Thread: Just bought a Kimber Custom II

Post imported post

I just picked this up recently. Set me back $700, but I gotta say, it was worth every cent! I got a set of Pachmayr American Legend walnut/rubber grips for it: looks great, feels awesome!

Shoots like a dream, too; it just points so naturally in my hand, and putting the rounds right on target feels like it takes no effort at all. I tried out a lot of different guns while trying to decide on my next pistol, and I generally found the recoil from a full-size 1911 to be much more pleasant and manageable than the kick of most 9mm polymer pistols. This is definitely my new carry pistol.

Here are the obligatory pictures:

Yup, just wanted to share!

Post imported post

Nice looking gun. Congrats.

I kind of like those grips, too.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I've been eyeing the Eclipse Pro II pretty hard myself. Just can't afford one yet. Congrats on the new piece!

Post imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
    I've been eyeing the Eclipse Pro II pretty hard myself. Just can't afford one yet. Congrats on the new piece!
    Yeah, if I had a bit more money to toss around, I would have gone for one of Kimber's Eclipses as well. Very, very nice guns, not to mention breathtaking in appearance!

Still, I can't complain about the Custom II; it's as solid and accurate a pistol as I could have hoped, and it looks great, too - nothing more stylish for OC than a 1911, IMHO. I've already OC'd around Seattle a few times with this one. I've had a few comments on it, mostly positive, although one guy did come up to me and ask, "Hey, Is that a Glock?"

Post imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
    vmathis12019 wrote:
    Yeah, if I had a bit more money to toss around, I would have gone for one of Kimber's Eclipses as well. Very, very nice guns, not to mention breathtaking in appearance!

Still, I can't complain about the Custom II; it's as solid and accurate a pistol as I could have hoped, and it looks great, too - nothing more stylish for OC than a 1911, IMHO. I've already OC'd around Seattle a few times with this one. I've had a few comments on it, mostly positive, although one guy did come up to me and ask, "Hey, Is that a Glock?"
    'Cause you got those silly rubber grips... :P Seriously, they look very comfortable. Did they come with the gun, or did you get them on the side?

Edit: O.K., just re-read the third sentance, duh... where did you get the grips?

Post imported post

PavePusher wrote:
    'Cause you got those silly rubber grips... :P Seriously, they look very comfortable. Did they come with the gun, or did you get them on the side?

Edit: O.K., just re-read the third sentance, duh... where did you get the grips?
    Got 'em on eBay; a seller called "Lippman Enterprises" sells them for about $30 each. I really like them; they fit and guide my hand very naturally (and comfortably), and the walnut wood is a great accent to any 1911.

As for the crisis of identity... I dunno, I've never yet seen walnut grips on a Glock. Anybody care to change this?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Man... only $700? *DROOL*

Here, I'm thinking, get the slide and barrel ported, extended mag release, magwell, trigger job, recoil compensator and red dot optics and you're in business. ;p

I *so* want a 1911.