• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a gun in Columubs?

Joe Sixpack

imported post

hello, i know this forum is mainly about open carry in ohio however i could'nt find another ohio based firearm message board, and need some help.

Im planing on getting my first gun(s) in a few days a beretta 92, a S&W 22a and a .22lr rifle either a marlin 60 or 795.. or a savage arms 64..

anyway i was told to check out walmart before going to a gun shop because you can offten find shotguns and rifles a little cheaper there..

i went to a walmart here in a ohio generally speaking this was the first time i can remember where i actually looked around the sporting goods department after about 5mins me and my brother in law was like.. um.. ok wheres the guns?

turns out all they had was a few muzzle loaders and thats pretty much it.

at some point the gun running the department showed up so i asked him.. "wheres the rifles?"

he informed me they dont sell them and most if not all walmarts inside columbus do not.

so of coursed i asked "why?" and he said it was mostly because there is a 35 dollar permit per gun you had to pay to buy one inside columbus..

being that i've never bought anything other then airguns up to this point although i "though" i had done my research on buying a gun in ohio i could'nt really say much since im such a newbie and could very well have simply missed that fact.

he said to try other walmarts out side of columbus and had just been transfered from the walmart in circilevile, he seemed generally very knowledgable although he did say a marlin 60 was gonna be about 220 for a blued one.. although i thought they only came in black and stainless?

prices i've seen are 130-170 for a model 60.. but again he seemed very knowledgeable.

im planing on going to vances shooter supplies tue's why are they closed sun/mon anyway? which the guy at walmart also said is very good selection and customer service although a tad high price wise.

so can anyone clear this up? and also suggest gunshops or opinion on vances? i thought i was ready to go buy one but maybe im not.

i want to make sure i have all my facts straight and also get the very best deal i can esp since i will be paying cash which im also told should afford me some extra haggling power.

Deanimator

imported post

All "permits", "registration", "assault weapon bans", etc. are defunct in Ohio with the passage of HB347.

Other than "discharging in city limits" type laws, everything else has been preempted and invalidated.

Joe Sixpack

imported post

ah thanks for clearing that up for me, but just for completeness was there such a permit required to buy a gun in columbus before that?

jabeatty

Columbia Township (Cincinnati), Ohio, USA
imported post

Joe Sixpack wrote:
Im planing on getting my first gun(s) in a few days a beretta 92, a S&W 22a and a .22lr rifle either a marlin 60 or 795.. or a savage arms 64.
There's a 22A listed in the OFCC For-Sale forum...

Joe Sixpack wrote:
so of coursed i asked "why?" and he said it was mostly because there is a 35 dollar permit per gun you had to pay to buy one inside columbus..
Never heard of it...

Joe Sixpack wrote:
im planing on going to vances shooter supplies tue's why are they closed sun/mon anyway? which the guy at walmart also said is very good selection and customer service although a tad high price wise.
IMO, you'll generally find lower prices at Vance's on their sale items than you would find at any Wal-Mart.

Btw, any particular rationale behind your choice of a Beretta 92?

Joe Sixpack

imported post

since when did picking out a gun have to be rational decision?

actually i've just always wanted one, i like the style and they have a reputation for reliability and accuracy, 9mm is one of the cheapest rounds to shoot.

some say 92's are to big for their cal. but i have fairly large hands. so large handguns are somewhat of a plus unless i was gonna CC which i have no intention to anytime in the near future.

i dont like glocks because there is no manual safety and rational or not i want a gun that is made of metal.. er mostly.

if you was'nt gonna suggest a glock then undoubtedly a 1911 maybe?
actually those are nice but although there are practical reasons to get a 92 it mostly comes down to i've had a itch to get one for years and now that i have some money for it i gotta scratch it.

not to mention Berettas are easy on the eyes (to me at least).. i'd like to get my hands on a hi-point c9 too, i've heard they feel like bricks but shoot very well.. ugly as sin but probably about even with the glocks in the looks department imo.. it would be kinda cool to have a gun made in ohio.

jabeatty

Columbia Township (Cincinnati), Ohio, USA
imported post

Joe Sixpack wrote:
since when did picking out a gun have to be rational decision?
Joe, sometimes a question is just a question. :)

Joe Sixpack wrote:
actually i've just always wanted one, i like the style and they have a reputation for reliability and accuracy, 9mm is one of the cheapest rounds to shoot.
All good reasons... although some might dispute that "reputation for reliability."

