Thread: NBC 12 to do special report on self defense

Post imported post

If I heard correctly, on Nov. 5th at 5:00 p.m. and again at 11:00 p.m. NBC channel 12 is suppose to do an "in depth" report on the use of firearms for self defense. I think it's called To shoot or not to shoot or something like that.

Has anyone else heard about this???

Post imported post

Can anyone record this?

Post imported post

If you can confirm I can tivo and convert to mpg.

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote: Thank you for finding the ad, wasn't sure if I was hearing things.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Adding to my "to watch" list - hope its honest and objective but I'm not going to hold my breath. Hope burns eternal though.

Thanks Doc and NSL.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Ok roger, I will tivo it convert to mpeg.

Post imported post

I have Direct TV getting local channels is sporadic at best. Just checked and not getting 12 Sorry, if there anything you need off other channels I can get it.

Post imported post

i'll record on my dvr. not sure how to get to mpeg, but i'll definitely give it a shot.

Post imported post

This is what is on channels 12's web site. Missed the airing of the 5:00 pm showing. After the intro it goes to the clips with a poll for each one.

http://bimedia.ftp.clickability.com/...ion/pm-mon.htm

Post imported post

sitedzn wrote:
    i'll record on my dvr. not sure how to get to mpeg, but i'll definitely give it a shot.
    If you have a standalone tivo, you can download the home networking app for free. Pull the video files off the tivo, I think they have a .tivo extension then use an app like video redo to convert them to mpg. PM me for more info.

Post imported post

I only got to see the first 2 scenarios. Seemed to me they were set-ups because of the way they were edited.

Scenario #1 was stopped as the BG began reaching behind his back. The question "Would you shoot or not shoot?" was asked at that point. After the commercial break they come back & show (from a reverse angle) the BG pulling a handgun from SOB, and then (from homeowner's angle) pointing gun. Talking head lawyer Steve Benjamin says "imminent threat of death or great bodily injury" and the implication was it would be a good shoot. Sure, with no other witnesses, the BG ending up with his own gun on the floor nearby as he lies shot, and a good lawyer to remind you to ****, you might get away with it.

My point is - at the time they stopped the film, there was no imminent threat - just a BG reaching behind his back. For his business card? For the flowers he brought for your daughter? For his gun? Who knows yet?

Scenario #2 showed the same BG grabbing a purse and beating feet out the door before the homeowner could get into the entry hallway. Homeowner hits the door as the BG is halfway across the lawn with the purse. Clearly a "no-shoot" situation and explained as such.

Getting back to scenario #1 - BG was confronted by homeowner who had gun in hand. The split second needed to see what the BG brings from behind his back PROBABLY would not result in homeowner getting shot by BG - at least as I saw things. YMMV.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Scenarios 2 is definitely a no-shoot situation. Strangely enough, when I viewed it and voted, the score was practically 50-50. It's currently 43.8% shoot to 56.2% don't. The shoot percentage seems crazily high.

Scenario 1 is a no-shoot at the point the video stops. There are too many unknowns. As presented, you have a good bead on the intruder and tactical advantage.
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    Scenarios 2 is definitely a no-shoot situation. Strangely enough, when I viewed it and voted, the score was practically 50-50. It's currently 43.8% shoot to 56.2% don't. The shoot percentage seems crazily high.

Scenario 1 is a no-shoot at the point the video stops. There are too many unknowns. As presented, you have a good bead on the intruder and tactical advantage.
    I think it's a reflection that a lot of people don't think we should have to letcriminals walk (run) away with our hard-earned property just because we had no reason to believe we were in imminent danger. I firmly believe that ANY criminal should have to risk death to take my wallet, my DVD player, my artwork. I am pretty sure it would make a real job look much more attractive... Unfortunately, this is not the law in many places yet.

Post imported post

I'd really like to watch this. Did anyone post it online?

Post imported post

smccomas wrote:
    sitedzn wrote:
    If you have a standalone tivo, you can download the home networking app for free. Pull the video files off the tivo, I think they have a .tivo extension then use an app like video redo to convert them to mpg. PM me for more info.
    not a tivo, comcast dvr. it does have a "copy to vcr" option. i'll look into it either tonight or tomorrow (spent yesterday in the woods:celebrateand couldn't get to it). i'll update after i look at it when i get home from work.