• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just bought a Kimber Custom II

Stealth Potato

imported post

I just picked this up recently. Set me back $700, but I gotta say, it was worth every cent! I got a set of Pachmayr American Legend walnut/rubber grips for it: looks great, feels awesome!

Shoots like a dream, too; it just points so naturally in my hand, and putting the rounds right on target feels like it takes no effort at all. I tried out a lot of different guns while trying to decide on my next pistol, and I generally found the recoil from a full-size 1911 to be much more pleasant and manageable than the kick of most 9mm polymer pistols. This is definitely my new carry pistol. :cool:

Here are the obligatory pictures:

kimber_001.jpg

kimber_002_med.jpg

Yup, just wanted to share! :)

Stealth Potato

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
I've been eyeing the Eclipse Pro II pretty hard myself. Just can't afford one yet. Congrats on the new piece!
Yeah, if I had a bit more money to toss around, I would have gone for one of Kimber's Eclipses as well. Very, very nice guns, not to mention breathtaking in appearance!

Still, I can't complain about the Custom II; it's as solid and accurate a pistol as I could have hoped, and it looks great, too - nothing more stylish for OC than a 1911, IMHO.:cool: I've already OC'd around Seattle a few times with this one. I've had a few comments on it, mostly positive, although one guy did come up to me and ask, "Hey, Is that a Glock?" :cuss:

PavePusher

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:
I've been eyeing the Eclipse Pro II pretty hard myself. Just can't afford one yet. Congrats on the new piece!
Yeah, if I had a bit more money to toss around, I would have gone for one of Kimber's Eclipses as well. Very, very nice guns, not to mention breathtaking in appearance!

Still, I can't complain about the Custom II; it's as solid and accurate a pistol as I could have hoped, and it looks great, too - nothing more stylish for OC than a 1911, IMHO.:cool: I've already OC'd around Seattle a few times with this one. I've had a few comments on it, mostly positive, although one guy did come up to me and ask, "Hey, Is that a Glock?" :cuss:

'Cause you got those silly rubber grips... :p Seriously, they look very comfortable. Did they come with the gun, or did you get them on the side?

Edit: O.K., just re-read the third sentance, duh... where did you get the grips?

Stealth Potato

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
'Cause you got those silly rubber grips... :p Seriously, they look very comfortable. Did they come with the gun, or did you get them on the side?

Edit: O.K., just re-read the third sentance, duh... where did you get the grips?
Got 'em on eBay; a seller called "Lippman Enterprises" sells them for about $30 each. I really like them; they fit and guide my hand very naturally (and comfortably), and the walnut wood is a great accent to any 1911. :)

As for the crisis of identity... I dunno, I've never yet seen walnut grips on a Glock. Anybody care to change this? :lol:

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Man... only $700? *DROOL*

Here, I'm thinking, get the slide and barrel ported, extended mag release, magwell, trigger job, recoil compensator and red dot optics and you're in business. ;p

I *so* want a 1911.