Joe Sixpack wrote:
some say 92's are to big for their cal. but i have fairly large hands. so large handguns are somewhat of a plus unless i was gonna CC which i have no intention to anytime in the near future.
I have big hands too, and that really opens up the field to a lot of pistols that others find uncomfortable or impractical to carry.

Joe Sixpack wrote:
if you was'nt gonna suggest a glock then undoubtedly a 1911 maybe?
I wasn't going to suggest anything! I just wondered how you came to your decision...

See, I grew up in a gun-free, pacifist home. When I bought my first handgun, I bought an Astra A-100 (a nice little Sig 226 copy) because it was a nice-fitting piece that held 17+1 rounds of that all-powerful 9mm that I'd been reading about. :)

Since the popular media (and gun rags, to a slightly lesser extent) still believes that a "nine" can cut a man in half when wielded by a street thug with no previous experience, I figure it's never a bad thing to find out where a potential buyer is coming from.

Joe Sixpack wrote:
actually those are nice but although there are practical reasons to get a 92 it mostly comes down to i've had a itch to get one for years and now that i have some money for it i gotta scratch it.
Careful - it seems when you scratch that particular itch, it tends to spread. Firearms are like potato chips in that regard... :)

Joe Sixpack

imported post

oh lol sorry when you said "rational reason" i was almost positive you was gonna suggest a glock , or maybe a 1911 glockers are fiercely loyal.

not that i think glocks are bad just not my cup of tea.. keg of bear, what ever.

hopefully i'll find what im looking for at vances since im looking for a older all inox 92 i'll probably have to resort to buying online for that since i also want it nib.

they got a stainless taurus 92 on sell though i'll look at in the mean time.
i'll let ya know how it goes.

Brian D.

imported post

Joe, I'm fiercely loyal to 1911s and Browning Hi Powers, but can't think of anything bad to say about the Beretta 92/96 lineup. My experince with them has been very positive overall, and in years of attending competition I've rarely seen any of them "misbehave" unless it was related to badly reloaded ammo.

If you stick with the olderversions all the small parts are steel or aluminum, rather than plastic found on many of the newer ones. For that reason I can't get warm and fuzzy about the intended replacement for the 92/96, the recently introduced 90Two. More use of polymer equals lower manufacturing cost/bid prices I guess, but itsure doesn't strike me as a good step forward. Hope the "old school" 92s and 96s stay in the lineup for a long time.

Sometimes Vances has good trade in deals on police/security handguns, I've seen numerous such Berettas there in the past. Does the fact that both jabeatty and I live over 100 miles away from that store and give it a thumbs up tell you that they're probably doingsomething right, btw?

Joe Sixpack

imported post

well i made it to vances yesterday pretty nice shop lots of guns and the staff was nice, prices was ok.. although i overpaid for a taurus revolver i got decent deals on other stuff which makes up the differnce i think.. i bought a bunch of target ammo only to see dickssportinggoods has 9mm on sell for a buck cheaper then i paid per box :/

got a used italy made 92fs full inox beretta very clean though w/1 nickel factory 15rd mag, and 2 generic knock off black 15rn mags.. the knock off seem to have some sort of problem loading where they get bound up not real sure if they can be fixed or i shoudl just pitch them.., a taurus 627 tracker .357 which feels pretty light for such a big gun, a S&W 22a honestly though i think the 22a is one of the heavest in the bunch it's real solid and a savage arms 64 (.22) with scope.. but er i wont be using it cause it's horrible but you can't beat a free scope i guess, the savage looks like it might not be half bad a shooter for 110 bucks i guess you can't complain to much it's a synthetic stock (evil black plastic) not crazy about plastic but it otherwise feels pretty good.

they was all out of taurus 92's so i'll have ot wait for a new shipment., i wanted to get a marlin 60 but oddly they had none new and the only one they had was a beat up used one.. and they want to much for a new one anyway.

tooks some snap shots today but they are'nt of the best of quality party camera and partly cause i did'nt feel like setting them up proper for a photoshoot.

http://port47.ath.cx/misc/guns

all and all vances was pretty good i think.