• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Camera

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hmmm, this is technology with some nice possibilities.
scratchchin.gif

Interesting for bothfor LEO applications and for regular ole law-abiding-citizen use.

Maybe, some distant day in the future, we'll all be carrying Sigs and GLOCKs and Smiths with one of these (more miniaturized) cameras on board. Same as many of us now do with laser sighting systems.

Hell, the Government and the NRA will probably have to get together and Compromise to mandate one of these on all civilian guns!:shock: (Note to Huffman: Keep tabs on this one. Follow-up.)

Actually, I don't know why anyone would have to mandate them, though. If and when the time comes that a reliable, accurate, usable and affordablegun camera would ever be available to the general public--I would buy one in one minute and install it on my carry gun.

It would make a fabulous 2A-rights protection tool.

Gun Camera

GUN_CAMERAS.jpg

When an officer pulls his gun from the holster, the digital recording begins.

With a l.5 ounce camera about the size of a lipstick placed below the barrel of the gun, it can record sound and every object or movement the weapon points at.

Orange County's sheriff's emergency service team and the Newburgh Police Department will be the first to test the pistol cam and they may be the first in the country to have an extra eye looking over every officers decision.

Chief Eric Paolilli says "if the technology is there to be used and it's an effective tool and we examine it and there's no safety issues and there's no issues with our guns there's no issues that come to light during this pilot time, it's one more tool that we can use."

This new police technology comes to Newburgh just a year shy of the anniversary of the police shootout here on Broadway that resulted in the death of 23-year-old Antonio Bryant.

The gunfight put a strain on the communities relationship with police.

Mayor Nick Valentine, who is up for re-election a week from Tuesday, believes this new surveillance could help reunite both sides.

The city of Newburgh police department participates in their own union. The president of their PBA was shown the pistol cam for the time time tonight.

He says he's reluctant to believe his officers will support this new technology.

The state has alloted $35,000 dollars for a testing period in Newburgh over the next few months. If successful, every Newburgh officer will have the pistol camera are part of their equipment.

http://www.wrex.com/News/index.php?ID=22973

Check out the link for the video report. It's cool.

nauss

imported post

Guess seeing your son/husband shot in court, through the eyes of the gun, will be pleasant.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Ghettokracker71 wrote:
Can you FOIA the footage on those,too? Like sayyyyyyy LEOs using those on lawful citizens OCing?
Sure. I don't see why not. If the technology is good enough, we should force the LEOs to have them on their duty guns.

kparker wrote:
With a l.5 ounce camera about the size of a lipstick

Uhh, does this caption really go with that picture? I've never seen a tube of lipstick that big (or at least not outside the hippo botique.)
Hey! Hippos need love too...

237336BGif_w.jpg

imperialism2024

imported post

To post in a more serious tone... I don't think that these cameras would do much good on "L"EOs' guns for the purpose of deterring illegal "L"EO activity, as it would be far too easy to block the view of the camera and, perhaps, the microphone. As it stands now, the good LEOs won't need to have a camera on their gun (and will just get crucified anyway in the event of an officer-involved shooting), and the bad "L"EOs will just find a way to tamper with it.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
To post in a more serious tone... I don't think that these cameras would do much good on "L"EOs' guns for the purpose of deterring illegal "L"EO activity, as it would be far too easy to block the view of the camera and, perhaps, the microphone. As it stands now, the good LEOs won't need to have a camera on their gun (and will just get crucified anyway in the event of an officer-involved shooting), and the bad "L"EOs will just find a way to tamper with it.
"system failure":banghead: