• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tacoma Mall shooter gets 163 years in prison. Told 911 dispatchers to "follow the screams&quot

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

TACOMA — Dominick S. Maldonado, the gunman who told 911 dispatchers to "follow the screams" before wounding seven in a 2005 Tacoma Mall shooting rampage, was sentenced to more than 163 years in prison Friday.
Maldonado, 22, was convicted Oct. 2 of 15 crimes, including attempted murder, assault and kidnapping.
Sixty-one years were imposed as a special sentence for gun crimes. That portion can't be reduced for good behavior, and Maldonado must serve it before the rest of his prison term can begin.
Superior Court Judge Linda Lee handed down the sentence after a hearing that featured statements from Maldonado and two of his victims.
Roberta Davis, who was shot in the leg, told Maldonado that he "shed innocent blood that day," The News Tribune of Tacoma reported.
"You shed my blood," Davis said. "You spilled my blood but you didn't touch my spirit. No man can."
Maldonado said he'd been treated unfairly by the justice system, but he also said he owed victims and others at the mall that day an apology.
"I do take full responsibility," Maldonado said.
The shooting erupted at the mall just days before Thanksgiving in 2005.
Four people were taken hostage during the melee, which lasted for several hours. The most seriously wounded victim was left partially paralyzed.
During the trial, Maldonado's defense argued he was in the throes of a mental disorder and shouldn't have been held responsible for the assault.
Prosecutors, however, said Maldonado planned the attack for weeks, and they pointed to evidence that he called 911 just before the shooting and told a dispatcher to "follow the screams."
Deputy Pierce County Prosecutor Phil Sorensen argued for a prison term at the high end of sentencing guidelines. After the hearing, Sorensen said he was "glad that the community has this one behind it."
Defense attorney Keith MacFie asked Lee to depart from the standard range, saying no one was killed in the shooting.
"It is a death sentence. He is going to die in prison," MacFie said.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

What's your opinion of the verdict and sentence, Doug? Do you like the outcome? Dislike it? Do you blame the NRA?

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Sixty-one years were imposed as a special sentence for gun crimes.
Do you blame the NRA?
Did the NRA promote Project Exile, yes or no? The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Exile
The National Rifle Association (NRA) and the Brady Campaign were both early and vocal supporters of Project Exile, as were federal and city officials who claimed that Project Exile helped to reduce firearm-related violence in Richmond by 40 percent. The NRA lobbied the U.S. Congress to help secure $2.3 million for emulation of Exile in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Camden County, New Jersey where similar firearms-related violence has plagued the communities.
Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

Legba

imported post

Sounds like this case was tried by the state, so Exile doesn't strictly apply.

-ljp

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Exile
Project Exile was a controversial federal program started in Richmond, Virginia in 1997. Project Exile shifted the prosecution of illegal technical gun possession offenses to federal court, where they carried a mandatory minimum sentence of five years in federal prison under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, rather than in state court.
Unless you want to impeach the source...

I must go take my nap now, and read The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved: How Mathematical Genius Discovered the Language Symmetry by Mario Livio

imperialism2024

imported post

Here's my plan [this is sarcasm, HankT]:

Make carry permits available shall-issue in Washington to all people 18 and older. Give a date a few weeks in the future, well after all permits can be processed. Then release the shooter into public.

That should get people to seriously think about arming themselves... :shock: