Thread: 1911's

Post imported post

I've heard that 1911 parts are easy to come by...and that they're easy to repair. This can be a big plus if someone is a survivalist or just doesn't like having your info transmitted to the BATF whenever you get work done at a gunsmith.

So, is it true that you can get parts easily for 1911's and is this equally true for all the different types of 1911's floating around out there?

What about Glocks?

Post imported post

There are probably a dozen or so companies out there making 1911's (of greatly varing quality)and there are plenty of parts available. However, nearly every part on a 1911 requires careful hand fitting.(think good gunsmith)They are notsomething you simply stick parts together with like you can an AR.

As for Glocks, yes, there are aftermerket parts available, but I can't give you much detail as I'm not a "Glock guy."

State Researcher

Post imported post

Agent6-3/8 wrote:
    There are probably a dozen or so companies out there making 1911's (of greatly varing quality)and there are plenty of parts available. However, nearly every part on a 1911 requires careful hand fitting.(think good gunsmith)They are notsomething you simply stick parts together with like you can an AR.

As for Glocks, yes, there are aftermerket parts available, but I can't give you much detail as I'm not a "Glock guy."
    I have to partially disagree with that....if you stick to ALL "mil-spec" parts, a 1911 is no harder to build than an AR and does not require a gunsmith.
    If, however, you would like to add any "bells and whistles" or do any accurizing you will have some hand fitting to do.....the amount depending on exactly what you want to do.
    I have done several over the years with nothing more than assembly and polishing the feed ramp.
    The same thing applies to AR's as well....sure, you can buy a "kit gun" and have little to no trouble in assembling a functional rifle....on the other hand, if you buy parts from several different vendors to build a "purpose built" AR, you can and often do run into situations where hand fitting is not only needed but required.

Post imported post

Well, IANAGS (gunsmith), but I know someone that has an OLD surplus 1911.

I pulled the mag from it when he was showing it off, and put it in my RIA 1911, and it clicked perfectly into place.

Didn't get a chance to really try it out, though.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

www.1911forum.com

Where i get all the info I need.

1ITP (one in the pipe)