• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flashmob robberies...

Tomahawk

imported post

unrequited wrote:
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=7587

Interesting new dynamic that I've only heard of in UK muggings and robberies... uh-oh.

Wow. Lots of things to talk about there. Starting with the stupidity of thinking that just because you're with a bunch of other people you're face isn't going to be on the camera video. All the more for the paddy wagon round-up.

Then you have to ask the bigger question of what is happening in a country where a hundred or so teenagers, none of whom looks like they're starving or lacking the luxury of designer clothes, have no moral qualms about doing that.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Then you have to ask the bigger question of what is happening in a country where a hundred or so teenagers, none of whom looks like they're starving or lacking the luxury of designer clothes, have no moral qualms about doing that.

It's an example of (small) group-think. They resolve any moral qualms by being totally and simplisticallyself-centered in their motives and goals. They become, incrementally, oblivious to the real world about them. And the groups brook no disagreements--no one is allowed to disagree with the group's direction. Usually, they make internal protestersa "loyalty" issue.

No criticism or new ideas allowed.

Such small systems aredescribed as "information-tight" and they do not flourish. The systems are not viable, so they end. Such systems are neither powerful enoughnor adaptable enough to survive. Whether they're positivev or negative outputting systems, if they are "information-tight," they always fizzle out. Unsustainable.

PavePusher

imported post

This phenomena was the subject of a recent CSI episode. It was also explored in a slightly different theme by the science fiction writer Larry Niven. Life imitates art? Or vice-versa...?

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Anyone interested in this topic should read The Crowd by Gustave Le Bon. This is a classic socio-psychological analysis of crowd behavior. It is a little outdated (written in the 1890s) and the author is a racial bigot and mysogonist. However, his analysis of crowd behavior as one of the earliest structural theorists in sociology have provided a great framework for the study of crowd behavior in reference to criminal mobs and revolutionary crowds. Take what he has to say with a grain of salt, but there are some very compelling arguments in this book.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

how do you handle a large group of attackers?

I'll stand by what a local police officer said in another thread I read on this forum a long time ago.

'Pump as many bullets in to the closest attacker, as fast as youcan, and all the other little cowards will turn and run like hell'.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Well, I wouldn't shoot the first guy/gal too many times, just once is enough IMV, then the next guy/gal, etc., if anyone else is still around.

In short, don't be so discriminatory...liberals prefer a policy of non-discrimination...so in order to please everyone, just fairly distribute the bullets around to those closest to you without regardto race, age, gender, national origin, creed, etc..

;)

-- John D.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
how do you handle a large group of attackers?

I'll stand by what a local police officer said in another thread I read on this forum a long time ago.

'Pump as many bullets in to the closest attacker, as fast as youcan, and all the other little cowards will turn and run like hell'.
:what:I've seen a few too many YouTubes ofmob-on-mob violence to think that alarge crowdintent on doing something is going to let one guy with a handgun stand in their way. That's especially if the crowd themselves is armed.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Interesting how many people here are talking about using lethal force on someone who is comitting a misdemeanor theft. Now, if you feel you are in danger or they come at you in a threatening manner, that is a different story. I'm sure just the fact that you are pointing a gun at them is going to make the crowd leave, it is after all a bunch of kids that I'm sure don't want to be killed over condoms and beer.