Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm taking a break from the boards

State Researcher

Post imported post

The 'new sheriff in town' is a little trigger happy with deleting/locking threads. I'm sick of it; I just don't enjoy coming here anymore.

My initial reaction is to not come back. Instead, I'm just going to take a break - maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks. Hopefully by then the power trip will be over and I'll be able to enjoy the forums again.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    The 'new sheriff in town' is a little trigger happy with deleting/locking threads. I'm sick of it; I just don't enjoy coming here anymore.

My initial reaction is to not come back. Instead, I'm just going to take a break - maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks. Hopefully by then the power trip will be over and I'll be able to enjoy the forums again.
    I have come to the same conclusion.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Sorry you all feel that way. Bye.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Do you think they have reason to feel that way, longwatch?

Or do you think they are wrong in some way?

They indicated how they felt and, more importantly, why they felt that way. The why is a criticism of your recent actions.

Why don't you consider replying to their criticism instead of being so casual about it? Or do you not think you have to defend yourself against their critique?

Post imported post

I accept their critique as it is, but they don't say how much moderation is acceptable.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    longwatch wrote:

They indicated how they felt and, more importantly, why they felt that way. The why is a criticism of your recent actions.*

Why don't you consider replying to their criticism instead of being so casual about it?* Or do you not think you have to defend yourself against their critique?
    For a man who won't answer questions you seem to ask a lot of 'em.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    longwatch wrote:

They indicated how they felt and, more importantly, why they felt that way. The why is a criticism of your recent actions.

Why don't you consider replying to their criticism instead of being so casual about it? Or do you not think you have to defend yourself against their critique?

How's the update going for your OC stop in the Alexandria B&N, un? You promised "lot's later" regarding what happened. It was, what, over 3 months ago?

EDIT: HOLA HANKIE! -BOBCAV

ETA: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3671-6.html

Post imported post

HankT, you should start your own forum somewhere. I bet it'd be a hoot. You'd have a whole pack of users to experiment on and torment endlessly and no moderator to stop you. I'd visit it once in a while just for fun.

For all your annoying tendencies, you really are an interesting character. You seem to be a master at manipulating stress levels and being provocative. Despite the fact that many of us repeatedly swear to ignore you, you keep us coming back for more. Like an evil genius. Hat's off to you. I'm curious to see what you're about and what makes you tick.

Post imported post

As a naturally curious person, I'm wondering which threads were locked/deleted that were examples of overzealous moderatoin?

I only tend to stay in the GD, N&PA, and PA forums, but so far, the only thread I've seen unjustly victimized by heavy-handed moderation is the "How far does the Second Amendment go? (Does it cover dirty bombs?)" one, which oddly enough we have never gotten a response as to how it violated any forum rules.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    unrequited wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    longwatch wrote:

They indicated how they felt and, more importantly, why they felt that way. The why is a criticism of your recent actions.*

Why don't you consider replying to their criticism instead of being so casual about it?* Or do you not think you have to defend yourself against their critique?
    How's the update going for your OC stop in the Alexandria B&N, un? You promised "lot's later" regarding what happened. It was, what, over 3 months ago?

Yup. Keep waiting, or, come to the next VCDL meeting or NoVA meetup and I'll tell you all about it in person face to face. Most of the NoVA/some-MD people already know from asking me personally, I just don't want to write it up here until it's settled.
    -Unrequited

Post imported post

HankT wrote:

I think I have an answer for you Aslan:

HankT wrote:
    Good points. People ask the darndest things. Even when they are not entitled to the answers. Even when they simply want to use the answer to attempt some rhetorical categorizationor other, based on exclusion usually.

Most of the time, they don't realize they do it.

Post imported post

I have to agree with imperialism2024, I'm also curious as to what was locked/deleted and what the reason was. I would hope that you could take up issues with a mod by PM, and at least get some sort of logical reply as to why the situation was handled that way. The forum has rules so that one can know what is or is not acceptable to post.

Obviously the mod could point to rule 5, but I would hope that they would give at least some kind of explanation in a PM.

Post imported post

A Truism: Any forum that attempts to promote reasonable and intelligent discussion of firearms and firearms rights will inevitably have closet anarchists and anti-government tinfoil hat wearing psychos attempting to compel everyone towards their paranoid viewpoint.

It’s all a conspiracy, the ‘man’ isn’t going to let you speak. We’ve heard it all before.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    A Truism: Any forum that attempts to promote reasonable and intelligent discussion of firearms and firearms rights will inevitably have closet anarchists and anti-government tinfoil hat wearing psychos attempting to compel everyone towards their paranoid viewpoint.

