• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ignorance regarding Open Carry

protector84

imported post

One time a couple of years ago when I was open carryinga knife, some girl in her twenties confronted me about it.

"Why do you have that knife?"

"For protection."

"You would be willing to stab someone with that thing?"
"If my life or someone else's required it, yes."

"I don't understand how a nice guy like you would want to take another person's life."

"I never said that I wanted to but that the situation may require it. How else would you handle criminals threatening someone's life or your own?"

"I don't believe in killing. They should be rehabilitated."

"Ok. I see what you mean. Give your rapist a hug."

Another time I was open carrying a knife ina Starbucks, a customer in line in front of me who appearedquite stoned, says:

"Whoa, dude. I don't know if you were like aware of this um but you like um have a knife on your hip."

"Thanks for pointing that out. I have no idea how it got there."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

protector84 wrote: My comments in blue - Grapeshot
....... I rested my hand on the gun with the fingers of my hand resting over the side of the gun while the palm of my hand was actually on the grip. In Virginia this would be described as brandishing! For my safety, I have to ensure that no crazy person will try to grab it away or if there is a situation that I can quickly draw it if needed. I would suggest a good retention holster like a Serpa. Some might see this as paranoia but if there weren't so damn many nuts out there, we wouldn't need guns in the first place. Really...I'd still want one though.
I carry 24/7 while awake (OC mostly) and have had very few problems over the years - a few minor ones that I generally report as humourous and one or two that could have gone south in a minute but did not.

I hope that those of you that are CCing (in states that require a permit) without a permit get one unless you care to right the wrong imposed on us all by footing the bill for a Constitutional challange re the 2nd Amendment. I would only appreciate it if you won.
Yata hey

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Well, if you're in jail because of it, what else are you going to do productively with your time...write another version of Mein Kampf perhaps, or, you can decide to sue like any other prisoner can...and the state pays for it. One of those rights criminals have that we don't...

So instead of suing because you're served creamy peanut butter instead of crunchy, or suing becauseyou don't get HBO on the dayroom TV, or suing cause they canceled your Playboy subscription, you can sue the state for illegally selling/renting you your unalienable right of self-defense via the illegal permit system.

So unlike the other suits brought by the POS trash in the prison system, this one wouldn't be frivolous.

-- John D.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Well, if you're in jail because of it, you can sue like any other prisoner can...and the state pays for it. One of those rights criminals have that we don't...

So instead of suing because you're served creamy peanut butter instead of crunchy, or suing becauseyou don't get HBO on the dayroom TV, or sbeuing cause they canceled your Playboy subscription, you can sue the state for illegally selling/renting you your unalienable right of self-defense via the illegal permit system.

So unlike the other suits brought by the POS trash in the prison system, this one wouldn't be frivolous.

-- John D.
Are you volunteering?
Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I think I'll defer to you...you clearly seem to be 100% USDA Prime Cannon Fodder.

-- John D.
My remark regarding "volunteering" was offered in jest/sarcasim. People always want someone else to do their dirty work. Suggesting that if an individual who knowingly broke the law, went to prison and lost their Second Amendment rights could then sue "free" is somewhat ludicrous and naive. As there are plenty of souls in our systems that would qualify, why do you not spend time and/or money to champion their case? I will not belabor this off thread point further.

Your churlish, personal retort is uncalled for and not appreciated here. We pull together or we pull apart.

Yata hey

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

That was your fault how your post was taken. Use emoticons next time...appreciate that.

As for "championing" any cause, if it comes my way I will, but right now, I'm just preparing tocheck out (die) since I'm not well.

Thanks anyway,

-- John D.

compmanio365

imported post

protector84 wrote:
One time a couple of years ago when I was open carryinga knife, some girl in her twenties confronted me about it.

"Why do you have that knife?"

"For protection."

"You would be willing to stab someone with that thing?"
"If my life or someone else's required it, yes."

"I don't understand how a nice guy like you would want to take another person's life."

"I never said that I wanted to but that the situation may require it. How else would you handle criminals threatening someone's life or your own?"

"I don't believe in killing. They should be rehabilitated."

"Ok. I see what you mean. Give your rapist a hug."

Another time I was open carrying a knife ina Starbucks, a customer in line in front of me who appearedquite stoned, says:

"Whoa, dude. I don't know if you were like aware of this um but you like um have a knife on your hip."

Haha.....thanks for a good laugh. I'll have to remember those next time I get asked why I have a gun.

Thundar

imported post

LKB3rd wrote:
This is an excellent point to highlight, ... BUT. They have more guns than we do(if the SWAT team comes lol), and courts who will back them up. It's discouraging.
Do you really think that the SWAT Team has more guns or do you think that they just have a greater propensity for violence than the citizens?

SWAT teams use paramilitary tactics and surprise, not superior firepower.

AbNo

imported post

protector84 wrote:
Another time I was open carrying a knife in a Starbucks, a customer in line in front of me who appeared quite stoned, says:

:shock: :lol:

Wow. If I could stand pretenious, over-priced coffee, I might consider going to Starbuck's, just for that alone.