• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Intelligence Report" section of Parade Magazine

imperialism2024

imported post

Why Criminals Are Still Getting Guns
Even though crime is on the decline across the U.S., gun violence is actually on the rise. How do guns continue to end up in the hands of criminals? A small group of sellers is responsible: 57% of the guns used in crimes come from 1% of all dealers. Too often, they fail to run background checks or sell large numbers of weapons to traffickers who then resell them on the street. Due to weak laws and lack of enforcement, it can take an average of 11 years for authorities to order one shop to quit selling firearms. From 2003 to 2005, law-enforcement agencies reportedly traced an astonishing 1,424 guns used in crimes back to Trader Sports of California. The store had been investigated since the 1970s, but only last year was it forced to leave the firearms business. Progress is occurring, however. Under Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the City of New York has sued 27 dealers in five states for engaging in illegal sales; so far, 14 of them have settled and agreed to stricter monitoring of gun sales and to tough penalties.

By Lyric Wallwork Winik, David Wallechinsky and Daryl Chen
Published: November 4, 2007

http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2007/edition_11-04-2007/Intelligence_Report#crime

Read this with breakfast and quickly lost my appetite. Thoughts?

Thundar

imported post

"Intelligence Report"

What irony!

Intelligence report - no, just another bit of irresponsibleeditorial dribble hiding as responsible journalism.

My sympathy to any current or former Military Intelligence Officers who feel maligned by the title of this section of Parade.

imperialism2024

imported post

I guess it would have been too much to ask for the "reporters" to explore the cause-effect relationship of a high number of guns being sold by a few dealers. Is it that criminals from around the country close in on a few shops where these is a decreased likelihood that they'll end up in prison when attepting to buy a gun as a felon? Or is it instead that these are guns shops located in areas where there is a lot of criminal activity, and the gun shop owners refuse to arbitrarily discriminate in gun sales by only selling to people that they feel with responsibly use a gun? As for straw purchases, a buyer states on the 4473 that he is buying the gun for himself. If he, in fact, falsifies that form and is making a straw puchase, how is that the responsibility of the gun dealer? Should dealers be expected to administer erroneous polygraph tests to all gun purchasers? Oh wait, no, the Democrat (note I didn't say "liberal") argument would be that dealers should just stop selling Weapons of Death.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

After researching some other works these guys have published, I think they do a lot of re-spouting of press releases.

Can you spell B-L-O-O-M-B-E-R-G?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In the early 90's Slick Willy and his wife decided health care needed to be "restructured" (read socialized). The White House and its DNC minions began to declare a "health care crisis" despite the fact that numerous polls from the preceding 10 years showed fairly steady levels of satisfaction/dissatisfaction. Within a few months the media echo chamber had people believing we were on the verge of collapse, and in the middle of this, Parade came out with a big article entitled THE GROWING CRISIS IN HEALTHCARE (2/28/93). This helped Ms. Rodham launch her Hillarycare debacle. Bottom line: Parade is little more than a propaganda wing of the DNC.

imperialism2024

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
In the early 90's Slick Willy and his wife decided health care needed to be "restructured" (read socialized). The White House and its DNC minions began to declare a "health care crisis" despite the fact that numerous polls from the preceding 10 years showed fairly steady levels of satisfaction/dissatisfaction. Within a few months the media echo chamber had people believing we were on the verge of collapse, and in the middle of this, Parade came out with a big article entitled THE GROWING CRISIS IN HEALTHCARE (2/28/93). This helped Ms. Rodham launch her Hillarycare debacle. Bottom line: Parade is little more than a propaganda wing of the DNC.
That unfortunately finds its way into our Sunday newspapers.