair game yesterday.
Just ask David Watson, 34, of North Philadelphia.

The somewhat bulky African American has such a tattoo on his left hand - thus fitting the general description of the gunman who fatally shot Officer Chuck Cassidy at a West Oak Lane Dunkin' Donuts on Wednesday.

Watson said he was still in bed shortly after 9 a.m. when police rushed in with guns drawn. There were about 10 officers, he said, and they took him to Police Headquarters for questioning.

"I guess some people came and looked at me or whatever, and they let me go," he said.

They released him in the afternoon, he said - but that wasn't the end of his troubles. A short time later, as he sat at Broad and Vine Streets waiting to catch a bus home, cops descended on him again, with guns drawn. Several police cars converged on him. He was let go after they determined that he had already been cleared. It took 20 to 30 minutes, he said.

"They're doing their job, but, man, it's crazy out here," Watson said. "People dying right and left out here."

Watson's mother, Ann, said the experience was traumatic. Police rang the doorbell, and when she opened it, guns were pointed at her.
"I backed up. I said, 'What did I do?' " she said.

Police told her that someone had tipped them off that her son had a "bum leg." He has nerve damage, she explained. Surveillance video of Cassidy's shooting shows that the shooter had a lumbering gait.
Police were not apologetic about the mix-ups.
"Guess what? Too bad," said Police Sgt. Ray Evers. "If you fit that description, you're going to get stopped."

Evers said police are using a database to identify people who have been in custody previously and who have tattoos that fit the description of Cassidy's assailant. Officers are checking them out.
Evers declined to say how many people had been picked up for questioning or how Watson came to their attention.
Asked what cleared Watson, Evers said: "Homicide had a good enough reason to release him."

Can police legally pick up people who have spider tattoos and who match the general description of the murderer?
Absolutely, says George Parry, a Center City lawyer in private practice who once led the District Attorney's Police Violence Unit.

"The police would be justified in detaining him and having him submit to a lineup or some other identification procedure," Parry said.
Watson remains fond of his spider tattoos: a tarantula tattoo on his left hand, a black widow on his arm, and a third spider on his neck.
He said he planned to head home and stay there: "I ain't coming outside."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/world_us/20071102_A_very_difficult_day_for_those_who_fit_killers_description.html

imperialism2024

imported post

HankT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
-- John D.

It doesn't. Unfortunately, my theory is not entirely disproven by one example to the contrary. HankT, today I drove to the bank, deposited a check, and drove back home, and I wasn't assaulted by police. Apparently that disproves my theory as well...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
HankT wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
-- John D.

It doesn't. Unfortunately, my theory is not entirely disproven by one example to the contrary.

Aww, you can make it fit. Be inventive.

Bring the MMMers into it or something...or Schwarzenegger.....c'mon, THINK! :uhoh:

Tomahawk

imported post

Sgt_Everswrote:
Police were not apologetic about the mix-ups.
"Guess what? Too bad," said Police Sgt. Ray Evers. "If you fit that description, you're going to get stopped."

Although it's hard to fault them in this case, since they are going after people who fit the description, that pretty much sums up the attitude of police whenever they go overboard, doesn't it? Especially Philly, if anyone here remembers the Frank Rizzo days.

And pointing guns at old ladies seems to be the in thing these days.

Thundar

imported post

I hope they catch the cop killer, I really do.

The response of the Philadelphia Police is predictable and wrong. The ends never justify the means. If police are trained that the rules can be changed because of X then why can't they change the rules because of Y?

I really do believe that a professional, well respected police force will be more effective than one that violates people's rights.

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Given these stories, it is a given that somebody will be arrested, prosecuted, convicted, and executed for the murder of Ofc.Charles Cassidy.

What remains as the big question is whether that person will be be the actual murderer.

And yes, it is disheartening that some people are apparently more equal than others.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Thundar wrote:
I hope they catch the cop killer, I really do.

The response of the Philadelphia Police is predictable and wrong. The ends never justify the means. If police are trained that the rules can be changed because of X then why can't they change the rules because of Y?

I really do believe that a professional, well respected police force will be more effective than one that violates people's rights.

The problem is that a PD in a situation like this becomes instantly ideological--they have a cause and they know it is more important than anything else or anybody else. And since they have physical power, they can exert it. They will rationalize, instantaneously and completely any action they wish to take.

Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power [situational and temporary] corrupts absolutely.

Ordinarily, there is political power that trumps physical polce power in our society. But the politicians simply can't stand up to the power source of the police incases like this. Might makes right....

I think that Philly PD has advanced beyond the old Frank Rizzo days--but not all that much.

bourneshooter

imported post

The thing that comes to mind when reading this, is the movie "Shooter." If this isn't an example of what would happen on a worse scale.

I work with a guy who is HISPANIC/Mexican by race, but an American citizen. He has told me that he's had alot of assumptions made by LEO just because he was hispanic - never mind that he is earning an honest living. :banghead:

He is a cool guy since he isn't afraid to make jokes about that stuff, and is open to talking to us white people about it. Which does help let me know what its like to be treated like that.

PRAYERS OUT FOR THE CITIZENS of Philly who watched their rights go out the window.

EXTRA PRAYERS OUT FOR THOSE WHOSE RIGHTS WERE VIOLATED.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Maybe they got him.

lewis_arrest_071106_ms.jpg

Suspect in Philly Cop Killing Caught
Police: Suspect in Philadelphia Officer's Killing Apprehended in Florida
The Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA

November 6, 2007

A suspect in the slaying of a police officer during a doughnut shop robbery was apprehended early Tuesday at a homeless shelter in Florida, police said.

Investigators had extended their search to Florida after reports that John Lewis, 21, had boarded a bus for Miami during the weekend.

Officer Chuck Cassidy, 54, died Thursday, a day after a gunman shot him in the head when Cassidy interrupted an armed robbery at a Dunkin' Donuts.

He was the third Philadelphia police officer shot in four days. The other two officers survived.

Witnesses have said a gunman entered the doughnut shop and demanded money just before the policeman opened the door. The man spun around and shot Cassidy before the officer could react, they said.

Portions of a videotape released by police showed a hooded robber grabbing the fallen officer's pistol as he fled.

Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson has said one of two weapons officers recovered Monday at a Philadelphia home may be the weapon used to kill Cassidy.

Lewis was arrested in 2005 on drug charges and placed in a treatment program that he completed in February. The drug charges and a 2006 attempted theft charge were then withdrawn. In June, he was again arrested on drug charges; that case is pending.

A private viewing for Cassidy was scheduled Tuesday, with a public viewing and funeral service scheduled downtown on Wednesday.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=3825464