• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NBC 12 to do special report on self defense

SFDoc

imported post

If I heard correctly, on Nov. 5th at 5:00 p.m. and again at 11:00 p.m. NBC channel 12 is suppose to do an "in depth" report on the use of firearms for self defense. I think it's called To shoot or not to shoot or something like that.

Has anyone else heard about this???

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Adding to my "to watch" list - hope its honest and objective but I'm not going to hold my breath. Hope burns eternal though.

Thanks Doc and NSL.

Yata hey

smccomas

imported post

I have Direct TV getting local channels is sporadic at best. Just checked and not getting 12 Sorry, if there anything you need off other channels I can get it.

sitedzn

imported post

i'll record on my dvr. not sure how to get to mpeg, but i'll definitely give it a shot.

smccomas

imported post

sitedzn wrote:
i'll record on my dvr. not sure how to get to mpeg, but i'll definitely give it a shot.
If you have a standalone tivo, you can download the home networking app for free. Pull the video files off the tivo, I think they have a .tivo extension then use an app like video redo to convert them to mpg. PM me for more info.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I only got to see the first 2 scenarios. Seemed to me they were set-ups because of the way they were edited.

Scenario #1 was stopped as the BG began reaching behind his back. The question "Would you shoot or not shoot?" was asked at that point. After the commercial break they come back & show (from a reverse angle) the BG pulling a handgun from SOB, and then (from homeowner's angle) pointing gun. Talking head lawyer Steve Benjamin says "imminent threat of death or great bodily injury" and the implication was it would be a good shoot. Sure, with no other witnesses, the BG ending up with his own gun on the floor nearby as he lies shot, and a good lawyer to remind you to STFU, you might get away with it.

My point is - at the time they stopped the film, there was no imminent threat - just a BG reaching behind his back. For his business card? For the flowers he brought for your daughter? For his gun? Who knows yet?

Scenario #2 showed the same BG grabbing a purse and beating feet out the door before the homeowner could get into the entry hallway. Homeowner hits the door as the BG is halfway across the lawn with the purse. Clearly a "no-shoot" situation and explained as such.

Getting back to scenario #1 - BG was confronted by homeowner who had gun in hand. The split second needed to see what the BG brings from behind his back PROBABLY would not result in homeowner getting shot by BG - at least as I saw things. YMMV.

stay safe.

skidmark

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Scenarios 2 is definitely a no-shoot situation. Strangely enough, when I viewed it and voted, the score was practically 50-50. It's currently 43.8% shoot to 56.2% don't. The shoot percentage seems crazily high.

Scenario 1 is a no-shoot at the point the video stops. There are too many unknowns. As presented, you have a good bead on the intruder and tactical advantage.

PavePusher

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Scenarios 2 is definitely a no-shoot situation. Strangely enough, when I viewed it and voted, the score was practically 50-50. It's currently 43.8% shoot to 56.2% don't. The shoot percentage seems crazily high.

Scenario 1 is a no-shoot at the point the video stops. There are too many unknowns. As presented, you have a good bead on the intruder and tactical advantage.
I think it's a reflection that a lot of people don't think we should have to letcriminals walk (run) away with our hard-earned property just because we had no reason to believe we were in imminent danger. I firmly believe that ANY criminal should have to risk death to take my wallet, my DVD player, my artwork. I am pretty sure it would make a real job look much more attractive... Unfortunately, this is not the law in many places yet.:cry:

sitedzn

imported post

smccomas wrote:
sitedzn wrote:
If you have a standalone tivo, you can download the home networking app for free. Pull the video files off the tivo, I think they have a .tivo extension then use an app like video redo to convert them to mpg. PM me for more info.
not a tivo, comcast dvr. it does have a "copy to vcr" option. i'll look into it either tonight or tomorrow (spent yesterday in the woods:celebrateand couldn't get to it). i'll update after i look at it when i get home from work.