It’s all a conspiracy, the ‘man’ isn’t going to let you speak. We’ve heard it all before.
    Hey tinfoil hats are all the rage in Olympia these days. They are even color coordinated now. In fact at least one of our city council members seems to be a member of the tinfoil hat crowd.

Don't knock the shiny metal hats 'till you've tried 'em! Whoops, mine just slipped.... I like Dick Cheney.... Halliburton is God's Personal Emissary on Earth.... mmm.... donuts.... arrraaagggaahhhh.........

I haven't seen any unduly locked threads where I hang out...

Steve

Post imported post

Fellers, before we all get too torn up over the moderation here, whether it is over-zealous or not,maybe consider this;

OCDO is not a democracy, it is the personal fiefdom of Messrs. Pierce and Stollenwerk. They act as moderators themselves,and have seen fit to appoint member moderators to assist them. Their game, their rules.

For my own part, I have seen nothing that approaches "heavy-handed"moderation, and, truth to tell, have skated by myself with some questionable, "non-PC"stuff!

Longwatch seems to like to run a slightly tighter ship than the other mods choose to do, but I believe that he has every right to do so, and this encourages us to stay on topic, I think, and helps to prevent the unseemly flamewars that occasionally erupt.

Just my opinion, probably worth what you paid me for it!

TrueBrit.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:

Well, dammit. That's disappointing.

It's not like we have an abundance of participating members here in California. The State of California provides enough disincentive in the excersize of our rights, so there is no needforthe added detraction ofclashes between personalities and forum authorities.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

I diagnose to much on line time and proscribetwo chill pills, a session at the range and see ya all back here in a few days. Happy carrying!

Now, everyone all together...take a deep breath...smell the fresh salt air...enjoy the beautiful clouds...hoist the sails and enjoy the smooth sailing...team work and perseverance:

Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:

Ah, so we anarchists are behind it, then?

:celebrate

I forgot, the Second Amendment really implies the Right to Hunt. There's no reasonable way to read that as a check on overzealous government...

State Researcher

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote
    Ah, so we anarchists are behind it, then?

:celebrate

I forgot, the Second Amendment really implies the Right to Hunt. There's no reasonable way to read that as a check on overzealous government...
    mmm... anarchists..... mmmm.... government good.... armed citizens bad.... DANG!!! There goes the shiny metal hat again!!!

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

les_aker wrote:
    I have come to the same conclusion.
    Mee too... AND it is almost always the same two goofs that get the threads locked by baiting with their scewed logic (or should we say lack of).

Rather than locking threads maybe the trouble making anti-OC and pro police abuse posters should be warned/banned?

Just a suggestion.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I'm glad to see Longwatch changed his mind about the BMWAG arrest thread; it looks like the thread is back up.

Funny, I thought I started this thread in the CA section... my intent was to let the local guys know where I would be disappearing to. Either I mistakenly made the post here or it was moved; doesn't matter either way I guess, as it looks like the CA guys found it.

Pa. Patriot wrote:
    ...it is almost always the same two goofs that get the threads locked by baiting with their scewed logic (or should we say lack of).

Rather than locking threads maybe the trouble making anti-OC and pro police abuse posters should be warned/banned?

Just a suggestion.
    I would prefer not to have that much cencorship... However, if someone is genuinely off-topic or flaming, I agree that the more logical form of cencorship is to snuff out those individuals (rather than making entire threads disappear).
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    I would prefer not to have that much cencorship... However, if someone is genuinely off-topic or flaming, I agree that the more logical form of cencorship is to snuff out those individuals (rather than making entire threads disappear).

What bugs me is when threads or posts or people just disappear with no clue why. A simple explanation as to why such action was taken would likely remove that annoyance.

It does seem curious that in the several years I have been following this forum, it would seem there has been as much moderation in the last few weeks as in the previous few years.

Post imported post

I do not want to delete posts unless its some truly outrageous stuff, I don't like censorship either. Locking a thread seems to work best at stopping folks from yelling at each other without removing what they had to say. Seems if I do it temporarily, tempers go down and we all can get get back to a rational discussion.

Post imported post

I think being a mod is somewhat similar to being a LEO: no matter what you do, someone is always going to be upset with you.

Post imported post

I can live with it somewhat, I figure I have good people spot checking me, and my position can always be removed by Mike and John so I can't go to power crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast