• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's your funniest OC story?

sjhipple

imported post

I don't have any really funny ones...but you might.

My latest encounter that gave me a small chuckle was when a clerk told me, not asked me, "you're a police officer." He nodded his head with a fake smile while he said it. It was like he was trying to assure himself that I was "allowed" to protect myself. I politely informed him that I was "just" a citizen and left (others were behind me in line). He seemed to find my career choice somewhat off-putting. :lol:

Thundar

imported post

Late night 7-11

Clerk - Are you a cop?

Me - No.

Clerk - Why do you have a gun?

Me - To protect myself.

Clerk - Why would you need to do that?

Lady coming into convenience store - That creep over there just tried to rob me. (Pointing out into the parking lot.)

Clerk - Never mind.:idea:

sjhipple

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Late night 7-11

Clerk - Are you a cop?

Me - No.

Clerk - Why do you have a gun?

Me - To protect myself.

Clerk - Why would you need to do that?

Lady coming into convenience store - That creep over there just tried to rob me. (Pointing out into the parking lot.)

Clerk - Never mind.:idea:
laughter.gif

Did that really happen?

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

This one's great... really happened like 2 months ago.

I'm getting ready for a day of shooting upstairs in my room at my apartment. I have a gun rack in my truck, and I decide to carry the AR and the Shotgun in there so I throw the shotgun sling over my shoulder and carry the AR in one hand. I have two pistols in my backpack which is filled to the brim with ammo/other crap. I have on a SERPA holster with my XD .45 in it on my hip and a pro-tech shoulder system on over my shirt with my friends Ruger 9mm. I'm wearing a camo boonie hat with the brim snapped up and I have on my black oakleys. I admit that I look like a short/fat Rambo wannabe. I wish I had taken a picture because it was amazing.

Well anyway, my roommate, who just happens to be friends with a bunch of obviously antis, is having a study session downstairs that he fails to tell me about. There are literally 15 or so people in my living room when I come walking out of my bedroom. They were all laughing loudly, having a grand ol' time until my roommate looked up and saw me. He stopped, looked at the floor and shook his head in amazement. When the others looked up at me, armed for an international conflict, they all stopped and stared.. most with mouths agape. About this time came the knock on the door from the guy who was acompanying me, also OCing two pistols. He came in, we sat downstairs among everyone that was there for about 5 minutes discussing driving directions. We were the only ones to speak for the entire time. We left for the farm, saying goodbye to everyone and had a great day.

When I got back, my roomate expectedly informed me that everyone there was so unnerved and bothered by it, that their entire study session was ruined because it was all they could talk about. They apparently thought they were all about to die in a hail of gunfire.

Maybe I shouldn't think this is funny, but I got a good chuckle out of it. Mainly the imagery of how I must've looked to these people must have been just ridiculous. Anyone carrying four guns at one time must be quite a sight!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Before I tell the story I need to tell you that I have never been known as Mr.Tact. A friend who was also an assistant CA once said..."Nap, your an asshole....a likable asshole...but an asshole"

Anyway....When I was with the state, one of the Judges asked me to build a rifle to present to an award winner.

When I finished it, I took it to my office. I was in the elevator with Barbara...The building busybody.

She asked, "why do you have that?"

In case the Indians attack!

Isn't it illegal to have a rifle in a State Building?

Only on the 6th Monday of of the month.

You aren't going to shoot anyone are you?

I hadn't thought of it until I got on the elevator.

Well...I never!

I can understand WHY!

Silence:celebrate

armedinrichmond

imported post

I was driving to Nags Head in July with my girlfriend. We stopped at the Border Store, since she likes to stand with one foot in VA and the other in NC every time she crosses the border, and I switched from CC to OC since I knew it was legal, but wasn't sure if NC honored VA CCWs. I wandered around a bit, looking at fireworks, and took a few boxes of sparklers and Black Cats to the tobacco shop in the back to pay for them. My girlfriend was by my side as the cashier rang my purchases up, and when she was done, she (the cashier) asked, "Just out of curiosity, why do you have a gun on your waist?" I replied with the stock "Personal self-defense" line, smiled, and left with my fireworks.

When we got to the car, my girlfriend told me that while the cashier was ringing my stuff up, she was looking at her with a concerned look the entire time, and mouthed "Are you okay?" more than once. Apparently, she thought I was trying to kidnap her or something.

ChinChin

imported post

I posted this originally on PDO after it happened.

Summer of 2002

The girlfriend, (now wifey) and I decided we wanted to have a long weekend away from the hustle and bustle of NOVA and relax. Being a colonial history buff I wanted to travel down to Historic Williamsburg and give her a guided tour as she had never been. Being as it was going to be a bit of a drive for us, and as I had recently been “indoctrinated” into the whole OC experience, I wanted to see if this would be a location I could open carry at. An extensive look at their website did not net me any information as to permitted or restricted, so I decided to try my luck and ask once I got down there.

On Saturday morning we left our hotel room and with Glock secured to my holster and on my belt, we drove to Colonial Williamsburg. We headed into town and first came to the blacksmith’s shop. The smithy was busy pounding away at a piece of iron and chatting with only 2 other tourists who seemed to only have a passing interest in his work. I walked over to him and asked him for a moment of his time, which he was only too happy to give me. In a low voice I said I was legally carrying a firearm but wasn’t sure of Williamsburg’s policy and could he tell me if it was allowed or forbidden. In a tone twice as loud as I had, he answered me. I’ll try to recall his response as best as I can:

“That good sir is one of the important questions now being asked by the brave men of the Continental congress. Should we as free men and women be allowed to carry arms and armament to protect the very vestment of the good lord, namely that of life and liberty. Do we have the right to protect our lands and lives against a tyrant and his army which care not for our safety and our children, but only for coins to be placed in his coffers. Nay good sir, stay your pistol upon your person and be ready to answer the call to fight not only for freedom and liberty, but for our homes and for principal”

Needless to say, I was smiling from ear to ear. I would have excepted a simple “it’s allowed” but the smithy went all out to answer a question and to weave it into a historical context. It was to date the SECOND best response I had ever had. The FIRST best came an hour after the experience with the smithy.

We were walking down the main street, looking at various arts and crafts being offered (her idea) and enjoying the scenery. I got a glance or two with the Glock 17 on my waist, but mostly we were ignored. Ahead we saw a squad of British soldiers marching up the street and being led by a Major who was dressed to the nines. As they got close, one of the conscripts in the middle pointed over to me and proclaimed loudly “Sir! That colonial is armed, shall we detain?” The Major stopped the squad and looked at me. Again, I’ll try and recall his response as best I can. While slowly walking towards me, he announced:

“No Mister Danvers, while his majesty has proclaimed that any possession of pistol or musket is forbade and forbidden, these rabble pose no serious threat to either King nor Crown. For these colonist to believe they could ever stand up to the might of his Majesty’s fine fighting men would be madness and that of sheer folly. No. . .we will allow this one to keep his pistol.” The Major then leaned in very close to me, so that only I could hear him and whispered to me “For now.”

He then walked back to the front of the squad and marched them along back down the street.

We’ve gone back since then, but never got quite the same response as we did the first time.

vtme_grad98

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
“No Mister Danvers, while his majesty has proclaimed that any possession of pistol or musket is forbade and forbidden, these rabble pose no serious threat to either King nor Crown. For these colonist to believe they could ever stand up to the might of his Majesty’s fine fighting men would be madness and that of sheer folly. No. . .we will allow this one to keep his pistol.” The Major then leaned in very close to me, so that only I could hear him and whispered to me “For now.”

Talk about great improvisational skills. This actually makes me feel a little bit bad about not taking a visit that way, seeing how I live so close. I guess it's true that you don't really appreciate the things in your own back yard.

72Malibu

imported post

I haven't had a funny experience, but I have come up with a funny response in case someone ever asks me if I'm a LEO: "No, just an every day citizen, although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!".

I told it to my wife... and she didn't get it. :banghead:

sjhipple

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
ChinChin wrote:

Talk about great improvisational skills. This actually makes me feel a little bit bad about not taking a visit that way, seeing how I live so close. I guess it's true that you don't really appreciate the things in your own back yard.

Colonial Williamsburg is the best....I repeat the best vacation you will ever take...especially if you're a history buff. They never, ever, ever step out of character. In fact, you forget that you aren't in 18th century VA. You can approach anyone on the street and get an answer about what's going on. Just go up to people and ask "excuse me, sir, what day is it?" and you'll get a great answer. You can see Madison debating with clergy about whether there should be religious freedom in the new VA and...you know, I could go on and on and on and on with stories. The most amazing vacation of my life...you really get the sense of the spirit of these patriots...it's something I'll never forget.

LEO 229, you and I are going to take a trip down this summer, mm-kay? ;)

.....Hey that's actually a good idea...an OCDO Williamsburg trip.

**EDIT**

LEO 229, that little side-comment was all in good fun and not meant to provoke or anything. However, it would be fun to have a group of OCers go to Williamsburg...I wonder if the British would come and take us away.

Btw, you can join the militia while you're in Williamsburg...it's alot of fun, but the younger kids always start crying because the sgts are yelling at them so much. :D

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OCDO Williamsburg Trip -- I'M IN!!!!!!!

As long as it's during the "season" -- I've only been there in Winter.

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Before I tell the story I need to tell you that I have never been known as Mr.Tact. A friend who was also an assistant CA once said..."Nap, your an asshole....a likable asshole...but an asshole"

Anyway....When I was with the state, one of the Judges asked me to build a rifle to present to an award winner.

When I finished it, I took it to my office. I was in the elevator with Barbara...The building busybody.

She asked, "why do you have that?"

In case the Indians attack!

Isn't it illegal to have a rifle in a State Building?

Only on the 6th Monday of of the month.

You aren't going to shoot anyone are you?

I hadn't thought of it until I got on the elevator.

Well...I never!

I can understand WHY!

Silence:celebrate
Two questions; When the elevator came to the floor did you say "ladies first" with a swoop of your hand? And two, did she actually turn her back to you to leave :^)?

Neplusultra

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Maybe I shouldn't think this is funny, but I got a good chuckle out of it. Mainly the imagery of how I must've looked to these people must have been just ridiculous. Anyone carrying four guns at one time must be quite a sight!
Naw, it was funny :^). Perhaps you should invite his friends out for a day of rampage against some paper? I find skeet to be great too. Think of yourself as an evangelist.....

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not strictly an OC story, but firearm related...

Back when I lived in a small town in Massachusetts, I applied for a concealed carry permit. A few weeks after I applied, I was driving through the center of town and was pulled over by the PD. I was pretty sure I had not done anything wrong, so I was confused. It turns out it was the police chief, and he pulled me over to tell me that my permit was ready and I could pick it up at the station.

What's even funnier is that was actually the second time I was pulled over by the local PD for the purpose of giving me a message.

I am a long time lurker, and finally decided to register so I could tell that story!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Carpetbagger wrote:
Back when I lived in a small town in Massachusetts,
Welcome to OCDO! Hilarious story and I am sure it is a very small town, because that's about the only way the chief is pulling someone to give them a message. :lol:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carpetbagger wrote:
Not strictly an OC story, but firearm related...

Back when I lived in a small town in Massachusetts, <snip>

Wouldn't have been Lenox, would it <grin>.

My Dad had a carry permit in MA. When he went to the police department to report the theft of some outdoor art (Dad was a wrought-iron sculptor), the Chief had to say (to cover himself) "Len, if you see it in someone's yard -- CALL ME FIRST!"

Cue-Ball

imported post

Chin Chin, I don't care what stories anyone else posts, I think you've won the contest hands-down.

You may want to inquire about getting a job promoting Williamsburg as well, because you have made me seriously consider a trip to the other coast for a visit once Spring rolls around.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

ama-gi wrote:
vtme_grad98 wrote:
ChinChin wrote:

Btw, you can join the militia while you're in Williamsburg...it's alot of fun, but the younger kids always start crying because the sgts are yelling at them so much. :D
Got news for you. You don't need to join the militia. If you're a male between the ages of 17 and 45, you are already a member of the common militia. It's in the U.S. code, like it or not.