• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm taking a break from the boards

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

The 'new sheriff in town' is a little trigger happy with deleting/locking threads. I'm sick of it; I just don't enjoy coming here anymore.

My initial reaction is to not come back. Instead, I'm just going to take a break - maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks. Hopefully by then the power trip will be over and I'll be able to enjoy the forums again.

les_aker

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
The 'new sheriff in town' is a little trigger happy with deleting/locking threads. I'm sick of it; I just don't enjoy coming here anymore.

My initial reaction is to not come back. Instead, I'm just going to take a break - maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks. Hopefully by then the power trip will be over and I'll be able to enjoy the forums again.

I have come to the same conclusion.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Sorry you all feel that way. Bye.

Do you think they have reason to feel that way, longwatch?

Or do you think they are wrong in some way?

They indicated how they felt and, more importantly, why they felt that way. The why is a criticism of your recent actions.

Why don't you consider replying to their criticism instead of being so casual about it? Or do you not think you have to defend yourself against their critique?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I accept their critique as it is, but they don't say how much moderation is acceptable.

unrequited

imported post

HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

They indicated how they felt and, more importantly, why they felt that way. The why is a criticism of your recent actions. 

Why don't you consider replying to their criticism instead of being so casual about it?  Or do you not think you have to defend yourself against their critique?
For a man who won't answer questions you seem to ask a lot of 'em.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

Why don't you consider replying to their criticism instead of being so casual about it? Or do you not think you have to defend yourself against their critique?

How's the update going for your OC stop in the Alexandria B&N, un? You promised "lot's later" regarding what happened. It was, what, over 3 months ago?

EDIT: HOLA HANKIE! :cool:-BOBCAV

ETA: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3671-6.html

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT, you should start your own forum somewhere. I bet it'd be a hoot. You'd have a whole pack of users to experiment on and torment endlessly and no moderator to stop you. I'd visit it once in a while just for fun.

For all your annoying tendencies, you really are an interesting character. You seem to be a master at manipulating stress levels and being provocative. Despite the fact that many of us repeatedly swear to ignore you, you keep us coming back for more. Like an evil genius. Hat's off to you. I'm curious to see what you're about and what makes you tick.

imperialism2024

imported post

As a naturally curious person, I'm wondering which threads were locked/deleted that were examples of overzealous moderatoin?

I only tend to stay in the GD, N&PA, and PA forums, but so far, the only thread I've seen unjustly victimized by heavy-handed moderation is the "How far does the Second Amendment go? (Does it cover dirty bombs?)" one, which oddly enough we have never gotten a response as to how it violated any forum rules.

unrequited

imported post

HankT wrote:
unrequited wrote:
HankT wrote:
longwatch wrote:

Why don't you consider replying to their criticism instead of being so casual about it?  Or do you not think you have to defend yourself against their critique?

How's the update going for your OC stop in the Alexandria B&N, un? You promised "lot's later" regarding what happened. It was, what, over 3 months ago?

Yup. Keep waiting, or, come to the next VCDL meeting or NoVA meetup and I'll tell you all about it in person face to face. Most of the NoVA/some-MD people already know from asking me personally, I just don't want to write it up here until it's settled.

IanB

imported post

HankT wrote:

I think I have an answer for you Aslan:

HankT wrote:
Good points. People ask the darndest things. Even when they are not entitled to the answers. Even when they simply want to use the answer to attempt some rhetorical categorizationor other, based on exclusion usually.

Most of the time, they don't realize they do it.

Sitrep

imported post

I have to agree with imperialism2024, I'm also curious as to what was locked/deleted and what the reason was. I would hope that you could take up issues with a mod by PM, and at least get some sort of logical reply as to why the situation was handled that way. The forum has rules so that one can know what is or is not acceptable to post.

Obviously the mod could point to rule 5, but I would hope that they would give at least some kind of explanation in a PM.

Mainsail

imported post

A Truism: Any forum that attempts to promote reasonable and intelligent discussion of firearms and firearms rights will inevitably have closet anarchists and anti-government tinfoil hat wearing psychos attempting to compel everyone towards their paranoid viewpoint.

It’s all a conspiracy, the ‘man’ isn’t going to let you speak. We’ve heard it all before.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
A Truism: Any forum that attempts to promote reasonable and intelligent discussion of firearms and firearms rights will inevitably have closet anarchists and anti-government tinfoil hat wearing psychos attempting to compel everyone towards their paranoid viewpoint.

It’s all a conspiracy, the ‘man’ isn’t going to let you speak. We’ve heard it all before.
Hey tinfoil hats are all the rage in Olympia these days. They are even color coordinated now. In fact at least one of our city council members seems to be a member of the tinfoil hat crowd.

Don't knock the shiny metal hats 'till you've tried 'em! Whoops, mine just slipped.... I like Dick Cheney.... Halliburton is God's Personal Emissary on Earth.... mmm.... donuts.... arrraaagggaahhhh.........:lol:

I haven't seen any unduly locked threads where I hang out...

Steve

TrueBrit

imported post

Fellers, before we all get too torn up over the moderation here, whether it is over-zealous or not,maybe consider this;

OCDO is not a democracy, it is the personal fiefdom of Messrs. Pierce and Stollenwerk. They act as moderators themselves,and have seen fit to appoint member moderators to assist them. Their game, their rules.

For my own part, I have seen nothing that approaches "heavy-handed"moderation, and, truth to tell, have skated by myself with some questionable, "non-PC"stuff!

Longwatch seems to like to run a slightly tighter ship than the other mods choose to do, but I believe that he has every right to do so, and this encourages us to stay on topic, I think, and helps to prevent the unseemly flamewars that occasionally erupt.

Just my opinion, probably worth what you paid me for it!

TrueBrit.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:

Well, dammit. That's disappointing.

It's not like we have an abundance of participating members here in California. The State of California provides enough disincentive in the excersize of our rights, so there is no needforthe added detraction ofclashes between personalities and forum authorities.

cato

imported post

I diagnose to much on line time and proscribetwo chill pills, a session at the range and see ya all back here in a few days. Happy carrying!

Now, everyone all together...take a deep breath...smell the fresh salt air...enjoy the beautiful clouds...hoist the sails and enjoy the smooth sailing...team work and perseverance:

Attachments

• history_18.jpg
    history_18.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 239

imperialism2024

imported post

Mainsail wrote:

Ah, so we anarchists are behind it, then?

:celebrate

I forgot, the Second Amendment really implies the Right to Hunt. There's no reasonable way to read that as a check on overzealous government...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote
Ah, so we anarchists are behind it, then?

:celebrate

I forgot, the Second Amendment really implies the Right to Hunt. There's no reasonable way to read that as a check on overzealous government...
mmm... anarchists..... mmmm.... government good.... armed citizens bad.... DANG!!! There goes the shiny metal hat again!!!:banghead:

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

les_aker wrote:
I have come to the same conclusion.

Mee too... AND it is almost always the same two goofs that get the threads locked by baiting with their scewed logic (or should we say lack of).

Rather than locking threads maybe the trouble making anti-OC and pro police abuse posters should be warned/banned?

Just a suggestion.